skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Notre Dame,, So much of history has been lost to man kind today,, Truly a shame

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Such a terrible shame I pray it’s rebuilt in my lifetime.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The investigators are looking into the the renovation area, I guess there was a tremendous amount of on going construction, from what I have read.
I doubt it was some wack job that started it, at least I would hate to think so anyway. I was never there, but it was on my bucket list

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It's way too early in the game to expect investigators to officially determine a cause. I expect the investigation will take weeks or months. Despite that, some politicians have already stated it was "accidental".

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've been to and stood in the main cathedral. I am not a very religious person at all but it was a moving experience for me.

This is a sad day.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Saw the drone footage last night. Looked like a huge BBQ. Interestingly, the way it looked from above and what happened below were 2 different things.

The building was constructed like a series of individual vaulted buildings so the burning roof basically burned on top of the inner stone roof and not inside the Nave. The only place the Nave was penetrated was where the spire came through when it toppled.

There was smoke and water damage but the nave was basically intact.

I think the big issue will be how structurally sound the stonework is now, after the heat of the fore and the incineration of the wooden framework inside.

860 year old wood is dryer than a popcorn fart so when it burned, it went quick and hot.

I cannot imagine the cost of rebuilding nor can I imagine where they would get the skilled people to do that. Skilled artisans like that don't exist today. We live in a plastic, cell phone world now.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Flip there are a plethora of very skilled stone masons and skilled woodworker artisans, that have studied the OLD WAYS and are very adapt to doing the work. And Im betting most, if not all of them would give anything to be part of the reconstruction if they could.
And while it may rise and look the same, the mystique and history would be gone forever. You and I and most everyone alive now, would never seen it restored to its former glory

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There may be Skeets and there may not be as well. The world we live in today isn't conducive to that sort of craftsmanship.

For certain, we won't see it restored in our lifetime and I seriously doubt France can afford the bill either.

People today are more concerned with today than preserving the past. Too bad really.

I guess we will see how it plays out. For now, it's a stinky water logged mess.

comforthill

Equipment
B2620,back blade,mower,tiller,loader,middlebuster,landscape rake
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Back many years ago my daughter and her mom traveled to Rome. Along the way they they were in Paris for a couple of days and visited Notre Dame. She said it was the highlight of the trip even over Rome and the Vatican.
Sad to see this happen. So much history and irreplaceable things lost.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's sad and devastating, but it's not the first time that it needed remodeled / rebuilt.

It's been around for many a year. ;)

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Flip there are a plethora of very skilled stone masons and skilled woodworker artisans, that have studied the OLD WAYS and are very adapt to doing the work. And Im betting most, if not all of them would give anything to be part of the reconstruction if they could.
I agree skeets, on both counts. Hell....oops I mean, Heck if I could swing it I would gladly volunteer to be a part of the history of Notre Dame.
And while it may rise and look the same, the mystique and history would be gone forever. You and I and most everyone alive now, would never seen it restored to its former glory
After the next couple hundred years this will just add to the history and mystique.
There may be Skeets and there may not be as well. The world we live in today isn't conducive to that sort of craftsmanship.
I think there are plenty of Craftsmen with the skills to tackle this, and with today’s technology it should make the job easier unless France’s version of “O.S.H.A.” gets involved. :D

For certain, we won't see it restored in our lifetime and I seriously doubt France can afford the bill either.
And that is what it all boils down to, the “Euros”. We as human beings can do anything with enough money and it sounds like that money is flowing in in a big way. Individuals and Corporations are getting in line with huge donations to get their names out there. In the list I saw I did not see one “Anonymous”. I just hope they don’t get their names plastered on the side of the building, “Brought to you by (fill in the blank)”.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Wood for the roof will be impossible to find, steel or iron is the probable replacement...
Modern cranes and carving techniques will speed the work,
I predict 5-10 years to rebuild..

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Wood for the roof will be impossible to find,
None left in France, perhaps. But there's thousands of oak logs stacked in rows to dry at the hardwood flooring plant down the road from me. I'm sure the wood can be found somewhere, given enough money.

However, the hundreds of tons of lead roofing that the wood was holding up presents a different challenge...

Whatever the final design choices, I predict the replacement will incorporate a sprinkler system.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wood for the roof will be impossible to find, steel or iron is the probable replacement...
A friend pointed out that in Versailles there is a forest of hardwood trees planted a few hundred years ago just for that scenario. The old ones planned ahead for contingencies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A friend pointed out that in Versailles there is a forest of hardwood trees planted a few hundred years ago just for that scenario. The old ones planned ahead for contingencies.

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Do a Google search on Andrew Tallon. In 2015 he did a laser scan of the entire building, accurate to 5mm. His point cloud data could be the beginnings of CAD files to replace or improve on the original framing.
Unfortunately he died of a brain tumor a couple of years ago, but his data is safely stored for future use.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is plenty of wood out there, I know I live in the middle of most of it. :D

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Skeptic that I sometimes am, I'm thinking of the Bartholomew Day Massacre (Catholic/Monarchial murder of estimated 30K Protestants) which occurred virtually surrounding the edifice and the moral turpitude of it's associated clergy and wondering if anyone might recognize it as an "Act of God".

There's nothing more dangerous than a religious fundamentalist ,,, of any flavor.

Investigators are suggesting an "electrical short" may be the impetus.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
There's nothing more dangerous than a religious fundamentalist ,,, of any flavor.
It is disturbing how frequently evil cloaks itself in the masquerade of religious belief.