cracked rim - no replacement available

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
B21 rear wheel rim has a crack that circles the bolts. No replacement available.
Ordered and paid for one at Kubota dealer and a week later was told not available. (unless we buy one with a tire that does not match and we do not need) Coleman equipment also told me it is not available.
Any suggestions?

The other rear rim was replaced before we acquired the tractor with the new version of the rim.

Attachments

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
You might could be able to have it repaired. It's not a highway vehicle, so it's not 'as crucial' (emphasis on as crucial) of a fix.

I see the crack in the pic, you sure it's steel and not just the paint? Not to question your judgement, but I don't know how inclined you are.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Any competent weld shop can gouge the crack out and weld and grind it. After a rattle can paint job, only you will know.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look on Ebay, You'll need to know the size and width of the rim, Bolt spacing, and center size hole.

Or find a local rim repair/ manufacturer, they should be able to make you the rim or put a new center in yours.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd make a 'reinforcement' ring from 1/8" plate, about 2" wide with appropriate holes and have it welded onto the rim. There's more than enough threads to remount the rim. I've done this with bigger tractors with loaders, on the front rims . Too much stress for a regular rim. I'm surprised to see it on the rear though maybe it's been abused in the past or bad steel ?

Jay

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'd make a 'reinforcement' ring from 1/8" plate, about 2" wide with appropriate holes and have it welded onto the rim. There's more than enough threads to remount the rim. I've done this with bigger tractors with loaders, on the front rims . Too much stress for a regular rim. I'm surprised to see it on the rear though maybe it's been abused in the past or bad steel ?

Jay
+1 on this if you can not source a rim. I would recommend going with 1/4 steel or a little thicker and around 12 inches in diameter. Also, do not weld continuously around the rim. Use stitch welds to allow for stress relief. Cover it with something after welding to slow down the cooling to prevent thermal shock.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
+1 on this if you can not source a rim. I would recommend going with 1/4 steel or a little thicker and around 12 inches in diameter. Also, do not weld continuously around the rim. Use stitch welds to allow for stress relief. Cover it with something after welding to slow down the cooling to prevent thermal shock.
YES! Use STITCH WELDS!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My L225 had those hard to find front wheels, so the previous owner had just cut, welded, and drilled some plates, good for another 35 years. Find someone who know what they are doing and you should be good to go.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Surprised nobody has mentioned it but the tire should be dismounted before welding on rim. Could be dangerous situation if tire is left on rim.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't see how stitch welding the donut plate with the tire on the rim would cause any problem when taking your time. What do you think will happen?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I don't see how stitch welding the donut plate with the tire on the rim would cause any problem when taking your time. What do you think will happen?
It is all about this irreversible fast tire decomposition called pyrolysis.

You do not know you have started it and then you cannot stop it. This degradation process can also be started in ways other than welding such as:

overheated brakes
equipment contact with high voltage power lines
tire or equipment fires
lightning strike
driving long distances with underinflated tires

In most North American jurisdictions it is illegal to weld a rim with the tire on it because people have been killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLeji8bLOk

Dave

Pyrolysis is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material which can occur at elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen. This decomposition process only requires the presence of rubber and heat. When heat is applied to the tire or to tire components, hydrocarbon vapors are released inside the tire. As the vapors are released, the air pressure and temperature within the tire increase dramatically. These vapors are highly flammable. If the flammable vapor inside the tire makes contact with oxygen at a temperature in excess of 400 degrees Celsius, auto-ignition can occur, resulting in an explosion.

Once the decomposition process begins, it is irreversible. There is no visual indication that the decomposition process is taking place. Depending on the particular circumstances, an explosion may occur immediately, within minutes or several hours after the exposure to the heat source. In many instances, an explosion can cause the tire and/or wheel components to be thrown great distances, resulting in severe worker injuries and/or fatalities as well as significant property damage.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
It is all about this irreversible fast tire decomposition called pyrolysis.

You do not know you have started it and then you cannot stop it. This degradation process can also be started in ways other than welding such as:

overheated brakes
equipment contact with high voltage power lines
tire or equipment fires
lightning strike
driving long distances with underinflated tires

In most North American jurisdictions it is illegal to weld a rim with the tire on it because people have been killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLeji8bLOk

Dave

Pyrolysis is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material which can occur at elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen. This decomposition process only requires the presence of rubber and heat. When heat is applied to the tire or to tire components, hydrocarbon vapors are released inside the tire. As the vapors are released, the air pressure and temperature within the tire increase dramatically. These vapors are highly flammable. If the flammable vapor inside the tire makes contact with oxygen at a temperature in excess of 400 degrees Celsius, auto-ignition can occur, resulting in an explosion.

Once the decomposition process begins, it is irreversible. There is no visual indication that the decomposition process is taking place. Depending on the particular circumstances, an explosion may occur immediately, within minutes or several hours after the exposure to the heat source. In many instances, an explosion can cause the tire and/or wheel components to be thrown great distances, resulting in severe worker injuries and/or fatalities as well as significant property damage.
I learned something new today.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Can you just pull the valve stem to prevent buildup?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I thought we were discussing stitch welding a disc to the wheel for additional support.

Have you ever taken an old automobile body panel and cut it just to weld back together? Much amperage applied too long and you have a mess. However, you weld a spot, then let it cool, or even use a damp cloth to cool and go on.

Welding a tractor wheel with much higher amperage, but going slow and letting it cool....there is no way you are going to get it 400 deg at the tire. Or maybe the tires that were on the rims I welded on were prehistoric rubber and not affected, but they were 16.9x38 tires.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I thought we were discussing stitch welding a disc to the wheel for additional support.

Have you ever taken an old automobile body panel and cut it just to weld back together? Much amperage applied too long and you have a mess. However, you weld a spot, then let it cool, or even use a damp cloth to cool and go on.

Welding a tractor wheel with much higher amperage, but going slow and letting it cool....there is no way you are going to get it 400 deg at the tire. Or maybe the tires that were on the rims I welded on were prehistoric rubber and not affected, but they were 16.9x38 tires.
Glossed over it. Don't apply anyway. Not tossing the rim and tire in a bonfire, just doing some welding on the spider.

People today take something simple and complicate it. For what reason, I have no idea except maybe to inflate their ego's.

Duh.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Can you just pull the valve stem to prevent buildup?

An imaginary issue. If in doubt take the tire valve core out. Much simpler than pulling valve stem.

Duh again.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
lol at sidecarflip

Last edited by a moderator: