3 Point Broadcast Spreader

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
I am looking for options for a 3 pt spreader for my L2501. I am located in South East Washington. So far the cheapest local option I have found is from Rankin Equipment (model PL-180). That runs about $700 with taxes included. The local Kubota dealer wants $150 to assemble it on top of the $700, but I plan to opt out of that as I should be able to handle that myself.

I have looked at other places such as rural king and king kutter, but the price of shipping is driving the overall price around that $700 + range.

Does anyone know of any other options for the Pacific Northwest? Would I be better off with a tow being spreader from Home depot? I have about 4 acres of lawn. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would guess you're spreading fertilizer. Some local co-ops have small fertilizer buggies you can rent when you purchase fertilizer from them. A few years back I used one behind a B8200 and had no troubles.

You purchase the fertilizer at a reduced price vs bagged product, them pay like $20 rental fee. You have them put the amount you need (and the blend), in the buggy then pull it home with your PU. Then when home, hook your tractor PTO to the buggy and spread it quicker than it took you to get it home!

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
I would guess you're spreading fertilizer. Some local co-ops have small fertilizer buggies you can rent when you purchase fertilizer from them. A few years back I used one behind a B8200 and had no troubles.

You purchase the fertilizer at a reduced price vs bagged product, them pay like $20 rental fee. You have them put the amount you need (and the blend), in the buggy then pull it home with your PU. Then when home, hook your tractor PTO to the buggy and spread it quicker than it took you to get it home!
Yes, spreading fertilizer. I will have to check with a local co-op. Thanks, I didnt think of that. I already checked local craigslist and other ads. Apparently I'm not the only one looking for one as I saw a few wanted adds for 3 pt spreaders.

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
Tractor Supply has them fr about 350 bucks.
I looked at tractor supply. It seems like they run higher prices for the 3 pt PTO here in the Pacific Northwest. Do you have a link to the one you were looking at?

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I looked at tractor supply. It seems like they run higher prices for the 3 pt PTO here in the Pacific Northwest. Do you have a link to the one you were looking at?

There's no such thing as a $350 3pt spreader, that's new. Let alone one for $350 @ TSC.
Cheapest ive seen new is Farm And Fleet for $480.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=spreader

As usual, TSC is priced near the moon compared to its competitors Farm And Fleet, and Rural King

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
If you have an ATV just get a small ground driven tow behind for it. Cheaper, takes less storage space and easier to clean it and the ATV.

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
If you have an ATV just get a small ground driven tow behind for it. Cheaper, takes less storage space and easier to clean it and the ATV.
I dont have an ATV. I was wondering if the ground driven tow behind would work ok with the tractor or not.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My local Tractor Supply has 3pt spreaders and the cheapest one is $569.00 with PTO shaft.

My local Agri Supply has them and cheapest one is $435.00 includes PTO shaft.

These locations are central NC for reference.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I dont have an ATV. I was wondering if the ground driven tow behind would work ok with the tractor or not.

They work fine, just be careful what you buy. The ones on Amazon (the inexpensive ones), the drive mechanism is prone to failure. I'd get a good Agri-Fab 185 pound spreader with real rubber tires. I have one, have had it for at least 10 years and it's been trouble free and you can lubricate the gearbox too.

There are 2 types of 3 point spreaders, the conventional spin plate ones and the 'pendular' ones. The Pendular spreaders are way more expensive but have no spin plate to corrode (remember, when spreading fertilizer, fertilizer is corrosive to metal parts so if you don't wash them thjroughly after use, next year when you go to use it, it will be corroded and locked up. The Pendular ones have few moving parts to corrode but are very expensive.

I have a 350 pound granular capacity spin plate pto spreader. It's around 15 years old and woks fine but I make sure it's washed and greased every time I use it before I put it away.

Other think you need to be sure of with a 3 point spreader is the spreader has an internal (in the cone) agitator or the fertilizer won't feed properly.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Flip is right about the gear boxes and other parts failing on the cheap ones. Ground driven should work. One other feature you should figure out is whether or not you can reach the turn off for the flow from your tractor. When you stop, fertilizer or seed continues to fall out the bottom until you close the plate at the bottom of the hopper.

If you aren't going to do this a lot, consider a walk behind push type. I spread seed over about an acre last night in half an hour. Might work better than running your tractor all over your lawn trying to get into the corners and keeping an even path, given you only have 4 acres and probably bushes and flower beds to dodge.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have to open the rear window and reach a way out to engage and shut off mine (3 point spreader) Like Sheepfarmer said, the material will continue to flow until you close the shutter.

I use my Agri-Fab behind the quad, not the tractor. I'd never be able to reach the gate lever with the tractor.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I am also looking for a lawn seed spreader / fertilizer spreader. Anyone familiar with the Land Pride PTS500? Anyone have a price for something like this?

Thanks.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Why would you spend $700 on a 3 point spreader? I just googled a lawn broadcast spreader and Lowe's and Amazon had several to pick from for under $150. At least one held 150 pounds. It would not take very long to do 4 acres and then pocket $550. Load the bucket with the bags and stop as needed and refill the spreader:)

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
Why would you spend $700 on a 3 point spreader? I just googled a lawn broadcast spreader and Lowe's and Amazon had several to pick from for under $150. At least one held 150 pounds. It would not take very long to do 4 acres and then pocket $550. Load the bucket with the bags and stop as needed and refill the spreader:)

I have had zero luck finding a QUALITY tow behind spreader. Ive tried 3now and all were scrap. Two of them didnt even last a single use. I wish i would of just spent the 700 on a land pride 3point spreader. I wasted 700 between the 3junk ones.

drs5082

Mar 3, 2019
US
I have had zero luck finding a QUALITY tow behind spreader. Ive tried 3now and all were scrap. Two of them didnt even last a single use. I wish i would of just spent the 700 on a land pride 3point spreader. I wasted 700 between the 3junk ones.
This is also my reasoning for going the 3 point. I could spend $350 for a "quality" tow behind that might last a few years or just spend the extra bucks and go with the 3 point that will last my lifetime as long as I take care of it.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx