Watch out for nails in tires at Tractor Store

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Watch out, the big box store with Tractor in its name near me has a bunch of morons running it and continuously leave pallet wood with nails in it strewn about all over the property. Might be the same all over the country considering the uptick in stupid over the last several years.

I shop there so im a customer and I was contracted to plow my local one this winter, Ill never do that again though.

At least 15 times over the course of winter, Ive warned management that there was scrap wood with nails sticking out of it floating around the parking lot, and loading dock area but they still havent gotten their sh!t together enough to clean the stuff up.

One baked out of his mind 20 something manager who Ill bet has never been on a tractor told me I should get tracks on my plow trucks:confused:. He told me this because I started leaving the sight unfinished if I ran into wood while plowing.

Just a few pics , I have many more.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Been going on strong for 6 months now that I know of and have pics of and nothings changed. I plowed this last storm 2 days ago and when I hit wood with nails in it I picked up plow mid push and left. Left a big mess too.

One of my trucks has a slow leak in tire but who ever knows where you pick up a nail at though.

There are several safety and codes issues at this location too and I have pics but i dont want to go down that road. Their management is going to get them in trouble at some point, probably already has. They are really nasty to me too..lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I always thought Mainers had thicker skins. Guess not.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pretty easy to at least go to their web site and leave a review. You could demonstrate the problem, print your disgust and hope corp. reads some of them. Evidence is powerful!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Include tire-repair and stand-by time in your invoice. I charge $100 hr for standby time for uncontracted/unplanned stand-by and have only had to do that one time. That client ever-afterwards provided me with clear details on how much delay a particular job might include, and I adjusted my estimates appropriately. We had good respectful relationship for each other going forward.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Pretty easy to at least go to their web site and leave a review. You could demonstrate the problem, print your disgust and hope corp. reads some of them. Evidence is powerful!
Corporate knows, has documentation and pictures. theyve had that since December.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Include tire-repair and stand-by time in your invoice. I charge $100 hr for standby time for uncontracted/unplanned stand-by and have only had to do that one time. That client ever-afterwards provided me with clear details on how much delay a particular job might include, and I adjusted my estimates appropriately. We had good respectful relationship for each other going forward.
Sounds good but would cost more in legal fees to begin to enforce.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
One winter I was having a heck of a time with flat tires. After about the 4th one in a span of a few weeks I asked the kid fixing the tire if there was something I could do to minimize having flats. His response "Don't run over nails", the way he said it was so funny that I laughed so hard I about peed my pants. From then on when I went in for something, it was where I bought my tires and accessories, we would look at each other and laugh.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
One winter I was having a heck of a time with flat tires. After about the 4th one in a span of a few weeks I asked the kid fixing the tire if there was something I could do to minimize having flats. His response "Don't run over nails", the way he said it was so funny that I laughed so hard I about peed my pants. From then on when I went in for something, it was where I bought my tires and accessories, we would look at each other and laugh.
The tractor store manager kid told me to put tracks on my trucks..lol, he was dead serious.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Why not renegotiate your contract & add cleanup of yard ? Looks like money to me.
You could have all your tires injected with that industrial tire foam and have that cost added to contract also. Only spending money gets stores like this to respond. My local TSupply is pretty clean I might add.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Why not renegotiate your contract & add cleanup of yard ? Looks like money to me.
You could have all your tires injected with that industrial tire foam and have that cost added to contract also. Only spending money gets stores like this to respond. My local TSupply is pretty clean I might add.
Doesnt really work that way. Here is how it works:

National Big Box store hires national big property management outfit in some state thats not mine to manage the property which is actually owned by someone other than National Big Box chain. Its owned by a national real estate investment group.

That Big property management company directly maintains the property for the big real estate group if they have a presence in that state OR subcontracts it to a large property management company in that state.

In my case Im a subcontractor a couple times removed from the property owner. I have a contract with the largest property managament company in Maine and thats the company that hires/contracts with and pays me. I plow x properties for x $ per hour per truck. Obstacles are supposed to be marked with caution cones. If there is a problem plowing like there has been, I take pics and let a person know. That person then continues it up the chain which I know my contact did because I was copied on the emails.

Since there are probably 10 layers of peoples between myself and the people that work there, I took it upon myself to communicate directly, well that didnt work because they are morons.lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Skin thickness has nothing to do with it. It's about working for morons that leave puncture hazards laying all over the lot.

Bought any truck tires lately?
No and I was just at Tractor Supply yesterday. No flats, no nails.

I have to say that I refer to TSC as Tough Shitte Charlies, where everything is scratched, dented or broken.

Bought my zero turn there years ago (been a good mower) but the first one, the idiot forklift driver was loading it on my GN and stuck the fork right through the saddle tank. Told me they'd order a new tank. I told them to get it off my GN and get another one.

People at our store play dodgem with the merchandise all the time.

Wife buys their grain free dog food and I get my bird seed there and things in bottle and cans but stuff out back in the shed, you'd better be careful about because you never know if they played dodgem with it...

I'd say working at TSC as a sales associate is most likely a minimum wage job so one has to expect a minimal amount of pride in the employees and their general housekeeping.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I dont think how much or how little a person gets paid should be an excuse for incompetence. I HAVE heard them try to make that excuse though.:rolleyes: This is where management comes into play. Management is supposed to be responsible for those workers too dumb to be responsible for themselves.

One thing Ive noticed though with this store and some others is that there are more "assistant managers" at a store than "associates" So its like everyone is driving the boat but nobody knows where they are going.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I dont think how much or how little a person gets paid should be an excuse for incompetence. I HAVE heard them try to make that excuse though.:rolleyes: This is where management comes into play. Management is supposed to be responsible for those workers too dumb to be responsible for themselves.

One thing Ive noticed though with this store and some others is that there are more "assistant managers" at a store than "associates" So its like everyone is driving the boat but nobody knows where they are going.
\

Must be a Mainer thing....

I have to ask, you near Bangor?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I briefly managed a TSC.

You are right. Stupid runs the stores.

Cheap chinese scratch & dent stuff that is grossly overpriced. The same stuff can be bought at harbor freight for 1/2 the price and much better customer service (never thought I'd EVER say that!). Employees are generally high turnover, low pay workers. Management pays "ok" (not great) and they want you to work your entire life. I usually got 70-85 hours a week for the short time I was there, BUT the store was well-stocked and well staffed by people who cared about their tasks. Problem is, after I left the new manager fired 3 of the 4 cashiers and hired some college ladies in there who had no idea at all about farm stuff, outdoor stuff, or anything but how to run an item across the scanner and take people's money. Notice I didn't say count change because they couldn't do that either. It was so ridiculous that it was funny. The last time I was in the local TSC I was buying a 330CF Argon cylinder. No problem right? THey even loaded it for me (thank goodness). I get home, fire up the tig and immediately couldn't lay a bead worth a flip. It had a weird smell to the gas while welding, kind of a sharp smell...dead giveaway that it was contaminated with CO2. Well I loaded it up, drove the 30 min back to the store, got a hold of the ignorant manager and told him I thought it might have been mislabeled. He wanted me to take to the local welders supply & have it tested. Yeah right. I "explained" to him that customer service is important and if they didn't want my business just say so and I'd be extremely happy to buy at the LWS. Well they swapped it out no charge, but while I had to wait for someone to go find another cylinder (which was another ordeal in itself), I decided to peel the argon label back to see if there was a 75/25 label under it...sure enough there was, so it was just labeled improperly. Guy bought the new argon cylinder out and I showed him what I found, dude didn't even know what argon is, nor did he know what co2 is, and I didn't bother explaining it. Told him to google it. The parking lot is kind of circular and I had to drive around, well at the other side I turned to look and sure enough the guy is pushing the cylinder (flat on the ground) with his foot and in his hands he's on the phone--I guess "googling" argon and co2.

Can't fix stupid. Well....you can but the solution is not politically (or morally) correct. Left unchecked, stupid will fix itself ;)

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
My local TSC is...okay. Reasonably clean, decent help, fairly stable staff.

About the only thing I buy there regularly is feed. Their prices are about in line with the local feed store the only advantage is convenience.

The feed store has been run by the same family since the 50's. They deal in cash and checks only, no debit/credit cards. I very rarely have more than $5 or $10 in my wallet any more. Just easier to swing by TSC when I happen to be in town.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bout the only thing I buy is welding rods at the local TSC. Maybe an occasional trailer fender if I can't wait for shipping. Usually stuff is mis labeled, or in the wrong bin period. I actually moved some stuff to the correct bin for them one day. Came in a couple days later to see if they actually stocked the empty bin with the correct product. Nope, someone moved the wrong crap back to the incorrect bin.

Thats when I gave up on them.

I've always been leary about running my truck or jeep through areas where there's heavy forklift and pallet traffic. Even at my work where we keep stuff picked up and cleaned up. Pallets fall apart on a regular basis. And it seems that everything being shipped now is on junky pallets. Even if you keep things picked up and clean, it's fairly easy to miss a nail. Even after running through the area with a magnet.