RTV 900 rebuild

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
Hello all, I have an 09 RTV 900 3400hrs that is new to me. It was well used but runs and everything works. The PO said the head had been done. The RTV does not overheat but the issue that I have is I am getting blowbye until it warms up. I have an friend that is a Kubota mechanic says its common that when they overheat the Rings burn up. He figures needs rings minimum. So I'm wondering how involved the rebuild is and whether it's worth doing both from a financial standpoint and time or it easier just to buy another engine? I can pick a new one up for $2200 w 700 hours.I do have a shop and I have rebuilt snowmobiles and smaller gas engines. I'm looking for opinions with people from experience rebuilding these d902's. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I rebuild them, not to bad in my opinion. ;)

Heck of a lot cheaper than $2200.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
I rebuild them, not to bad in my opinion. ;)

Heck of a lot cheaper than $2200.
I hear you there. I guess it depends on how much I have to replace. Either way I have to pull the engine so to take the head off and have a look really isn't that much more work. I'm guessing it really can't be to catastrophic at this point since it still starts and runs. The guy I talked to about buying the engine from was trying to tell me it would be at least 2 grand in part. But then again he's trying to sell me an engine!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I hear you there. I guess it depends on how much I have to replace. Either way I have to pull the engine so to take the head off and have a look really isn't that much more work. I'm guessing it really can't be to catastrophic at this point since it still starts and runs. The guy I talked to about buying the engine from was trying to tell me it would be at least 2 grand in part. But then again he's trying to sell me an engine!

I would pull the head and look for scoring in the cylinders ( look closely where the cylinders are siamesed) If there is none you can likely get by with a hone job and new rings but if there is scoring it'll mean boring and new pistons! If you need new pistons you will likely be getting close to the $2200 that you say you can get a new engine for. Does the new engine come with any warranty?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's not really a new engine if it has 700 hrs! So that changes the equation. You could pay the $2200 and still not be satisfied, requiring additional work. Best to fix what you have.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
I would pull the head and look for scoring in the cylinders ( look closely where the cylinders are siamesed) If there is none you can likely get by with a hone job and new rings but if there is scoring it'll mean boring and new pistons! If you need new pistons you will likely be getting close to the $2200 that you say you can get a new engine for. Does the new engine come with any warranty?
I am right with you in order of operations with troubleshooting this. Making decisions based on what I am seeing after pulling the head. Would you pull the whole engine to check the head? Or for time sake just leave it in and pull the head off? I forgot to ask the guy about the warranty. I would assume it's a tailight warranty. The guy works on them and rebuilds them as a part time gig. He's a heavy diesel mechanic full time.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
It's not really a new engine if it has 700 hrs! So that changes the equation. You could pay the $2200 and still not be satisfied, requiring additional work. Best to fix what you have.
Agreed! Could compound my problem and create a bigger headache. Its tempting tho. It will depend on what I see when that head come off.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I am right with you in order of operations with troubleshooting this. Making decisions based on what I am seeing after pulling the head. Would you pull the whole engine to check the head? Or for time sake just leave it in and pull the head off? I forgot to ask the guy about the warranty. I would assume it's a tailight warranty. The guy works on them and rebuilds them as a part time gig. He's a heavy diesel mechanic full time.

You can rering it right in there. Pulling the engine is no small job on an RTV! ( you have to pull the transaxle and engine as a unit.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just did a D850 with all new kubota parts for under $800, so I think he should be able to do that D902 for about the same, but then again I do do all my own work, and if you need to have it bored it will be more.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I just did a D850 with all new kubota parts for under $800, so I think he should be able to do that D902 for about the same, but then again I do do all my own work, and if you need to have it bored it will be more.
Sure, maybe even less if he can get away with rings and a light hone. But new pistons will be $600 or more and $100 a hole for boring plus having to totally disassemble and reassemble the engine will sure wreck $1500 all told plus labor! But the 700 hour engine may be little better than what he has now so...
. A gambler or not! LOL

Last edited:

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
Sure, maybe even less if he can get away with rings and a light hone. But new pistons will be $600 or more and $100 a hole for boring plus having to totally disassemble and reassemble the engine will sure wreck $1500 all told plus labor! But the 700 hour engine may be little better than what he has now so...
. A gambler or not! LOL
Time will tell here. I will keep you guys posted as to what I find.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
Just pulled the head off. There's a little bit of scoring in the center cylinder the one on the fan side the top of the Piston is pretty black. Where do I go from here?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Just pulled the head off. There's a little bit of scoring in the center cylinder the one on the fan side the top of the Piston is pretty black. Where do I go from here?

If it were mine I would measure the piston protrusion and make sure they are all the same, then pull the pistons and run a ball hone up and down the cylinders a few times. (make sure to put the crankpin to the bottom and cover it on the cylinder you are honing). Then wash her out good and reassemble with new rings and rod bearings. All the pistons should be black. if they are clean it usually indicates that that cylinder is getting coolant from somewhere! ( gasket or cracked head)

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
If it were mine I would measure the piston protrusion and make sure they are all the same, then pull the pistons and run a ball hone up and down the cylinders a few times. (make sure to put the crankpin to the bottom and cover it on the cylinder you are honing). Then wash her out good and reassemble with new rings and rod bearings. All the pistons should be black. if they are clean it usually indicates that that cylinder is getting coolant from somewhere! ( gasket or cracked head)
That makes sense do I have to pull the motor to do this? Or is it advised? Or can I just leave it in there and take the Pistons off through the oil pan?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
That makes sense do I have to pull the motor to do this? Or is it advised? Or can I just leave it in there and take the Pistons off through the oil pan?

You can do it in there. you might have to cut a small strap out underneath that is holding the cover on under the oil pan. I cut them so the bolt holes are still there to reattach the cover. It is a lot of work to remove that engine unless there is some other reason to do it.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
You can do it in there. you might have to cut a small strap out underneath that is holding the cover on under the oil pan. I cut them so the bolt holes are still there to reattach the cover. It is a lot of work to remove that engine unless there is some other reason to do it.
Would you happen to know where I can find part numbers for this engine? I looked in the shop manual and they're not in there. There's a diesel place around here that can get me the parts I just don't have the Kubota part numbers. The likely be a little bit cheaper to.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Would you happen to know where I can find part numbers for this engine? I looked in the shop manual and they're not in there. There's a diesel place around here that can get me the parts I just don't have the Kubota part numbers. The likely be a little bit cheaper to.

I don't have a parts book that is specific to the rtv900, maybe someone else here does?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
McGoo - try here:

https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Agree to the terms, put in RTV900, and you'll find a bunch of versions/variations of the RTV900. "Open" the parts diagrams next to the right model.

Probably first challenge will be to get right model/version, but the Engine section has Kubota PN's.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Put that head back on it with a new gasket and run it. You'll know within the next 25 hours if that was correct and you'll have suffered very little, if any lost time.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
I don't have a parts book that is specific to the rtv900, maybe someone else here does?
I ended up getting them from the dealer. How do I know what size my rod bearings are besides measuring them? There are 2 choices -20 mm -40mm