Filled Tires

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I filled my rear tires with windshield washer fluid. The manual says to pressure tires to 20 lbs. I am having difficulty checking air pressure, I rotate tire to place valve stem on top check, and water comes out and no air pressure. What is the proper way to check to make sure I have 20 lbs. pressure.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I think the first question is how much did you fill your tires? Hopefully not to the top as that is too much.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I filled my rear tires with windshield washer fluid. The manual says to pressure tires to 20 lbs. I am having difficulty checking air pressure, I rotate tire to place valve stem on top check, and water comes out and no air pressure. What is the proper way to check to make sure I have 20 lbs. pressure.
Fill rate is 70-75%.......which should be to the TOP of the rim;)

So.....where is what to do.....
MAKE sure you jack tire off ground, just a little bit will do - spin tire to about 10 or 2 o'clock - remove valve stem.....fluid will rush out but if the tire is NOT suspended - more than you want will rush out!;)

Once tire is out of air (fluid)= replace stem and place air back in.

Do it for other side too - always check air pressure near the 12 o'clock position in the future.:)

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
I filled tires with the valve stem at the 12 clock position. Let all liquid back out that was overfilled. Filled with air, the air pressure causes water to flow out of the valve stem even though it did not flow out when there was no air pressure. So you are saying I need to let out more fluid by moving it to the 2:00 clock position and that will eliminate the problem. I was hoping to keep as much fluid as possible.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The percentage of fluid in the tire being less than 100% allows air to be used to create some flexibility in the tire, which provides a much softer ride. Probably about 16-18# is all you need.

If you have the tire jacked up off the ground, as mentioned, the only pressure is the air you put in. The weight of the fluid should be down to the top of the wheel, and not have access to the valve stem. Put the stem at the 12:00 position. You may need to let a spritz of air out that may have some liquid in it that's been at the stem. Once that spritz is clear, you should only have air escaping.

66vette

Mar 14, 2014
Greenville, Ohio
The percentage of fluid in the tire being less than 100% allows air to be used to create some flexibility in the tire, which provides a much softer ride. Probably about 16-18# is all you need.

If you have the tire jacked up off the ground, as mentioned, the only pressure is the air you put in. The weight of the fluid should be down to the top of the wheel, and not have access to the valve stem. Put the stem at the 12:00 position. You may need to let a spritz of air out that may have some liquid in it that's been at the stem. Once that spritz is clear, you should only have air escaping.
Thanks I will do that as soon as it quits raining.