Be careful

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I can't believe the difference the front loader makes to a tractor. I've been driving tractors since I was a kid but this L3450 is the first I've driven with a loader. The difference between having the loader low or off completely on hilly ground is astounding. For the sake of the 10 minutes it takes to remove it, I always opt to take it off. It takes no longer to mount or un-mount than any other implement. The bottom line, in my opinion, is that these machines are designed to do most of their work at the back and are balanced accordingly. And always have ballast with a loader on.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
What most people seem to forget or just don't think about is this,,, the front tires are NOT the outside support for the front end. The center of the axle is. The front pivots in the center and the front wheels do not provide any outside resistance until the frame contacts the axle,,, right before the roll over.

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
This may be a stupid question but in some circumstances does having a loader help you not to roll over? If you dont have a loader on the tractor and it starts to roll there is nothing you can do about it, you hang in there and hope for the best. On the other hand if you have a loader you can drop it and stabilize the front end and save your ass. But you can argue that without the loader the tractor would not have rolled in the first place.... The few times I drove a tractor without a loader I felt naked and helpless. I feel safer with a loader knowing I can save my butt in an emergency.

dlshearon

Sep 26, 2018
Middle TN
I never understood why people drive tractors with FEL up, take the darn bucket off if you can’t see.

Mister , I’m with ya. I got a 5200 and I’m on some hilly Tennessee country and it has never felt sketchy.

Ya’ll be safe out there and slow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
I had a bx2370 with fel. Like you, i felt like the bx was very stable with the loader off. I currently own a b2650 with fel and feel its every bit as stable as the bx was. I have zero concerns with a roll over when the fel is off the machine.(Not saying it cant happen). I however cant say how a backhoe would make it feel.
Had a B2650 with a cab and found it to be somewhat top heavy, mores than a BX. That said no small tractor is going to be real stable with the loader elevated . Being cautious and keeping the weight as low as possible is always safer. Was going to put spacers on my BX 2680 but Kubota does not sell them so I chose not to so as not to give grounds for voiding the warranty.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
With all the ding dong's out there I'm amazed any business even rents these out.
That's always amazed me too. The local hardware store here rents out lots of mini-excavators, skidsteers, lifts, a small backhoe. I always wonder what sort of issues they find on those machines when they're returned.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
That's always amazed me too. The local hardware store here rents out lots of mini-excavators, skidsteers, lifts, a small backhoe. I always wonder what sort of issues they find on those machines when they're returned.
I've always taken that as proof these machines are quite durable and resistant to abuse. I'm sure rental tractors are treated like they are stolen and generally used for jobs larger than their intended purpose quite a bit.

This is the kind of scene I always imagine with rented tractors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1AVsxclPY

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Before I bought my old Kubota I rented a new BX something with backhoe from Home Depot. My yard is ... rocky. It is an alluvial gravel fan with cobbles from first size to Volkswagen size. Took me 18 hours to dig 500 feet of 30" trench. I didn't break the Kubota, amazingly, but I wouldn't buy it when the rental company sells it. I bought the accidental damage protection plan for it, just in case.

Funniest part, it comes on a trailer, so they just gave me keys for the tractor and trailer lock, and dragged it home, then found out the battery was dead. I called them and they gave me the half day rate.

RabidWrench

Mar 21, 2019
Marietta
That's always amazed me too. The local hardware store here rents out lots of mini-excavators, skidsteers, lifts, a small backhoe. I always wonder what sort of issues they find on those machines when they're returned.[/

I maintained rental units for almost three years. Some guys really took care of them. But there were others who did all kinds of crazy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I've always taken that as proof these machines are quite durable and resistant to abuse. I'm sure rental tractors are treated like they are stolen and generally used for jobs larger than their intended purpose quite a bit.

This is the kind of scene I always imagine with rented tractors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1AVsxclPY
Hahaha that is awesome. Those guys don't deserve to be on a tractor.