CO2 in cab..

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Possibly fumes from Oils, Grease & New Paint burning off, being a new tractor.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Your new tractor & cab may not have sat on the dealer lot for very long and actually be newer than most. Might explain the high levels of out gassing if that is the problem.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Ya know, I have resisted posting this as long as I could. BUT, with a thread tilted CO2 in Cab and a user name of Old Fart, my mind went to one thing. That is I thought you were talking about CO2 levels building up because of too many old farts hanging around in the air. LOL. Sorry OP, just couldn’t resist. I am glad the problem is clearing up for you.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
We're talking a diesel engine here, not gas. Carbon monoxide emissions with diesels are almost non-existent, so you don't have that silent menace that you do with a gas engine. Now, that doesn't mean that they don't smell or make your eyes water, but a carbon monoxide detector in the cab of a diesel tractor just won't accomplish anything.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We're talking a diesel engine here, not gas. Carbon monoxide emissions with diesels are almost non-existent, so you don't have that silent menace that you do with a gas engine. Now, that doesn't mean that they don't smell or make your eyes water, but a carbon monoxide detector in the cab of a diesel tractor just won't accomplish anything.
I don't believe that is generally correct. In some of the new tier 4 emissions controlled vehicles and tractors, particularly those using a catalytic converter, (DOC), CO may be reduced substantially. I'll try to track down some figures. In the meantime avoid running your tractor in an enclosed space!

Added note: Didn't realize this was a hot topic, but amounts cited range from 2 to 12 % from the lawyers discussing cases where truckers have been poisoned to Wikipedia with numbers like .09% by volume. Bottom line there is little doubt that there is less CO in the exhaust than from a gasoline engine, but it is not 0, and to be safe be careful in enclosed spaces.

https://www.dieselinjurylaw.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Curtis cab for you. I've not been impressed with anything from Curtis, however they're the only game in town for certain things.

A factory installed cab is 1000x better, but not available on all models unfortunately.

And curtis's customer service? Wait, what customer service? Or at least the last time I used them that's the way it was.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't believe that is generally correct. In some of the new tier 4 emissions controlled vehicles and tractors, particularly those using a catalytic converter, (DOC), CO may be reduced substantially. I'll try to track down some figures. In the meantime avoid running your tractor in an enclosed space!

Added note: Didn't realize this was a hot topic, but amounts cited range from 2 to 12 % from the lawyers discussing cases where truckers have been poisoned to Wikipedia with numbers like .09% by volume. Bottom line there is little doubt that there is less CO in the exhaust than from a gasoline engine, but it is not 0, and to be safe be careful in enclosed spaces.

https://www.dieselinjurylaw.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust
Must be what happened to me, 30 years of trucking. Amy says I'm brain dead, must be true.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Curtis cab for you. I've not been impressed with anything from Curtis, however they're the only game in town for certain things.

A factory installed cab is 1000x better, but not available on all models unfortunately.

And curtis's customer service? Wait, what customer service? Or at least the last time I used them that's the way it was.

No doubt. I couldn't even get them to call or email me back when I was looking to put a cab on my previous L3410.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I don't believe that is generally correct.
Maybe, maybe not...I'm no scientist. I have, however, driven diesel powered vehicles for over 46 years. Back in the 80's I drove for a municipal bus company which had a brand new bus garage built at tremendous taxpayer expense. One of the features was a high-tech carbon monoxide detector. When it sensed a dangerous level of CO fumes, roof vents would open to ventilate the building. Well, some of the buses were old, and when they were started up they could be pretty smoky. The fumes would get so bad in there that you could cut the air with a knife, but the sensors wouldn't open the vent. However, if you held a smoking cigarette up to one of the sensors, the vents would snap open. That's my scientific analysis of carbon monoxide content in diesel exhaust. :)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
We have hand-held CO detectors in every fire truck. It is not uncommon to hear one go off while backing into the hall if the exhaust capture system comes loose and the cab windows are open.