Anyone using a timer for the block heater

Elkers

Equipment
Bx2370, MMM, 50' blower, ballast box, piranha tooth bar
Sep 10, 2014
Elk Rapids Mi
Hi Everyone,
I am a new BX2370 owner and this is my first tractor, I remember as a young man my dad had a Kubota and when we visited him I always had plenty of respect for its capabilities. So when it came time for my first tractor there wsn't a question as I had made this decision 20 years ago. But my question is does anyone use a timer for the block heater, I will be snow blowing this winter starting at about 6am. And will it do any harm if it is plugged in all the time? Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Leaving the heater on all the time is just a big waste of $ with no benefit. After about 2 to 3 hours the engine/heater system reaches a balance where the heat loss from the warm engine is equal to the heat output by the block heater. You could also shorten the life of the heater having it on for long periods.
Read your owners manual carefully about warm up time versus outside temperature. This is critical to allow the hydraulic systems to gradually reach operating temp. Ignore this at your peril. Just getting the engine started is step one.
Dave M7040

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Make sure you use a good quality heavy duty timer that is rated for a heavy load like appliances. Don't use a cheap one like one for lamps. Block heaters draw quite a lot. I have used them a lot in the past when I farmed to turn on the block heaters 2-3 hours before needing the tractor. Saves a lot of electricity versus leaving it plugged in all the time.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I also use a timer for my pickup, but don't have a heater on my tractor. Going into the Xmas season is a great opportunity to pick up a heavy duty outdoor timer meant for lights. Mine is good for at least 15 amps and was not expensive.

Elkers

Equipment
Bx2370, MMM, 50' blower, ballast box, piranha tooth bar
Sep 10, 2014
Elk Rapids Mi
Thanks, I will find a good heavy duty timer for my new best friend.

BX23D

Equipment
BX23TLB, box scraper, 3pth 5' LP rake, JRW 53" 3pth snowblower, MMM
Mar 28, 2014
Belleville, ON Canada
I don't use my BX23 at the same time daily. Therefore a timer doesn't cut it. I use a remote controlled outdoor rated outlet with a dedicated switch in the house to turn it on and off. One hour two at the most in real cold weather and Baby is ready to play in the snow. My switch sends it's signal through the house 120v wires. From switch to outlet is about 100' feet of wire. The block heater is under my control when I need it.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I plan to get a wifi outlet. I can turn it on when i leave work if it is snowy. Like $70, i think. Though, i need to add wifi to the garage for it.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The remote outlets available many places will not work when it gets very cold. Read the temp limitations if you think one of these could be your solution.
http://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-O...ds=remote+control+outlet+with+wireless+remote

Here is response from a manufacturer:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. Regarding your question, yes extreme temperature can affect the unit’s ability to operate. The temperature range is about -20C to +40C.

Thank You,

Best Regards
Huntley Richards.Jr
Customer Service
905-456-8883 x 10

www.skylinkhome.com
www.otodor.com

I ran low voltage two conductor wire from my home to tractor shed and control a proper electrical relay to turn on the block heater. I have a path over the ground that does not get crossed by snow removal. I lay the wire out in the fall and wind it up in the spring. Some day I will bury it.
Dave M7040

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I use a timer to heat a 730 Case. It's a 1965 model and I use it to feed hay. In winter months I can schedule feeding within a couple hour range.

I installed a timer that is designed for a hot water heater. Wired from panel to timer to receptacle. I plug in the heater and battery charger there and have it set for a 2 hour range at the time chosen. Works nice and it's simple and saves time and frustration.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I bought a thermostatically controlled outlet receptacle for my L3200 block heater. It goes on at 20deg F, and shuts off again at 30deg F. This works well for me. Thermo-switches are available on ebay for about $25.

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
If you have a smart phone, you could use a $39 WIFI wemo switch by Belkin to control your block heater on demand. I used this last winter for my BX, worked great. You can program in the custom on and off times for that early morning cleanup but the coolest thing is you can just turn in on or off using your phone at any time. The only quirk is you need WIFI coverage to your garage.
Cheers
Rob

Attachments