Greens Machine Grapple Thumb

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Im about to pull the trigger on a Greens Machine 36" thumb to mount to my pallet forks for picking up boulders and cleaning up tree debris.

These guys make the product in house in USA and I like that. Anyone have experience with Greens Machine or their grapple thumbs?

http://www.greens-machine.com/id47.html

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
motion - no experience, but sure looks handy, especially with forks.

I have a couple big stones my BX can move/jar, but can't lock onto to pop out. I've given them "the finger" many times....:eek:

You could give them "the thumb"!:cool:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
motion - no experience, but sure looks handy, especially with forks.

I have a couple big stones my BX can move/jar, but can't lock onto to pop out. I've given them "the finger" many times....:eek:

You could give them "the thumb"!:cool:
I got rocks all over my properties and im building a wall along the front of one of them. (camp property northern Maine) I used just forks and by backhoe last year and it worked but did have to move slow and i lost some occasionally from hitting bumps. Im talking 300-800lb rocks. I found the forks work great because I can dive them in under the rock and pry it out of the ground.

Want to be able to safely pick up a tree and leave it at waist level so i can cut it up without bending over. Bending over causes me lots of pain.

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Has anyone used one of these grapples with Pallet Forks? Is the guard on the forks going to properly support one of these thumbs?

It sounds like you arent interested in a thumb on your bucket because you cant get under rocks.

Why not just get a rock grapple? You can find them for around $1k if you look around.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Has anyone used one of these grapples with Pallet Forks? Is the guard on the forks going to properly support one of these thumbs?

It sounds like you arent interested in a thumb on your bucket because you cant get under rocks.

Why not just get a rock grapple? You can find them for around $1k if you look around.
I started a thread about this here: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/408114-thumb.html
I am going to modify/reinforce the top guard on my forks to accept the grapple mount.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine

I like how I can get under stuff with the forks plus I can see whats going on because i can see through the forks as opposed to a bucket.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I like how I can get under stuff with the forks plus I can see whats going on because i can see through the forks as opposed to a bucket.
With a rock grapple you can get under rocks or pluck them. Also visibility is much better than a bucket. Anyway best of luck....it sounds like an interesting contraption!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
With a rock grapple you can get under rocks or pluck them. Also visibility is much better than a bucket. Anyway best of luck....it sounds like an interesting contraption!
If I was cleaning up debris only then I think that bucket settup would be better but im also placing rocks either in the back of a truck/trailer or on a wall. I can adjust my forks to 16" wide so I have a narrow footprint if I want.

The 36" grapple is $550 shipped and those rock grapples are like $1500

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can adjust my forks to 16" wide so I have a narrow footprint if I want.
Yeah - my thought was a narrow gap would be slick w/ the thumb between...improvised grapple as it were...

If you do get it, post some pics...

It's those kind of jobs where I wish my BX were a size or two bigger...

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I got a Greens Machine 36" grapple thumb on the way and I just completed install of my diverter valve (what greens suggested for budget)

Well electrics not hooked up yet but working on that today.

I tapped into my curl circuit.
Hoses on right are from valve body, got the right fittings so I didnt have to alter the hoses.
Hoses on left are new and connect to the metal pipes on the boom arm
Hoses coming out middle are new and run to the front with quick connects to hook into thumb.

I got SAE8 to JIC8 fittings for diverter to match what was already on the tractor.

The diverter valve is mounted to a plate that I welded to the loader upright.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

I got one and made mounts for my bucket and my forks. 4 bolts and two quick-connects and I can swap it between them.

I also made an adapter plate so when I'm not using the thumb, I have a set of chain/strap hooks for the bucket.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
I put one on my L4240 HD bucket along with a tooth-bar.Great addition;doesn't open quite as far as a regular grapple but works well.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Yeah - my thought was a narrow gap would be slick w/ the thumb between...improvised grapple as it were...

If you do get it, post some pics...

It's those kind of jobs where I wish my BX were a size or two bigger...
I have been using mine the past few days; retrieving the large stones that I accidentally knocked off the wall while snow plowing this past winter.
With the forks narrowed, picking up and holding pretty much any shape rock is a breeze; as is placement back on the wall.
It is fast becoming a favorite implement; and the price is right:D

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I have been using mine the past few days; retrieving the large stones that I accidentally knocked off the wall while snow plowing this past winter.
With the forks narrowed, picking up and holding pretty much any shape rock is a breeze; as is placement back on the wall.
It is fast becoming a favorite implement; and the price is right:D
Post up a pic!!. Just got mine in the mail yesterday but i have to wait for some hoses and fittings to come in.