Question re float position on B7800

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

This is my first post after joining today. I bought a 06' B7800 cab tractor this month because I was tired of blowing snow on my open station Ferguson TEA-20. I will be keeping the Fergie to work around and under trees and such like.

I have a 6' V-Type snowblower that will go on the 3 PTH and it will do most of the work. The 7800 does have a 60" B2763 front blade that I will use mostly for back dragging snow. If you want to see the V-Type in action you can go to my youtube channel greathodgy22.

My question is, the B7800 OEM hydraulics are not equipped with a float position controlling the blade. Has anyone found a way to retrofit a float valve to the
up and down side of the valve ?

Hodgy

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

This is my first post after joining today. I bought a 06' B7800 cab tractor this month because I was tired of blowing snow on my open station Ferguson TEA-20. I will be keeping the Fergie to work around and under trees and such like.

I have a 6' V-Type snowblower that will go on the 3 PTH and it will do most of the work. The 7800 does have a 60" B2763 front blade that I will use mostly for back dragging snow. If you want to see the V-Type in action you can go to my youtube channel greathodgy22.

My question is, the B7800 OEM hydraulics are not equipped with a float position controlling the blade. Has anyone found a way to retrofit a float valve to the
up and down side of the valve ?

Hodgy

I cannot find much info on your front blade on Messicks site.

Do you have power angling as well as raise and lower?

Can you put down pressure on the blade which lifts the front of the tractor?

Some photos would help but being new you cannot put them up.

If you send me a Private Message with your email, then we can arrange for you to email me a couple of photos.

Dave

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
I cannot find much info on your front blade on Messicks site.

Do you have power angling as well as raise and lower?

Can you put down pressure on the blade which lifts the front of the tractor?

Some photos would help but being new you cannot put them up.

If you send me a Private Message with your email, then we can arrange for you to email me a couple of photos.

Dave

Thanks for the quick answer Dave.

I have angling as well as raise and lower and down pressure will lift the front of the tractor. The "float" is a detent position on the newer Kubota control valves where you can put the up and down in a "neutral" position so there is neither up or down pressure.

Any modification would have to be done at that valve, either a complete valve change out or some other modification that I as yet have not seen or thought of. Here are some photos.

Blade showing both hydraulic cylinders.

Hydraulic control inside the cab.

The two hydraulic valves mounted outside the cab.

Model number of the valves.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just my gut talking here, but my bet is that valve does have float.

That spool on the right looks like it could have float detent.

Again, just my gut.

Last edited:

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
On my B7800 the float position is all the way forward on the up/down lever.
It should lock in place, and you should be able to let go of the lever and it'll stay in that position.
My loader is a LA402.

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
On my B7800 the float position is all the way forward on the up/down lever.
It should lock in place, and you should be able to let go of the lever and it'll stay in that position.
My loader is a LA402.

Just tried mine, all the way forward on the up/down lever is full downward pressure on the blade and the front wheels are off the ground by 6".

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

My operators manual is basic and has no reference to the hydraulic spools. I took a look at a Husco site and got lead down a Alice in Wonderland Rabbit hole !

Here are close-up photos of the spools.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Is it possible that you are trying the wrong spool out of the two? You are using the angling valve to raise and lower the blade? So you are trying to find a float position on the wrong lever

HUSCO won't help. They say their policy is that it is a valve that Kubota is responsible for ....

Dave

Last edited:

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
Is it possible that you are trying the wrong spool out of the two? You are using the angling valve to raise and lower the blade? So you are trying to find a float position on the wrong lever

HUSCO won't help. They say their policy is that it is a valve that Kubota is responsible for ....

Dave

Hoses set-up, move to left = blade angles to left, move to right = blade angles to right. Pull down = blade lifts, push up = blade goes down. Think it is working as intended.

There is probably not a float position on either of these valves. That is why I asked if anyone has a work around or retrofit.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I believe your tractor could come with a loader LA402 and that is the same valve you have for your blade.

There are 5 variations of FEL valves for an LA402 from what I see on Messicks.

The first 3, B00101, 00102, & B00103 do not show a detent in their parts list.

The next two starting with B00501 have a float detent kit.

From the Husco info, perhaps Messicks can at least tell you which of the 5 valves you have and if it is one of the first 3 then no you do not have a float detent.

As an alternative way of accomplishing what you want, why not do as the plows mounted on pickup trucks do. Use a short chain to connect the cylinder to the blade or make a slot where the cylinder attaches to the blade so the cylinder can retract a bit without pulling on the blade.

A new valve from Messicks is $1,000 and that does not include the joystick you would likely have to change

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dave eng -

you are so good at research, and my hat is off to you for that. Your detail is to be commended.

My gut is still telling me that valve has float. I did a very quick look... So don't take it as gospel.

I would not recommend it for someone else's machine, but if it were mine, I'd jam that joystick lever forward....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave eng -

you are so good at research, and my hat is off to you for that. Your detail is to be commended.

My gut is still telling me that valve has float. I did a very quick look... So don't take it as gospel.

I would not recommend it for someone else's machine, but if it were mine, I'd jam that joystick lever forward....

Thank you for your compliments. What aids me is a life where I am old, have time and like the challenge.

For me, it will be interesting to see how Messicks identifies the valve, if they can, using Husco's information. 2 out the 5 possible valves have the float detent but those use different style of joystick than the owner's photo shows.

Dave

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
Dave eng -

I did jamb the joystick forward, hit dead end, nothing happened.

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
I believe your tractor could come with a loader LA402 and that is the same valve you have for your blade.

There are 5 variations of FEL valves for an LA402 from what I see on Messicks.

The first 3, B00101, 00102, & B00103 do not show a detent in their parts list.

The next two starting with B00501 have a float detent kit.

From the Husco info, perhaps Messicks can at least tell you which of the 5 valves you have and if it is one of the first 3 then no you do not have a float detent.

As an alternative way of accomplishing what you want, why not do as the plows mounted on pickup trucks do. Use a short chain to connect the cylinder to the blade or make a slot where the cylinder attaches to the blade so the cylinder can retract a bit without pulling on the blade.

A new valve from Messicks is $1,000 and that does not include the joystick you would likely have to change

Dave

Thanks Dave lots of research there, you are a member over at Zillers, right ?

I will contact Messicks and see if they can narrow down what valve I have.

I like the idea of a slotted attachment at the blade. There are two mounting holes there right now and if I cut between them it will give me a 2" slot which will allow for a bit of float. I will still be able to down pressure the blade.

There is a safety chain already on the blade, can't see where it would attach.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hodgy -

I certainly wish you the best figuring this out. Dave really is great at these kinds of mysteries.

While I am now thinking you may not have float, one thing to note is that the end caps of the spool can be subject to moisture and corrosion problems that render a float function on them inoperable, if they do have the capability.

Point being is there is the (unlikely?) possibility it has float, but needs a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
Both valves have the same end caps and are the same length. In looking around it looks like the valves that have the float function are longer than standard.

I have been down so many turkey trails in the past two days I am starting to gobble !

We had a bit of snow yesterday, winter does just not want to leave.

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

You would think that you would really need a float position if you had a snowblower mounted on the front.

I don't get it Kubota !

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

OK everybody, as you were.

I started thinking about my snowblower comment and went out to the Bota' and did some fooling around.

RCW was right, I had to jamb that joystick hard, hard forward and yes Virginia there is indeed a float position on that valve.

Thanks to all of the members here who helped me in-spite of myself. Love forums like this with all of the knowledge acquired over the years.

Hodgy

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Good for you!!

Great news!

I would exercise that function some. If it does get wonky or leak, there’s many threads here that demonstrate rebuilding a spool. Involves o-ring replacement unless something is really awry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: