gr2020

wra

Equipment
bx25d
Jul 10, 2014
asheville
I have had a gr2020 for 6 years. this spring as I engage the pto to cut grass a loud noise erupts from under tractor and no blade engagement.. Dealer says the pto in transmission that goes to the deck gearbox blew apart and damaged the HST as well.. Has anyone else had a similar problem I am told I would have to buy the entire HST rear end at at $3,100.00 plus labor.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Dealer might be correct. I would like to have a look at it myself but I'm sure that's a fat chance due to the distance/time thing.

Yes that's entirely possible. It "IS" possible to rebuild those things....BUT (and this is a VERY sore subject with me!) even though most parts are available for rebuild, the cost of those parts + labor puts it really close to the cost of replacing the unit assembly and then they're going to use the "old style" replacement parts, which will fail again....

Also...there was a running change made to the transmissions on those things, so depending on the serial number of the tractor, it's possible that they want you to replace the old with the new....and if that's the case, rebuilding the original is a waste of time because the failure you have now is likely to happen again.

The "new" transmissions have some modifications to them that make the PTO clutch last longer. How long? Dunno. Of the several that I have had to deal with, all of them....the owners sold the mower immediately after fixing them and I don't blame them.

I just went through this and still have the old transmission. I'm required to keep it for a while but once that time's up, I guarantee it will go home with me and I WILL burn it. Yes I will BURN the $#$*)& thing!

It's such a shame. It's an awesome mower, excellent cut quality, runs smooth, 4x4 is just icing on the cake....but the poorest design of a transmission I've ever come across. The original (2100) was the worst, then they made several running changes and the "new" ones are better. But I still do not trust them.