B4200 Dynamo

FlimFlam

Equipment
B4200
Nov 7, 2018
Leesburg, VA
Hello, just joined the forum.

I have a mid-90s B4200 with about 500 hrs that I bought about a year ago.

I had to replace the Dynamo recently and I have a tip on doing it.

First, get an adjustable crescent/box wrench. The kind where the working end pivots. I think it's 10mm.

There is one bolt up under the part that is nearly impossible to get to.

After several hours of frustration this got it done.

A butter knife.

A little duct tape on the end (or something else that's a little sticky).

Gently press the nut on the end of the knife so it is just barely stuck to the tape.

Get someone with small hands. I used my 13 yr old daugher.

Use the knife to position the nut over the bolt.

Use your small handed helper to reach into the small space and get the nut started on the bolt.

Once that is done, you can tighten it with the adjustable wrench.

For me, it was literally impossible to start the nut just using the wrench. It removed it easily enough, but my fingers could not reach in there to get it started.

Once I tried this approach, there were a few misthreadings and drops, but it only took about 20 minutes to get the nut to bite.

If anyone has any repair tips or tricks for the B4200, please send them my way.

Thanks

Last edited:

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I just replace the Dynamo on my 7100. OH Golly, what a pain.
THe center bottom nut is impossible, but the way I got it off was to use an old Crafstman ignition wrench, heated and bent it about 1" back from the end. Making it pretty easy to get off
NOW getting it back on was a whole other ordeal. I used a flat skinny screwdriver, put ductseal around the tip to hold it in place then with long narrow needle noise pliers got it started. Took about 45min for this one nut, once it started I again used the bent wrench to finish it!
But thanks to North Idaho Wolfman I'd probably still be camped out trying to do this job!
Hope this helps
Rate this job .....:mad:

hayday

Dec 5, 2019
Dayton
How did you get to the nut after bending the wrench? From the front? I can't swing it from the side. Does Kubota make a special tool for this?

CH