Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tires & Wheels

Tires & Wheels Discuss everything related to ag, turf or industrial tires, wheels, rims, ballast and chains right here.

Old 3 Days Ago   #21
BigG

Equipment: l2501
Default Re: cracked rim - no replacement available

I can not believe the smart axx remarks made about this welding job. The video shows what could happen if the job is not done correctly and you sound off as if it can not happen.

You are being just like the fool who will not chain down the load on his truck because he is only going a few miles down the road.

Safety is something that needs to be done on every part of every job. Taking a short cut, such as not dismounting the tire, is a lot easier but when the tire does blow up you will wish you had removed it.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 3 Days Ago   #22
motionclone
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L345DT, Great Bend FEL, 3pt BH, LP 72" Mower, Woods 60" Brush hog, Forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I can not believe the smart axx remarks made about this welding job. The video shows what could happen if the job is not done correctly and you sound off as if it can not happen.

You are being just like the fool who will not chain down the load on his truck because he is only going a few miles down the road.

Safety is something that needs to be done on every part of every job. Taking a short cut, such as not dismounting the tire, is a lot easier but when the tire does blow up you will wish you had removed it.
I think that sidecar guy should weld a rim and livestream it to show us dummies how its done.
motionclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #23
Dave_eng
Journeyman

Equipment: M7040, Nuffield 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by L35 View Post
Can you just pull the valve stem to prevent buildup?
Don't forget your tire is destroying itself to uselessness, so even if the valve stem could vent the gases produced, the tire is done anyway.

Dave
Dave_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #24
JeffL
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7200E, B4200DT

Did a little research and at first found lots of info about pyrolysis process for the conversion of biomass and waste into fuels and char. All of the processes required almost no oxygen with high pressures and temps, 430C=806F, for conversion. I was ready to call BS to the tire blow-up theory as oxygen is present and conditions were only reached at the end when it blew up. Then I found info on house fires due to pyrolysis. I then realized pyrolysis is the process occurring between the carbon based fuel and the flame. It is the conversion process and oxygen is not present at the point of conversion. The gasses and oils given off can flash when it reaches oxygen. It is the process occurring when a combustable too close to the fire box suddenly flashes over. Pyrolysis needs heat to start but once going it is creating heat that can become self sustaining and even runaway in some conditions. High temps and pressures are for efficiency in commercial conversion and not required to start pyrolysis.
My thoughts: if you weld on the outer rim with the tire bead on the other side, you have a good chance of starting this process.
I suspect pyrolysis is the process used to make charcoal.
IF I have this all wrong please comment. Jeff
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #25
Dave_eng
Journeyman

Equipment: M7040, Nuffield 465

From Wikipedia:

Pyrolysis is most commonly used in the treatment of organic materials. It is one of the processes involved in charring wood.

In many settings, some amounts of oxygen, water, or other substances may be present, so that combustion, hydrolysis, or other chemical processes may occur besides pyrolysis proper. Sometimes those chemical are added intentionally, as in the burning of firewood, in the traditional manufacture of charcoal

You were correct re charcoal, not a perfect pyrolysis process but close enough....

Dave
Dave_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #26
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

I honestly had no idea this stuff could happen. I learned something new, as I often do here on many topics.

One of the many reasons OTT is such a great Forum.

Whether or not a stitch of the hub could make it happen matters not to me...

I hang around a tire/ auto repair shop some Saturday mornings when I'm avoiding home chores. Never heard it there.

This old redneck idiot has/can/could/will do stupid stuff occasionally... Just ask my wife!

The fact it could happen is forewarned, thus forearmed...again - I had no clue.

Last edited by RCW; 1 Day Ago at 04:53 PM.
RCW is online now   Reply With Quote