BX 23S new operator question on MMM

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
Just put my MMM on my BX 23S yesterday.. That was some fun.. I do find the more I put the implements on and off the easier it gets!

As I was cutting the grass I noticed that the PTO marking on the RPM gauge was pretty high and not where I was cutting the grass.

Should I cut the grass at the PTO setting? RPM seems high to me.. But I read many threads on the BX 25 and I see where they are running the RPMs high for the MMM.

Looking for confirmation to cut grass with MMM at the PTO RPM range.

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
2018 BX23s (TLB w/ a mower deck)
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
I would double check the manual but I run my BX23s at PTO speed with the MMM and I believe that is where the manual says to run it.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Yep, run it at the PTO mark on the tachometer. That way the blades will operate at the optimal speed and give you a clean cut, especially if the grass is a bit wet.

I find little change in fuel consumption and operate the tractor speed at the top end of low range in tall grass in spring, then about mid speed in high range in the late summer when it is dry where I live.

And I agree with you. When my BX was brand new I struggled getting the FEL and BH on and off. After a few cycles it is very quick. A level hard surface helps quite a bit!

Don't forget the MMM anti scalp wheels can turn 90 degrees, that helps a lot getting it on and off.

If you are putting the FEL back on and get the attach arms out of sync, back up a few inches and run the arms to the end of travel on the stick. That will get them back in sync with each other. I learned that by trial and error!

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
Yep, run it at the PTO mark on the tachometer. That way the blades will operate at the optimal speed and give you a clean cut, especially if the grass is a bit wet.

I find little change in fuel consumption and operate the tractor speed at the top end of low range in tall grass in spring, then about mid speed in high range in the late summer when it is dry where I live.

And I agree with you. When my BX was brand new I struggled getting the FEL and BH on and off. After a few cycles it is very quick. A level hard surface helps quite a bit!

Don't forget the MMM anti scalp wheels can turn 90 degrees, that helps a lot getting it on and off.

If you are putting the FEL back on and get the attach arms out of sync, back up a few inches and run the arms to the end of travel on the stick. That will get them back in sync with each other. I learned that by trial and error!
Thanks for your reply, I did go back and re read the manual, its amazing what is new in there ever time you read it! LOL

One weekend I spent about 4 hours taking the FEL and BH on and off making notes.. I am feeling better about those implements now. I need to do the same thing with the MMM.

But can you explain the FEL attach arm comment a bit more? Does this happen if I get the FEL at an angle?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think you will find that WOT is what is recommended to run through engaging it at idle and then running it up is a super good idea,, it saves a lot of parts from snapping up to really fast

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Certainly.

On the FEL, notice the vertical arms that mate with the tractor frames right near the little toggle levers used to lock and unlock the FEL to the tractor.

If you have a situation where the detached FEL is not level (left to right parallel) with the tractor itself, it is very easy to get the arms out of sync (one vertical with the other toward or away from you) with each other making it near impossible to hook up & lock on the FEL.

If that happens to you back out a few inches and run the arms full travel in or out. This will get the arms back to working in plane with each other. Also put some wedge material under the bucket to bring the FEL parallel to the tractor left to right.

First time I dropped the FEL off on an uneven hilly surface I had a devil of a time figuring this out. I did not grow up on a farm so this has been a trial and error learning experience for me!

I hope this was understandable, it is hard to explain it in words alone.

Messicks has some youtube videos showing the attach/detach of BX23S FEL and BH but the "how to fix it when you eff it up" is up to the viewer.

Last edited:

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
Thanks everyone. I plan to use the pto speed for my mower. I watch Messicks videos often Neil makes it look too easy.

Appreciate the feed back the FEL arms. I***8217;m fortunate to have a garage to remove my fel.

Last edited: