Problems with preassure and ballasted tires

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I know there is a similar thread recently but I have some additional questions and did not want to hijack that thread- I need some help understanding tire ballast and air preassure and how to apply that.

I have a Kubota l3000dt with the front and rear tires ballasted. The manual calls for 26lbs front on 7-16 ag tires and 14lbs on 11.2-24 rear. All tubed tires.

During the winter I added air to that preassure. We had a fast warm up and now my front tires are splitting. They are dry rotted but still they are splitting.

I have let air out and will replace the tires but i realizes in all this that I may not understand how to properly inflate ballasted tires. Or measure them.

I do always have the stem at 12 o’clock but still sometimes fluid blows out. Also, I tend to get different readings each time.I have tried w 2 different gauges one especially for fluid filled tires and one regular

My questions are
1) with fluid filled tires do you fill them to a lower preassure? How do you know what’s right?
2) why do I keep getting different pressure readings and how do I get some accuracy.
3) why does fluid come out even when I have the valve stem at 12:00. If the shop overfilled, once I get the level below the stem will that stop?

Thanks in advance for the help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They fill to the same Air PSI loaded or unloaded.

With the Valve stem at 12 O'clock try purging the air out, does it keep pushing fluid or just a little fluid at first, (that's normal), if it keeps pushing fluid out they are over filled and will need drained down a little.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
At 12 o’clock it seems like it continually pushes fluid and air mixed. So I need to drain some. Could that be why I can’t get a consistent psi reading?

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
It could be the size of the air pockets inside your tires. The smaller the size of the pockets the greater the change in air pressure if even a little amount is removed.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I read on another forum, that before you check pressure on loaded tires, to add some air to clear any fluid that may have accumulated in the valve stem.
I have not tried this myself yet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
At 12 o’clock it seems like it continually pushes fluid and air mixed. So I need to drain some. Could that be why I can’t get a consistent psi reading?
Yes it could. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I read on another forum, that before you check pressure on loaded tires, to add some air to clear any fluid that may have accumulated in the valve stem.
I have not tried this myself yet.
It works the same if you clear the valve by burping it too, so either will work. ;)