BX1500 oil leak

KRB

Equipment
BX1500d
Aug 18, 2009
Fredericksburg, va
Just purchased a used BX1500. Found low or no oil in front axle. Filled it and now see why it was low. It is leaking at the pivot bolt. Is there a seal there and how difficult is it to change? Can a do-it yourself guy fix it? Thanks

KRB

Equipment
BX1500d
Aug 18, 2009
Fredericksburg, va
Update I removed the front axle and there are two "O" rings and plastic keepers. I ordered new o rings/ keepers/brass bushings. I don't know how to get the old brass bushings out. Any info on how best to do it? They seem to be pressed in and probably bottom out. Do I have to rip them out by chiseling them out? Help.

mcbain

Apr 25, 2010
Kansas
Does anyone have any pointers for pulling, or extracting the pivot pin bushings from the front axle housing of a BX-1500?

It looks like the bushings are seated up against the housing, so I can't get a punch on the back side to drive them out.

Is chiseling my only option? Are they brass?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Update I removed the front axle and there are two "O" rings and plastic keepers. I ordered new o rings/ keepers/brass bushings. I don't know how to get the old brass bushings out. Any info on how best to do it? They seem to be pressed in and probably bottom out. Do I have to rip them out by chiseling them out? Help.
I am not familiar with this particular application but brass bushing in a blind hole can sometimes be extracted by hydraulic pressure.
You need a drift that will just slide inside the bush then fill with grease then start the drift into the bush and give it a solid blow with a hammer..if your lucky the bush will pop out...Warning !!if the drift is not tight enough, grease will squirt back and odds on it will hit you in the eye so wear goggles or wrap a rag around the drift to catch the spray.
If that fails,and you don't have access to a slide hammer extractor set,you can try with what we call in the UK a Rawl bolt (metal concrete fixing) that expands inside the bush and and then lever it out.
http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=fasteners&MainCategoryID=8

There are other methods some of which require a higher degree of skill and can result in damage to the casing so won't go into them

Dave

Last edited:

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Found this old post. I am getting ready for the same procedure. Did you figure out a good way to safely remove the bushings? I was thinking of a bearing puller type tool?
Jeff

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My book has these dimensions:

Center pin diameter either 19.850 to 20.000mm, or 0.78150 - 0.78740 inch

Bush I.D. 20.000 to 20.0811mm or 0.78741 to 0.79059 inch

Then and easy way to leave you hanging. "If clearance exceeds the allowable limit, replace it." Assume that means the bush.

I wonder if a trick I sometimes use can work here. Heat the bushing with a torch, but not to the point of melting. the idea is the bushing will try to expand, but cant. So it compresses some. maybe makes it small enuff to come out easily when cold.. It may take a few trys.

Last edited:

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
A friend and myself just did this repair last weekend. The hardest part was figuring out the steering knuckles. They would not budge. So we just unscrewed them from the end of the steering cylinder. There is enough hose play to pull that cylinder up out of the way and tie wrap it to the front of the tractor. Then it is a simple matter to pull the axle pivot bolt. Drive shaft just slides apart. So now the axle is free and out from under the tractor where you can get at it and see whats going on. The keepers and old O Ring gets removed. Then to get the bushings out we simply threaded in a 1/2" NPT tap. It bites into the bushing just enough to be able to punch the Tap out from the other side. Pulling the bushing out with it. Slick as can be. Someone here on the forum came up with the idea and it is simple as can be. Had both out in 10 min once the axle was out. Tapped the new bushings in part way with a deadblow hammer. Then used an all thread with some washers on each side to pull it in flush. I have a lathe so I chucked the old bushing in the chuck and turned down the diameter a bit and used that as a punch to tap the new bushing home. New O rings and retainer and reassemble. Now the part I made a mess of was filling the front axle. I pulled both drain screws before I started all this and with rolling it around it had to be pretty empty. The book says 2.4 qt but at just UNDER 2 qt it was overflowing out the other side opposite the dipstick. Drained a bit and drove it around the yard and now letting it settle to get a good dipstick measure. Looks to be about 1.75 qt. Is the book wrong or I somehow did not get all the old fluid out. Sure made a mess on the shop floor. :)
Jeff

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
Drive a bit in 4 wheel drive to get all the oil into everywhere. They develope air pockets with a good drain oil change.

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

Flintshooter54

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 4, 2016
OH
Yea drove it a bit and adjusted the level as to the dipstick. At least it has been a couple weeks now and no drips on the floor anymore!! I love this little guy. That front end loader is so helpful.