Need Radiator for L225 restoration. pics

KUBOTAL225

Equipment
Kubota L225
Feb 4, 2016
LaPlace,La
This would be my first post, although I have been reading and searching throughout OTT for the past year.

I was given a L225 from my father-in-law cuz it would not run. It had straight water in the radiator , froze, and blew the freeze plug behind the front cover. I also checked the radiator and found about a dozen pin hole leaks.

Where can I get a radiator for this thing?? Kubota wants over $550.00, aftermarket wants about 350-400 (no one can get it seems like), checked at two radiator shops and they want over $500 to recore.

Since I didn't have any money into this L225 and I was looking for a tractor for my deer camp, I figured I should do a restoration. I now have about $2k into it with many many gaskets, seals, wheel bearings, steering overhaul,seat, New cylinder Head (cracked at valve seat) valves, and muffler. I guess I should bite the bullet and get one from Kubota . Just seems really high priced. Does anyone have a source for one?

I have some pictures. Hope it posts ok.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

KUBOTAL225

Equipment
Kubota L225
Feb 4, 2016
LaPlace,La
Thanks 85hokie.

I did see the radiator you posted a link to. I'm not sure if that would work. I don't know the size of it. Also the lower neck is bent down, whereas mine is strait. I'd hate to buy it and I could not get it to work.

Had anyone else used a L175 radiator on a L225?

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
If I remember right the l245 replaced the L225. They share a lot of the same parts. The radiator might interchange with little to no modification.

KUBOTAL225

Equipment
Kubota L225
Feb 4, 2016
LaPlace,La
Wow, thanks for all the suggestion!

I really would hate to put a used radiator on it. It has to be 30 plus years old? If all else fails, I may have to.

The New Holland L225 seams to be completely different animal.

I ordered the radiator from tractor-parts-warehouse.com. They showed two in stock. I waited over a month and didn't get the radiator. I tried calling/emailing dozens of times. I had to go through paypal to get my money back.

I love Messick's, but i just can't get my head around the $560 they want for it.

I will have to look into the L245 being compatible. Although I would like a drop in.

Here are a few more pics. I wetblasted the tractor, picklex 20 it, primed with a 2k primer, and used factory paint. Now I need to tackle the sheet metal. Fenders rusted through on both sides. I will have to cut and replace metal. I hate this part worse than paying $560 for a radiator

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Because you get a radiator from a salvage yard, and it's a 30 yr. old tractor doesn't necessarily mean the radiator is 30 years old.

Maybe, just maybe, someone else spend the $500 for a new radiator....then something else cause the tractor to be in the yard! You just have to pay the $500, or take your chances.

Oh, when you buy a new radiator from the dealer....you get the radiator for the price quoted. You need the shroud....that's another $125!

I got the radiator and shroud. And it wasn't an L305 ,as I said earlier, it was a B7100 HST. An expensive unit since it has special connections for the HST cooler.

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
you might also want to keep your eyes open for a L2000. This a close "gray market" version of the L225. There is a place near you in Alabama that might be of some help. Mid South Salvage (256) 353-5661 It might be worth giving them a call. In one of D2cat's earlier posts you will see the link for west Kentucky salvage, they are another good option.

Last edited:

KUBOTAL225

Equipment
Kubota L225
Feb 4, 2016
LaPlace,La
Thanks billrigby. It took several months, on the weekends. After jacking up on the rear axles, it started to leak. The axle seals were hard and brittle. Took both rear axles out and replaced all seals and bearings, and nuts. Also replaced all seals for the hydrolic lift(every o ring and seals). I still have ALL the sheat metal to do. I fear that part.

D2Cat , your 100% right. Its more than likely what I'll do. I'm just a bit nervous, but it's not like I'll be using it all the time.

I have tried Mid South Salvage, but i never got a call back from them.