Borrowing a subsoiler (single tine ripper) with pipe laying attachment

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Hello All.
Curious whether someone local to central Massachusetts has one of the single tine rippers with pipe laying attachments that I could borrow.

Seems like a waste to buy something for 30 minutes of work, but can't find anywhere to rent one. I just want to lay water line and electrical to two small garden areas. I will end up making the pipe layer portion if I have to and buy the subsoiler part. But, would be easier to borrow one if anyone has one. Thanks.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Seems like a waste to buy something for 30 minutes of work, but can't find anywhere to rent one. I just want to lay water line and electrical to two small garden areas. I will end up making the pipe layer portion if I have to and buy the subsoiler part. But, would be easier to borrow one if anyone has one. Thanks.
In my rural area most people with equipment refuse to lend it because it often comes back broken. Sometimes they will come and do the job with their equipment as an alternative to be a good neighbor and in that way know there equipment will be used properly. Loaning tools same story.

For example, if the subsoiler hooks unto a big rock and it is connected to a powerful tractor it will be broken

Consider renting a trencher at Home Depot.
Dave M7040

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryL

Equipment
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
In my rural area most people with equipment refuse to lend it because it often comes back broken. Sometimes they will come and do the job with their equipment as an alternative to be a good neighbor and in that way know there equipment will be used properly. Loaning tools same story.

For example, if the subsoiler hooks unto a big rock and it is connected to a powerful tractor it will be broken

Consider renting a trencher at Home Depot.
Dave M7040
The trenchers at HD are manual drive. You have pull them backwards. I just found one that is hydraulic drive, but what a mess it leaves in the yard. The subsoiler will cut a nice gap, lay the piping and electrical in it and will just need some rolling flat to get it to be as good as new.
This is what it looks like home made when you use PVC to add to a subsoiler to lay pipe.

I will probably just buy a subsoiler and add my own pipe attachment. I just thought I would give my tractor community a shot to borrow something instead. I understand about loaning stuff. I have tools that are my tools. I may help you do something, but I really don't like loaning out my tools.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If you bought one and used it for what you need to do, you can always throw it in craigslist and probably get close to what you paid for it.

GaryL

Equipment
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
If you bought one and used it for what you need to do, you can always throw it in craigslist and probably get close to what you paid for it.
Very true. I do sometimes regret selling something, only to need it once again. But, always an option.

GaryL

Equipment
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
How deep can you run the wire with that attachment?
Supposedly about 10-12". I blow out all my underground lines and then fill with Rv antifreeze, so that should be fine for a water line. It is just to water gardens around the property.

Jim Barnett

Equipment
L4701, RTV 1140
Feb 4, 2016
Dallas
Sounds like a lot of work to winterize. Why not put them below the frost line and use Non-Freeze Hose Bibbs?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd do as Jim suggest. Rent a real trencher from a rental yard and bury the line deep enough you never have to mess with it again.

A gas powered ride on trencher will have flotation tires and not tear up your yard any more then your tractor with a sub soiler. Trench will be <6" wide and you will have a backfill blade to push the crumbs back into the trench.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
GaryL,
I think with a BX2200 your going to be working really hard to even get a foot in the ground unless your working in sand, your even likely to tear up the ground just trying to do it.
Also the loop that you shown made out of the PVC is way too tight of a loop, you would need a wider loop to make it work. ;)

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
That tight loop would work with wiring as shown, or garden hose, if that is what you wanted to bury. :)

If you make one, make it like the first photo.

Bruce

GaryL

Equipment
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Sounds like a lot of work to winterize. Why not put them below the frost line and use Non-Freeze Hose Bibbs?
Only takes me 5 minutes to blow out each line and back fill with antifreeze. No matter how deep I put the lines, the two ends come to the surface. I have 1,000 gallon rain catchment system from my roof. These tanks are fed to a pump then to 1-1/2" pvc that goes underground over to the gardens. It then comes up to a faucet and hose connection. I have had both ends freeze up before when I didn't get to empty it in time.
I use a homemade version of this:

to clear the lines, and then backfill with one of these:

in a five-gallon pail of RV Antifreeze. Takes no time at all.

At 1:09 you get to see how small an impact one of the subsoilers leaves on your lawn with laying pipe. Very little repair needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ntj0YLrcng

GaryL

Equipment
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
GaryL,
I think with a BX2200 your going to be working really hard to even get a foot in the ground unless your working in sand, your even likely to tear up the ground just trying to do it.
Also the loop that you shown made out of the PVC is way too tight of a loop, you would need a wider loop to make it work. ;)
I will have to look at the radius of the corner. I think I can get one that is more full radius vs. straight then tight radius. The actual metal attachment for the subsoiler is only an additional $100, so I might just buy both and have something that I can keep around and use in the future for friends and family. Everyone always wants to put water or electrical out to a shed or garage or something, but usually doesn't bother cause they don't want to dig that much. (Me included)

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Our "frost" line is 48" - last winter we had 6 feet of frost so if you can blow it out like you say the subsoiler is the way to go. I need one for the same reason. Get water to my garden from one direction and from a shed roof/rain barrel to a holding tank in the other.