Bent up tiller

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I'm almost embarrassed to post my bubble gum welding stuff, but I haven't posted anything in a while. Anyway the son in law bent the snot out of my 4 ft befco tiller. I forgot to take before pictures but I took a couple of after pics. And painted it Kubo orange. DSC00431 [800x600].jpg The old frame was 3/8 x 1 1/2 angle and 1/2 by1 1/2 flat bar. The new frame is 3/4 x 2 flat bar. I,m hoping he won't bend this one.

DSC00434 [800x600].jpg

DSC00432 [800x600].jpg

DSC00433 [800x600].jpg

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dusty-t ... your strength of material is superior to what you had but I want to help you with your statement "my bubble gum welding stuff". If you are using SMAW electrodes like the infamous E7018 and you are getting a cold wrap, a term from MIG welding with a rod, turn the heat up and get penetration. Too much reinforcement weld deposit causes stress risers which lead to cracks in the weld either at the root or the toe of the weld where you are joining the two parent materials. I don't have my cheaters on so I can't look any closer at your welds but alignment looks good overall and I bet he won't bent this hitch! ;)

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Thanks Ob1kubota and Vic, I don't think the welds will break, its just that for the most part my welds are ugly. Penetration was ok, just an unsteady hand doing the welding. For the most part I don't have a problem with welds other than appearance. It is only a 19 hp B8200 that the tiller is on. I grounded him from the Kubota and the Steiner all he is left with is the push mower. He is a real worker if I could get him to be just a little less rammy with the equipment.:D Thanks again guys

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dusty I use a stranded cable stinger with a quick connect that helps with apprearance because you aren't fighting the heavy cable from the Weld Machine as you make your beads. I was on a job years ago when I welded for the power company and this dude ( contractor ) showed up during an outage with what he called a wipe line stinger ( electrode holder ). He pulled his stinger out of a case like a professional Pool Shark would screw his stick together and connected to a bank of Weld Machine leads and laid some rod man I mean laid rod man like a machine weld he laid bead after bead. Simply class all the way. I just went back to breaking EB rings down ( walking the cup as they call it during root pass) on high pressure boiler tube with a TIG torch and let the "dude" do his perfect cover passes (SMAW E9018s) for the X-ray boys. Never wasted even one "R" stamp.... true story...:D

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ob1kubota I love the handle. I am just a beginner welder, I've been a beginner welder for about 20 years. I only do my own stuff. I've had rheumatoid arthritis for about the same amount of time. I really have to think before I move anything. So it takes me a while to fix or make things. But I don't have a boss other than the wife so I am living every mans dream. I get to play in the shop everyday. I can't seem to get away from my old arc welder, I bought a cheap 220 mig from tsc but I'm not comfortable with it. Too cheap to put gas with it. Thanks for the story, its really cool when you run into someone like that guy who obviously viewed his job as an art.:D

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Dusty, as said before it looks like it will hold and not break good job. Hey I know all about the RA stuff I've had it for some time but just though I was getting old:mad: but come to find out I had more than just that something they sprayed on us in 69 while I was in the Army has done a number on me but as you said I only have one boss now and that's the wife and I think she thinks I know what I'm doing:rolleyes:. But it looks great to me! OB1Kubota I also agree with Dusty that is a great handle. I was pretty good at welding with a stick machine years ago but it seems there must be a lot more smoke (can't see as good) now. When I got my B6000 I also got a Hobart mig so back to the learning curve but so far I like it. The way I have broke stuff and find the best stuff that has rusted out to buy I'll have lots to practice on :D.

You both well even Vic are great at telling how to do things and I am going to need a lot of how to. :eek: This poor little B6000 has been worn hard and put away wet so I'm one by one repairing and replacing thing as I find them so a lot of help.

I just replaced the starter, found a rebuilt for less than half of a new one and now I found that the wiring or key switch is bad so I'll also be doing some electrical but I'm Ok with that......I have a fire extinguisher.... :eek:
I'll be in touch so stand by..... Jerry

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Thanks for the reply Jerry. Sorry to hear about the R/A , just don't stop working even if it means crawling to the shop. And keep us posted on that B6000. :D

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Always something to do!!

Dusty,
I so much agree about never stopping. The good Lord has me here for reason and it isn't to lay around and feel sorry for my self. I have always been one to do something and when they told me I wasn't going to be able to work any more I said OK and just found what I can do. I don't get the paycheck but I keep busy with our place, church and what ever I can. This B6000 will keep me busy for a while and then I also just got a worn out rusted dump truck so lots to do and that's only what I have the wife always finds stuff for me also.....:rolleyes:

I found my fuel leak today and repaired it and traced out the wiring for the start switch and found that it is a broken wire in the harness no big deal just have to pull it out and I'm set. When I was checking the fuel leak I did find something funny, the in line fuel filter was gone and what they cal a fuel pump assy. isn't there also. I'm find more and more stuff like this as I go along. :(

I was going to take a picture of my Beast but just as I pulled it out side it started raining big time and lighting and thunder. I don't mind getting wet but I'm passing on the lighten rod stuff for the trees. :D I'll keep you updated.