Knob on BX23

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
I have been waiting patiently for my owners manual to come so I could find out what this knob does. I just found out it will be another week before it gets here. Can anyone help me out? It is located below the seat to the left of the knob that I think regulates the speed of the 3PH drop. There is an arrow above it and it has the numbers 0.0, 0.5, 1.0,......3.5, 4.0, and the word TOP on it.

Attachments

Jim shooz

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2011
Tauranga NZ
According to page 28 of my manual for my BX2350 that knob is the "Cutting height control dial" for a mid mounted mower. Further down it says "Set the cutting height control dial to TOP position. Failure to do so could result in damage to the mower rear links".

I have a rear mounted mower so I have no idea what the 'dial' does. HTH

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
Jim, Thank you for the quick response and your help. I suspected that is what it is for but I wanted to make sure before I messed something up. Ignorance isn't always bliss.
I have a frend who has a 72" rear mounted mower that I am going to borrow and try. If it works as good as I hope it will I plan to buy one. I may end up with a mid mount mower, I just don't know yet. It is getting a little old changing belts on my old MTD 46" lawn tractor.
Thanks again. ametcalf

Jim shooz

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2011
Tauranga NZ
I'm running a Sicma (Italian) 60" rear mounted and it copes well. Struggles a bit when the grass gets halfway up the wheels. :D Front wheels get a bit light when turning uphill so I tend to leave the FEL on most of the time. I have a couple of suitcase weights but have yet to get a suitable mounting.

Babyfat

Jun 24, 2010
Grass Lake, MI
www.dakins.com
It is for the mid mower height, top is to keep the mower all the way up when using the 3pt because the 3pt controls the mid lift also, if you don't have anything under the tractor turn it to top and leave it. the other thing is that 72'" mower is WAY to big for a BX tractor 60" is prolly max on the rear if you have a loader or counter weight on the front.

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
Babyfat, thank you for the advice on the mower size.
Now that I know what the knob is for I have to work on it and get it so it will turn. Right now it is on 3.0 and won't move. My guess is that the backhoe has never been off and this knob hasn't been moved for years.
Thanks again, Arvid Metcalf