gray market rookie questions

graymktrookie

Equipment
L2000/L225
Aug 7, 2009
Canfield, Ohio, USA
I own an L2000 (L225 equivalent?) and I was wondering if I could use a multi weight oil in this machine rather than the SAE30 (for over 77 degrees) or the SAE 20 for 32-77 degrees)?
Also, I was told by the previous owner that adding a front loader to this tractor was not recommended, could that be true? He said he was told by another company selling gray market items that without power steering it makes it too hard to steer.

I'm new to this tractor stuff-hope these aren't ridiculous questions!

By the way -great site for info and Vic does an awesome job on the videos! Very easy to follow and great tips!

Graymktrookie

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Not sure why PS would be a problem with the loader. My 8200 has a factory Kubota loader and doesn't have PS (that will change soon). It does get a little tough to turn, but not something you will throw your shoulder out with. My dad owns an L295DT with a loader and no PS as well. Perhaps there is some other reason that Vic might chime in on.

If I were you, I'd switch to a multigrade (15W-40) diesel rated synthetic oil. It will hold up to more abuse and provides better lubricity than the standard stuff does. IMHO.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I have a L1801 which I have had for the last 7 years. Some of what I have learned is to use 15W40 the oil is flat better at protecting the engine and it doesn't fail as quickly as a straight weight oil. Just pick your favorite brand of oil and use it.

I also have a FEL on mine and just limit the size of the bucket to the tractor as mine also has no power steering, I think that the max sized bucket would be around a 49" and you should be able to use it with no problems.

One thing to consider and that is to have a counterweight on the 3 point hitch. If I am working in a tight area I grab my counterweight that I made from a garbage can. I took a old plastic garbage can and drilled it and placed the pins where the three point arms were at their lowest position and then placed 4 each 5' length of PVC pipes in the corners (about 6" in from the corner) and secured them then filled the garbage can with cement (I used 5 bags of 80 pound Quickcrete). The PVC pipes were capped at the bottom and open at the top so I could carry tools around in them like a shovels or what have you. After the cement set I simply cut the plastic garbage can off the cement and painted the cement with white exterior paint that I had when I painted my house.

The only other thing I would do is use a quality transmission oil like Super UDT or something similar from Wal-Mart.

These tractors will take on just about anything that you can want but just remember that for your safety to do it right and then go have your seat time.

graymktrookie

Equipment
L2000/L225
Aug 7, 2009
Canfield, Ohio, USA
Thank you folks for the great responses! I will take your advice about the 15W40. With regard to the FEL,the local Kubota dealer seems a bit cold toward working on my gray tractor. Any resource available that identifies gray market "friendly" service people in the northeast Ohio area? Any suggestions on where to find a front end loader to add on to my L2000?

Thanks again for the valuable input!

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
Thank you folks for the great responses! I will take your advice about the 15W40. With regard to the FEL,the local Kubota dealer seems a bit cold toward working on my gray tractor. Any resource available that identifies gray market "friendly" service people in the northeast Ohio area? Any suggestions on where to find a front end loader to add on to my L2000?

Thanks again for the valuable input!
:D Join the Clan about the Dealerships being cold about our GMT, ;)
I found this out during the first year of owning my GMT, the next 10 years I realized I must work on it myself, but the really good thing was Not much work ever needed to be done, beside routine maintenance,oil/filter changes, adjusting the clutch & brakes a couple times over the years, I was lucky to have owned a rock Solid Gray Market Kubota, and I hope You have as much luck while owning yours, .... FEL are very expensive if buying one New,and because the smaller loaders are largely in demand they are priced thru the roof, a few months back I purchased a nice and very little used compact FEL, although it was still to large for my tractor so I went to the local kubota dealership and ask would they consider a trade for a smaller one? One I could use with my tractor? they still ask for 2000 + the trade of my almost new loader, which retail for 4,000 New,that would be like 6-k?.... I soon realized that I could perhaps Buy a complete tractor with a loader installed for less then buying a FEL alone,..... I suggest post a wanted ad over the net in your local area or State, you might luck up and one will turn up at a reasonable price, I say if the dealerships what to be left alone by us GMT owners, Than so be it!

Last edited:

steve

Equipment
B7100HST, B5001DT/B5100DT, JD-111H, Chevy K2500 DuraMax, CJ-5, CJ-7, TJ jeeps
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
Rookie
Go with the advice of Service Dept Vic, 15W40. He has seen it all and know these machines inside and out. It's not like it will void your warrantee.
Steve
B5001D running 15W40

hawthd

Equipment
L2000
Nov 3, 2009
canada
Just wondering where you got your oil filter for your L2000 Kubota. Oil bath type. Thanks

L2000DT

Equipment
L2000DT
Dec 25, 2009
Staunton, VA, USA
hawthd,

I also have an L2000DT with the bath type oil filter that uses a replaceable element. Apparently some had this or the spin on...may be early versus late model thing??...you can change the oil filiter housing to the spin on type...

The NAPA 7030 or WIX 57030 should be the one you need. Same as an L1801 (two cylinder L2000, basically)

Let me know how this works out...