I am up on blocks and scratching my head!

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
It's the fourth quarter and 10 seconds to go...

Guys I am going to install my new front drive universals on my B2410. Here is the sixty four dollar question...

How the ^&$@# do you get to the roll pins on the universal on the transmission side of the front drive line?

I pealed back the floor board mat and there is a tiny 1/2" hole where I can see the end cap of the actual universal. No way to get to the roll pins from top side!!!!!!

Slid under the beast and can see the universal... but I can't see any fricken way to get to the roll pins.

Vic... Mr. K and the general orange population... how the hell do you get to it without splitting the tractor?????

Butch

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I've always split them to do u-joints. But as Vic says, we usually have them split for something else when we do them!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
It's the fourth quarter and 10 seconds to go...

Guys I am going to install my new front drive universals on my B2410. Here is the sixty four dollar question...

How the ^&$@# do you get to the roll pins on the universal on the transmission side of the front drive line?

I pealed back the floor board mat and there is a tiny 1/2" hole where I can see the end cap of the actual universal. No way to get to the roll pins from top side!!!!!!

Slid under the beast and can see the universal... but I can't see any fricken way to get to the roll pins.

Vic... Mr. K and the general orange population... how the hell do you get to it without splitting the tractor?????

Butch
I am not familiar with your situation but I have used bolts in place of roll pins. Not sure if this will work in your case but just my 2 bits.:D

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Just another thought besides the bolt idea, how about cutting a hole in the floor board in the appropriate place and then patch the hole. Seems easier than splitting the tractor:(
Back to the bolt idea. I am assuming that the roll pin is to keep the u-joint from coming off the shaft? A bolt will serve the purpose quite well assuming you can get at it to do that.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
It would be very easy to cut a small diameter access hole in the floor over the roll pins.

As a matter of fact the access hole would be under the plastic under seat cover and covered by the mat. We are only talking 7/8 to 1 inch hole.....

Looks like that is the way I'll go. You all want me to post pics as I go?:D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well it IS your tractor, you can drill whatever holes in it you like, But it really isn't very hard to "split" a B2410. You only need to separate it about 100mm. You can have a look at the driveshaft coupler as well when you have it split, if the u joints need replacing it probably is getting bad too.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I'm no good to you on this one.

Looks like that is the way I'll go. You all want me to post pics as I go?[/QUOTE]

Duh....ya!

Ditto from me.....but the hole drillin sounds like something I would go for.

Guess I'll just go boil water and tear sheets :D

Looking forward to the pic's of how ya do this fix!

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I finally changed out the front drive shaft universals.

I did not split the tractor. :eek:

What I did was mark the location on the top frame plate (under the rubber floor mat) of the double roll pins on the of the universal yoke attached to the transmission spline.

I said a little prayer:rolleyes: and then with a 3/4" hole saw drilled a hole that was dead spot on! When I looked in the newly cut hole... there it was.... the double roll pins!:eek::eek::D

Long story short... I popped the pins, slipped out the drive shaft complete with the old yokes in tact. :D

30 minutes later all was reinstalled and the vibration was gone when traveling in high gear full throttle:) :cool:

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
:eek:By the way....The coupler shaft from the engine to the transmission was checked and there was NO PLAY at all. :D

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I wish I had thought sooner to tell you but, if you drilled the hole at 7/8 a 1/2 in EMT conduit plug would pop in the hole to plug it. some thing used to plug holes in metal wiring boxes that have had a circuit removed from them. I suppose you could use a uni-bit to open it up an 1/8th if you really wanted to.

most of the plugs are chrome or galv plated. many sizes exist in the electrical hardware section of the supply store. Plastic is becoming more common though.

kytim

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Many automotive parts stores carry assorted different rubber push in plugs commonly used to fill unused cutouts in automotive applications, I would be sure to use some paint around the fresh cut area to inhibit any corrosion.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I painted the bare metal from the cut and got a rubber plug cap from the local ACE hardware.:)

The big thing you need to know is...:eek:

YOU CAN REPLACE THE UNIVERSALS IN THE YOKES!!!!!

They are a metric universal held in place with internal C clips. Ther cost is about $12 each... a far cry from the $100 each :mad::mad::mad:for the two complete yoke assemblies! I am going to rebuild my old two and put them up for future use... Duh!
Later all! Butch:D

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
DJG.... It will take two sets of hands,,, someone with lots of patience and manual dexterity to manipulate the transmission side of the splin/yoke line-up and the placing of the drift pin to hold the yoke in place on the splin/yoke assembly. My wife did this for me.... I could not talk her into getting under the tractor.... so yhat was my job.

Guys... it took two tries and she had the drift pin in place. I did the under side stuff and then did the topside. I was on the road in 20 minutes.:D

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Jam up job Butch but you forgot something..................................
where are the pics ? ? ?
Wife working on tractor, right, we gotta see that. :D:D:D LOL
LOL LOL

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I'll tell you what... soon as I find the charger to my camera I will take a pic of the hole I drilled to expose the transmission drive line roll pins on the B series. Guys... it is just a 1" or so hole cut in the plate above the roll pins. It can't be any simplier....

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Oh... you what a pic of the wife working on the tractor:eek:.... Guys... we all know that ain't going to happen. Talk about a compromising position... I'd have a better chance getting one x rated than working on my Bota:eek: