ZD331 Head gasket?

Firemedic

Equipment
ZD331, TLB48, M8540, RTV900
Nov 16, 2009
Hagerstown MD
Hi,
I have a ZD331 that I have had since new. It currently has 446 hours. This is one of the first ones sold and I was one of the lucky ones to put the fan through the radiator at 10 hours. Kubota covered it under warranty and issued a recall, the engine mounts allowed too much movement that allowed the far to contact the radiator. So I know this machine was hot once in it's life, 6 years ago. Since then it has ran fine, maybe used a cup or two of coolant every year. The dealer told me to "keep an eye" on it.
This year I began to notice white smoke at start up and more coolant loss. The dealer now says "its been too long" so it's all on me now.
The machine has been running fine. Today I pulled the head and everything appeared ok. I had the head magna fluxed and no cracks were found. I did notice the head is approx 0.005 warped. It is low in the center. The machine shop I use was unable to mill it due to the steel injector cups. So not wanting to wait I put it back together with a new head gasket. Now the machine will not start. I took it apart a second time and reinstalled and retorqued everything. Valves are adjusted.
Is 0.005 enough to cause a leak? Why would it run but after putting it back together now it won't.
Cam the head be milled enough to get it flat?
Any recommendations are appreciated

Mike

carletal

Equipment
SVL 95-2s
Jan 31, 2024
WA
My ZD331 with the same problem. Just finished up reassembly with a new head gasket, hoping that is all it was. (Not: crack somewhere in block or head). Startup: took a bunch of cranking but it started up and ran well, especially when warmed up. Does yours make an effort to start but does not finish? If so, it is probably not electrics. Even though it is not cold here now, it took running the glow plugs for about 10 full seconds to get a better start at first. Also took some cranking to purge the diesel up to the injectors, as air is introduced in the takedown and build. I did buy a liquid chamber CO2 detector set that goes in the "bubbles" pathway from my overflow tank and it was definitely positive for a real leak, probably a head crack that I just didn't see, or worse, a crack in the block. Assuming you just did the head gasket routine and didn't do anything to change the injector timing, and you valve lash is proper, yeah, it really should start! I doubt that helped, but I commiserate with you!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It's been using coolant for how long? Dealer should have known about it long ago. It's also long past due for a coolant flush. It does "wear out".

If it won't start after doing a cylinder head gasket, do a compression test. 400 psi+ is what they need to see. 380 is minimum I think on those.

if gasket is leaking, you'll have pressure in the radiator when cranking. If you have coolant in the radiator, pull the cap off and crank the engine over. If it bubbles or spews, gasket is likely leaking.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
He has probably got it fixed as his original post was 10 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users