New Bx2370 coolant question

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I was checking fluids on my new kubota that i got this year. When i got her the overflow for the radiator was at the bottom line of acceptable so i didn't add any. When i just checked again at 40hrs the overflow is below the L line and i cant even seen fluid in there so it may be empty. I checked the radiator and its full and she has never heated above 3 bars so no concerns about overheating but i want to go ahead and get the level where it should be. The manual says unless there is a leak, which i dont suspect there is, i should top off with "soft water" to replace whats lost through evaporation. So three stupid questions.

1. what is soft water? Is that just distilled bottle water?

2. how much "evaporation" is normal? I guess i never thought much about it but it makes sense.

3. when the time comes for fluid replacement or if i ever get a leak can you tell me what type of coolant is recommended in these tractors? is it the same Prestone universal type coolant most cars take or is it something proprietary and model specific?

thanks guys!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You shouldn't be getting evaporation. I wouldn't add water to it. Just get a jug of the premixed antifreeze. Just make sure it's for all makes and models and it's compatible with any antifreeze. It will say it on the label.
Being that it's a new tractor, it sounds like the clamps need to be tightened on the coolant line. I've found on new equipment that they never seem to get the clamps quite tight enough. I'll run the engine till it reaches operating temperature and then snug up the coolant lines while the rubber is softer from the heat:cool:

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
my question then is why would the manual specifically reference this scenario if it doesn't occur? Maybe i am missing something. I will check my coolant lines when i go out though, good idea.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Tractor Supply has a coolant that has some kind of anti static stuff for diesel engines.. "Fleet charge" , I think it's called.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There is evaporation in the cooling system. It contains water and is open to air. Adding hot coolant to overflow will release steam at one point.

Adding soft water implies not to add hard water.
The best is de-mineralized water. Distilled water is next best.

Im assuming the coolant used is long life, any diesel compatable coolant should do. I prefer the universal antifreeze. Compatable with everything.

Years ago when gm was first to bring in long life coolant,they switched coolant on the line, draining the green and refilling with the pink/red stuff. At roughly the end of the coolant's lifespan it turned to mud. Brown and thick. A difficult thing to clean out of a cooling system. Turned out the old green caused a reaction, resulting in a mess. Was only a few vehicles i saw this,but clearly long life and regular coolant are not compatable. Make sure you know what you are adding to your cooling system.

TerraGatorguy

Equipment
BX1860
Oct 19, 2014
Minnesota
Please use extended life coolant, as a diesel mechanic for 20 years, there are a lot of things that give me reason's to suggest that.

1. Aluminum radiators
2. No coolant filters with additive suppluments
3. Electolosis

It's more expensive but worth it. Don't care what brand you use, just look for one that has aluminum on the label.

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
Ok i understand the argument for the long life stuff by my tractor is new and the stuff in the radiator and overflow looks bright green and factory installed. I cant add the long life stuff to this can i....i need to add the prestone 50/50 mix stuff from what i can decipher thus far.

wild bill

May 8, 2010
South Wales, NY
On our BX 2360, the clamp on the the hose at the bottom of the overflow container was not properly postioned. The fluid level slowly dropped similiar to your situation. A quick fix, once I found the problem!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've been told repeatedly by techs and have adopted the practice of not mixing 'colors' of antifreeze----greeen gets green, pink gets pink. For all I know there may now be other colors used.

For all the Kubotas I've been around and what we own, they all have 'green' antifreeze.

Make certain the material you buy says good for aluminum and may not be labeled 'long life'--not certain that's actually needed.

Buy or find a clean plastic 2.5-gal 'gas can', spray paint it 'green', mix in the can one gallon of WM purple-top distilled water and one gallon of "100% ethylene glycol" 'green' antifreeze of any brand----and always have on hand correctly mixed antifreeze blend without paying triple for the store-bought premixed. You probably have something else on the place that needs an occasional shot of antifreeze / coolant.

My 'green' plastic antifreeze (no longer gasoline red) can is 20-yrs old and every year or so I mix two gallons together and ready to go again.

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
That's a good idea actually. Are we sure I shouldn't just add the water like the manual says. Can you cause any harm if you over concentrate the antifreeze?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That's a good idea actually. Are we sure I shouldn't just add the water like the manual says. Can you cause any harm if you over concentrate the antifreeze?
chuck,

there is a tipping point, antifreeze is a double edged chemical, if you look at charts, it will lower freezing points AND raise boiling points! If the ratio gets past about 60% or so, it starts going backwards......so most use 50-50 cause it is simple, in a thermosyphon system i find the 30-70 works a little better than 50-50 - 30% being the antifreeze part. I would have a jug hanging around with a 50-50 mix, that way you are always right.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Prior poster talks about a tipping point in mixing antifreeze (aka coolant).

Take a look at the chart (haven't looked, guess it's still there) on the back of a gallon jug of antifreeze. Or find same on Internet by brand like Prestone or similar.

A 50-50 mix of ethylene glycol and distilled water is simple and very close to providing the lowest reasonable freezing point while also (you don't want to change the mix ratio every season--twice a year) providing a standardized elevation of the boiling point of the mixture. One of the brands used to advertise its 'year-round protection' arising from optimally meeting both summer and winter requirements.

Too much antifreeze (the ethylene glycol portion) compared to the water portion will allow your cooling fluid in the engine system to freeze at a higher temperature than the usual 50-50 mix----your machine won't be protected to as low a freezing (of the antifreeze mixture) temp.

I suspect most of us worry more about the freezing temp of the mix than the summer cooling aspect when mixing antifreeze.

I've been using the term 'mixture' but for the purists adding etylene glycol into water results in a 'solution', which makes for a subtle distinction in how the material behaves in the antifreezing-cooling system.

Please post back your experiences so we may all continue to learn.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
If you only adding a cup of water a year - then that is fine, you will not dilute the coolant enough to cause a issue, if you change the coolant per Kubota's recommended maintenance schedule that is.

If you only change the coolant every 10 years, then that is a lot of dilution, one cup at a time :)

As to the type, I only use CAT ELC, in all of my equipment, gas or diesel.

David

chucky79

Equipment
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
Tractor ended up being about 8oz low on coolant when I filled it up. I did my final mow of the season, mowed the pasture, and mulched some leaves this past week totally about 2ish hours of work and I notice she lost some fluid again. When I filled it up i went to the upper line on the over flow but after just two hours she is half way between the upper and lower lines. Im gonna pull the hood this weekend and check all the hose clamps as I didn't do that the first time but i dont know where to go from there. Ive never seen and leaks, the oil level doesn't appear to be increasing and its not discolored or look as though its mixing with water/coolant and im not getting any odd looking smoke or smells through the exhaust. If I don't find out whats up myself I guess she is going in for a warranty checkup.