L245DT L1700 Loader Control Valve Rebuild

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi. I am new to the forum and am looking for rebuilding information for a L245DT L1700 Loader Control Valve. Any suggestions as to where I can obtain info on rebuilding, inspecting, assembling, and/or any adjustments that can be made to this control valve? Thanks in advance for any information.

Frank

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd start with a Google search for the make and model of the control valve itself. I'm sure it's probably used in many other applications and you might get more hits than just here.

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
The issue I am having is the loader will barely lift it's own weight. Loader down and bucket roll up/down work fine. Through playing with it I found that if I roll the bucket up until it stops and hold the lever in the roll up position while lifting the loader, it lifts fine. I was thinking the problem must be some kind of internal control valve leakage or cross talk between ports. After doing some more research, I am now thinking it might be the pressure relief valve. This brings me to my manual/rebuild/adjustment info quest.

I have Googled and came up mostly empty handed. I have a new set of O-rings coming and have the valve disassembled. The spools look to be in great shape and the best I can tell the body bores are good too. I guess I'll put 'er back together and see what happens.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
The tilt (roll) side of my spool valve has a weak centering spring. The weight of the handle is enough to move the spool just enough to cause a constant "load" on the system. I used an external spring to compensate.

Also, if the three point is not adjusted properly, that can cause the loader to react slowly.

Have you cleaned the suction screen?

Milo

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
The tilt (roll) side of my spool valve has a weak centering spring. The weight of the handle is enough to move the spool just enough to cause a constant "load" on the system. I used an external spring to compensate.

Also, if the three point is not adjusted properly, that can cause the loader to react slowly.

Have you cleaned the suction screen?

Milo
I'll try playing with the three point and see if that helps.

As for the suction screen, it's probably time to clean that again. Question... When cleaning the screen, will the entire transmission case contents (UDT) drain or just what's in the screen well?

Thanks.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I'll try playing with the three point and see if that helps.

As for the suction screen, it's probably time to clean that again. Question... When cleaning the screen, will the entire transmission case contents (UDT) drain or just what's in the screen well?

Thanks.
All off the lube will need to drain. I drain it out the bottom first. Much easier to catch than the gusher out of the screen:)

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
All off the lube will need to drain. I drain it out the bottom first. Much easier to catch than the gusher out of the screen:)
Thanks Milo.

Does anyone have a cross section illustration or a good exploded view of this control valve that they would be willing to share? I need to see just where all the O-rings go. The kit I just picked up has many more O-rings than the parts catalog shows. Maybe they are internal or maybe the kit is a universal one which has more O-rings than it needs for any one model.

Also if anyone has knowledge of rebuilding this type of control valve, what is the trick to removing and replacing the O-rings in the valve body (spool) bores? No O-ring grooves on the spool so they must all be in the bores.

And is lithium grease ok to use as assembly lube? Is it compatible with UDT?

Thanks again!

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sorry for the slow response.
I have the parts and owners manual for the L1700 series loader.
I'll scan the valve body breakout portion later today.
A quick look at the diagram shows no "O" rings on the spools or body bores.
That is typical for spool valves (honed to fit)

Milo

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry for the slow response.
I have the parts and owners manual for the L1700 series loader.
I'll scan the valve body breakout portion later today.
A quick look at the diagram shows no "O" rings on the spools or body bores.
That is typical for spool valves (honed to fit)

Milo
Yeah, no o-rings on the spools (verified) but there is at least one per spool per end in the valve body. The diagram I do have, which is pretty poor, shows them. Besides it makes sense to keep the UDT from leaking out the ends of the valve assembly.

I will be finishing cleaning and inspecting the parts later today and will take a closer look. Way too dirty before to really see much before.

Great, any info would be great including an exploded view, cross section view and any assembly and/or adjustment instructions. Much appreciated Milo.

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
OK, here's a couple pics that may help.
Thanks Milo. I have these. I was hoping for something with more detail, i.e. this does not show the pressure relief valve components.

Anyway, I think I got it figured out. I was just sold the wrong O-ring kit. It wasn't even close. I'll try to get the corrected Monday.

I did find that the pressure relief valve was set very, very loose. I suspect that by tightening that up a bit will solve my problem. I'll let you know after next weekend.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A pressure gauge will prove valuable when adjusting the pressure relief valve or any other hydraulic system troubleshooting for that matter.

The specs for your machine (based on 1500 engine RPM) should be:
Loader Hydraulic system pressure = 1500 PSI just as relief valve cracks.

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
A pressure gauge will prove valuable when adjusting the pressure relief valve or any other hydraulic system troubleshooting for that matter.

The specs for your machine (based on 1500 engine RPM) should be:
Loader Hydraulic system pressure = 1500 PSI just as relief valve cracks.
I do not have a pressure gauge setup but I do agree it would be the best way to set the relief valve. Here is what I am thinking in lieu of using a pressure gauge... Without the tractor running and pressure relieved in the system, start with the relief valve about a 1/4-1/2 turn in after making initial ball to seat contact. Run the system and evaluate lifting performance. Adjust the relief valve to the point that it will just lift without bypassing and turn it in another 1/4 turn or so. Evaluate lifting a load. I am thinking of just creeping up on the relief pressure. Any thoughts on this manual method?

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I do not have a pressure gauge setup but I do agree it would be the best way to set the relief valve. Here is what I am thinking in lieu of using a pressure gauge... Without the tractor running and pressure relieved in the system, start with the relief valve about a 1/4-1/2 turn in after making initial ball to seat contact. Run the system and evaluate lifting performance. Adjust the relief valve to the point that it will just lift without bypassing and turn it in another 1/4 turn or so. Evaluate lifting a load. I am thinking of just creeping up on the relief pressure. Any thoughts on this manual method?

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them.
Don't do it. A 0-2000PSI dampened gauge is ~$20.00, a couple adapter fittings ~$5.00. Anything else is just guessing and hoping :)
That's my .02

Milo

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Milo, where did you get the pressure spec of 1500psi? I have a manual for my 1200 loader, and it doesn't actually cover the control valve, just says refer to the tractor manual.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Milo, where did you get the pressure spec of 1500psi? I have a manual for my 1200 loader, and it doesn't actually cover the control valve, just says refer to the tractor manual.
That spec was directly from the parts and owners manual for my 1700 series loader.
Milo

Frank3

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Don't do it. A 0-2000PSI dampened gauge is ~$20.00, a couple adapter fittings ~$5.00. Anything else is just guessing and hoping :)
That's my .02

Milo
Ok, gauge and fittings are in route. Will do it the right way. I am going to add the gauge inline (tee) with the loader up circuit at the exit of the control valve. I'll set the pressure relief valve by dead heading the loader up movement. Using the pressure gauge will ensure I don't over pressurize the circuit.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know how it works out...