zd331 sputters and smokes when PTO engaged

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I've had this zd331 for a little over a year now, bought used with 650 hours on it and love it. Ran it all summer through thick grass and had no issues. Recently, when under load (PTO on) it will suddenly run rough and smoke a bit. It does not happen immediately, sometimes after 5 minutes or so. Like it is not firing on a cylinder if I had to guess.

If I turn off the PTO it runs normal, then may or may not do it again when the PTO is back on. It happened a few times the other day then eventually ran fine with zero issues.

The fuel tanks are always topped off at the end of the day with good diesel, does this sound like a fuel issue or mechanical issue? Any ideas where to start first?

Thanks!
Steve

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Sounds to me that something is binding the PTO. Check to make sure that nothing is wrapped around the blades. It happen to me twice today while mowing two acres. Wrapped a strap one time and a plastic bag the other. Both were well buried in the tall grass. Other than that, if it only does it when the PTO is engaged, it could be a gear box failure. Check the oil in the gear box. Don't ask me how I know this.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm quite a bit more familiar with gas engines, this ZD and my L3800 are my first diesels. Still learning the differences.

Would water in the fuel cause intermittent sputtering? Assuming the filter is in a clear housing like my L3800, would water be visible? This all happened late last night so I have not had a chance to check out anything. I had checked the gear box maybe a week ago when I was lubing everything, will check again.

Steve

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Water in fuel can cause intermittent issue. Usually on the fuel tanks, they don't pick up directly off the bottom to allow for a little sediment and such. So it may run fine till the fuel starts sloshing around and starts mixing what ever is on the bottom of the tank with the fuel. Then it will start spitting and sputtering.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes water, gasoline, or other contaminates can all cause it to miss and sputter.
Sometimes you can see the water in the separator bowl and some times you can't, best to pull it and check it out.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I ran home over lunch, looks like there are 3 filters. The fuel line passes through a semiclear canister, then 3-4" down passes through a metal canister and then another 3-4" passes through another semiclear canister.

The first canister may have a layer of darkish fluid in it- the diesel I use is from the gas station and is not dyed. I'll start there.

If I separate the fuel filter(s) do I need to clamp the line? Also, I imagine I will have to learn how to bleed the air out sooner or later, guess it will be sooner.

Thanks for the help!

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Update- replaced the two plastic inline filters. Both had quite a bit of debris, apparently there was a restriction to some degree. Put in the new ones and bled out the air.

Zero problems now. I am now adding a small bit of Stanydine (or however it is spelled) treatment to remove water and add a bit of lubrication just to be safe.

Really glad it was not more complicated, thank you to all that replied.
Steve