Which Rotary Mower to buy for a B2920?

Brushridge

Equipment
B2920 HST with LA364FL and BH65
Mar 22, 2011
Fleischmanns, NY
I recently purchased a new B2920 with a FEL and Backhoe...I only have a few hours on it and I'm already looking for a used 3 pt rear rotary mower...The engine HP is rated at 29 and the PTO HP is rated at 21...Is there a particular brand/model/size I should be looking for? I can't afford a new one at this point and will not be using it more than a few hours per month clearing brush on my property...I would like to find something that will work well with my machine and cost under $500...Any ideas are appreciated...Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd hate to be the one to bring bad news but your going to have one helluva time trying to find any make model rotary mower for under 500 bucks used thats half way worth using. I'm a Craigslist attack and I've seen several used rotarty mowers for for close to or just under 500 bucks. But all needed some sort of major repair, weather it was welding on some steel to patch a hole or to a brand new gear box.

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
i bought a 48" Walco for 600 dollars about a year ago and changed the gearbox fluid and ran a grinder over the blade and it worked pretty good. It is probably ten years old and it is faded and dirty and needs paint touch ups but I doubt that it has been used more that a 100 hours. I have a 2620 and the tractor handled the cutter pretty well. I suggest that you bide your time and keep an eye on the ads and you may get lucky. I only intend to use mine 15 to 20 hours this year at the most.

Ed

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You can most likely handle a 5' cutter. My 3000 does fine with a 5'. In real heavy grass it will bog down but normal conditions is just fine. You really get what you pay for. I would try to get a Bushhog brand or one of the other well built cutters. Even though the price is tempting on the off brand stuff it will bite you in the end. They don't cut as good and are rarely ever built very heavy. It doesn't take but one breakdown and you're in the hole. I see good cutters advertised around here that are priced right. I'm sure you can find one in your area.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I recently purchased the B2920 as well. Great machine. I was also in the market for a rotary mower and I guess it all depends on the market where you live. There are several for under 500 in great working condition. Definitley not new but in no need for repairs. The mower may be a tad older and need a paint job but they get the job done.

As far as size I have to throw this out there. I got my hands on a free loner 6' land pride rotary mower. YES 6 FOOT. I was amazed it worked. Before anyone bashes me on it being to big or heavy etc. I am not one to abuse my tools or equipment and I maintain everything to the best of my ability.

On the other the tractor spun this baby with ease and never bogged down. I was in a pinch and had to clear the front of my property (approx. 1/2 acre of tall grass and 6' picker bushes) Chewed it up like nothing and held the weight beautifully. Just take your time and go slow and it will work.

Now if this is an item to be used all the time I recommend no bigger then a 5 footer which the machine will most likely handle better. I was basically at a crawl when cutting down the neighbors lot with 4' tall grass. Its still worked well I just went at turtle speed to get my desired results.

However I WILL be getting a 5' rotary mower soon.

Alloy Snake

Equipment
L4240,Lowry 6 foot mower,6 foot tiller
May 16, 2011
Jacksonville,FL
I ended up with a Lowery/Andy mower which has served me well so far and the price is in your range new.The 5 footer HD should be under $700.00,My 6 footer was $760.00.I didnt want a super heavy mower because I use it to mow around a pond and extra weight would have been a negative.