kubota bx 25

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
looking to buy new Kubota tractor for yard work and to take to the woods. We mow about 5 acres of lawn currently with a 22hp lawn tractor and takes a long time and lots of fuel. We cut about 6 cord of fire wood and haul out in stove wood length. The bx25 may fit the bill but we would need to build a skid plate for the woods. If we buy a larger tractor we lose the mid pto that would be needed for a mid mount mower. Any advise would be appreciated.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you go with a bigger tractor, you can always get a 3ph finish mower. You can't get quite as close to objects. but if it's wide open area you can cover a lot more ground quicker. With a bigger hp tractor you should be able to step up to a 6 ft finish mower. My 60" finisher mower cut my mowing down by an hour on two acres.
Takes about 1 hour per acre with the 60" finish mower. With a lot of trees to dodge. Takes less time in my back yard where it's more open, with less trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK are you planning on doing a lot of BH or FEL work or just once in a while?
The BX series is a serious little tractor, and you will be impressed with it AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER, it is a little tractor. You mention cutting and hauling wood, how big yeah you need some kind of a lift for long stubs, but it will pull them or use a small trailer like I do with this machine you can pick and choose your way through the brush.
Now a skid plate aint no big thang at all, there are commercial units you can buy, and there are several builds in here on skid plates, my self I used a (coffcoff )old street sign I found laying along the road some place and made the bends using a piece of angle iron a couple of C clamps and the edge of the work bench,, it aint pretty but it do work!

Mowing well I do about 5 here as well, and it mostly all hill, and when I started there was a ton of wild grapes, blackberries and wild roses, it preformed admirably! The BX is a very nimble LITTLE tractor with power to spare you will run out of traction long before you run out of power

Fuel wise it sips diesel, and don't suck gas, I had one of them never again!! For what you have described I don't think you would go wrong,, this is just MHO you understand I have one and love the thing

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
The comments I have is the backhoe is a pretty expensive option IF you don't really need it. If you would use it more than once in a blue moon, then fine. The other thing is that the BX bucket really isn't very big. If you plan on hauling wood in the bucket, you will make quite a few trips.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I like the BX it's a very nice little machine. I was checking one out at a dealer a few weeks ago and really liked the tractor except the price... A bx 26 wasn't far off from a b2920, comparable in power, but not in size, stability, and overall capabilities. If your looking for a small tractor, the BX is an excellent choice. Kubota also has some big discounts on the new L series which brings the price close to a B...:rolleyes:

I'm always looking at used kubotas, how their priced, and how long they stay up for sale. I see all models of all different years but the number one kubota I see for sale is the BX. A lot of the BX adds will say....selling to buy a bigger tractor. They are the perfect size for a home owner, but I think a lot of homeowners sell their BX because it's too much for what they need. Who knows... One thing I notice is the used BXs seem to priced for less than half of the new price, where larger tractors will be priced around 25% less than new. Some ask for more but they stay for sale for a very long time. Saw a BX26 with a loader for sale in Vermont for $8500 with super low hours....

NS kubota

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well we just visited our local Kubota dealer. After talking to the sales rep and checking out the tractors on the lot it looks like the L series fits the bill we just have to decide between the 2501, 3301, or the 3901. the new 2501 is about 5k cheaper than the 3901 but less hp going to have to figure out what kind of equipment we want to run. Need to try out the shuttle shift model and the hst model as the hydro model is better suited for loader work to still have 1 hand left to steer. we have heard from lots of tractor owners that hydrostatic is not well suited for the woods although we only go to the woods between jan-mar each year and the odd time the rest of the year. Since this tractor will mainly be used by my dad who is in his late 60's hydro may be easier for him to use although the fiat 45-66 that we used owned by my cousin was shuttle shift.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Your latest post is right on. I have mowed 5 acre areas and have done a lot of logging and fire wood stuff. I have a BX with mid mount mower and larger tractors with MMM and rear mowers. If I were in your shoes, I'd forget the BX and go with anything larger, for sure with loader. You won't be disappointed as may occur with the BX. It's just too small and has too many limitations for what you have. Time will tell that you will want to do things like load stuff on to a high bed truck, tow a stuck truck, clear big drifts, grade some gravel, etc.

NS kubota

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Your latest post is right on. I have mowed 5 acre areas and have done a lot of logging and fire wood stuff. I have a BX with mid mount mower and larger tractors with MMM and rear mowers. If I were in your shoes, I'd forget the BX and go with anything larger, for sure with loader. You won't be disappointed as may occur with the BX. It's just too small and has too many limitations for what you have. Time will tell that you will want to do things like load stuff on to a high bed truck, tow a stuck truck, clear big drifts, grade some gravel, etc.
Thanks crelawson you are correct as others have said the bx is a great tractor but not good for larger work, we live a rural area and can be called on from time to time to help out a neighbor who is stuck and needs a tow or needs some snow cleared, this tractor is up for the task.