cut me some fire wood FAST

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
KILLER!!!

Sounds like it runs off a little diesel tractor motor. That there is a money-maker!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Little too manual, little too slow, but.. Killer design with the splitter head movable you maximize the efficiency of the splits. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Nice idea for a small business and with straight grained stuff like oak. However, for an average Joe, quite an investment and bulky thing to have around. In my experience even high powered splitters now and then meet a log that does not split and sticks on the wedge, such as stringy elm. Imagine the grief of removing a stuck log jammed in the wedges.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
. . . . Imagine the grief of removing a stuck log jammed in the wedges.
An acquaintance of mine has a large processor that is 90+% automated. He made a couple different plates with 3" solid round steel welded to them. It a log gets stuck in the wedges, he puts the appropriate adapter over the ram head and uses the full power of the ram on the offending piece.:D The processor has always won the battle.;):cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
At first glance, thought he was splitting Beech - I hate beech, but it burns good. Look to cut/split that stuff.

But it's obviously European or Russian??

It kinda looks likes like an Ash, but I think he's spitting Spruce. Many places, softwoods are used for firewood, including our Canadian neighbors. Damn near push the stuff through a PlayDoh mold.

He tore through a good start on a "face-cord" in short order. (Remember, softwoods are generally measured in full-cords of 4x4x8. Easterners in the U.S. measure hardwood firewood in face-cords; 16"x4x8 is common)

Love to see that Puppy tackle some good 'ole New York Sugar Maple or Shellbark Hickory!:p

Slow cycle or not, wouldn't look so easy! There might be more bending metal than splitting wood.:eek:

I doubt it would push it at all.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
These woods,"good 'ole New York Sugar Maple or Shellbark Hickory" are like bubble gum compared to Osage Orange (bodark)! We use it for post also. Those post will last past the installer's lifetime no matter what the age. They do not rot.

Many of the splitters built will have a difficult time with a Hedge tree, especially if it's been thru a tornado to put a good twist in it at a yoke.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
These woods,"good 'ole New York Sugar Maple or Shellbark Hickory" are like bubble gum compared to Osage Orange (bodark)! We use it for post also.
I remember Osage Orange from Forestry School, and its use for posts. Don't remember much else about it, other than its tough stuff!:D

Around here, Black Locust is the sought-after tree for fence posts. I was going to make a killing selling posts when I was 20 or so. I could cut/split a hell of a bunch of wood back then. Locust posts....not so much. Cutting was easy, splitting was a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY. File that as "lesson learned.";)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We have some locust posts round here that are at least 100 years old still holding fence

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sweet gum trees,, you don't split them, you tear them into.
We have just a little Sweet Gum up here, not sure if same species. Not much to run into cutting firewood.

If I do run into one, I think I'll skip it after that testimonial!:eek::eek: