Adding liquid ballast: Tube or Tube-less

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I have a M4800 that I just bought and it doesn't have liquid in rear tires. I want to add liquid ballast but not sure if I should have tubes added or not. The cost w/o tubes is $170 and with tubes $388 for both rears. Is it worth the difference?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you use beet juice (brand name rim guard) or RV antifreeze then no.
All others, and especially calcium chloride, I would say yes, way cheaper to by tubes than it is to by tires and rims! ;)
Why do I cay tires and rims because it usually rusts and ruins both! :(

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
If you use beet juice (brand name rim guard) or RV antifreeze then no.
All others, and especially calcium chloride, I would say yes, way cheaper to by tubes than it is to by tires and rims! ;)
Why do I cay tires and rims because it usually rusts and ruins both! :(
DITTO THAT!
Rim Guard brand fill is the only thing that won't cause damage to the tire rim combo that I know of period. Nasty nasty stuff smells like pig $hit but doesn't harm a thing on a tractor.
Al

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a M4800 that I just bought and it doesn't have liquid in rear tires. I want to add liquid ballast but not sure if I should have tubes added or not. The cost w/o tubes is $170 and with tubes $388 for both rears. Is it worth the difference?
I have seen the RV antifreeze on sale for about 3 bucks a gallon, I think you could cut that 50-50 and still not freeze unless it got real low in temps. Most I have seen is -30 to -50 mix, I bought the filling thingy to do mine on my B7100 - but havent had the time ( ok - too lazy to do it yet! :eek:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup antifreeze cut it 50/50 and down in Tn you will be good to go

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
What are you having put in your tires and who is doing it for you?

I live about 8 miles west of you. I already have the tool to fill tractor tires if you want to borrow it and save some cash.

Good luck.

And welcome!

Last edited:

jeffb

Equipment
2010 Grand L5740 HST, LP RCF2072, JD Z810 54"
Oct 28, 2014
Monett, MO
Yup antifreeze cut it 50/50 and down in Tn you will be good to go
Was reading and will post my recent experience and mix.

Just cut a tire with glass this weekend brush hogging and ruined tube. Dealer told me they would return my mix of 25% Methanol with 75% water (48 gallons total) if they repaired it. Local tire shop recommended by Dealer recovered 90% and refilled rest.

My buddy bought cases of Window Washer Fluid from O'Rielly Automotive and filled his rear tires with a 20 gallon electric sprayer, he did not dilute and I don't know if he had a tube.

Flats suck... $95 repair

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Had Rim Guard put into rear tires.
Dealer recommended tubes due to chance of it leaking between rim and tire.
I had them do it.
Per Rim Guard it was not require but dealer has had customers coming back with leaks. More of a nuisance than anything else.
I figure this is a one time investment.
What is interesting is that sugar beets are a major crop in my area and I was on a beet harvester with farmer friend this fall. Have to give Rim Guard credit for inventing this product...
There is a post on this link on leaking rims.
Use to use a ballast box. Ballasting tires seems easier and keeps the weight low. Makes fel more stable when used.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I had the Coop put in tubes and fill the rear tires with methanol/water; $388. The front end seemed light on a hill so decided to add liquid ballast to the front. Thanks FTG (Al) for offering your equipment to a stranger. Mighty friendly of you. Afer watching a few videos I realized I had most of the equipment needed and purchased the adapter at TSC and RV Antifreeze at Walmart. Job went well today. Pic shows process with my 4-wheeler being used to power the pump. Haven't tried it yet since I just did it today and very messy down here in Tennessee.

Attachments