Implement for stumps

dobiedisco

Equipment
B7100 4wd (sold, seller's remorse), BX2200
Sep 7, 2015
Fort Smith, AR
There are areas of our pasture with a lot of small stumps (1" - 2") that are tearing up my horses' hooves. Any recommendations on implements that will dig these things up? I have a BX2200.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There are areas of our pasture with a lot of small stumps (1" - 2") that are tearing up my horses' hooves. Any recommendations on implements that will dig these things up? I have a BX2200.
What type of trees were there? AND I would think renting a backhoe or small excavator will knock them out, you'll be there a while ....filling in the holes too!:D:)

Last edited:

dobiedisco

Equipment
Sep 7, 2015
Fort Smith, AR
I'm not sure they're all from trees, just weeds on crack for the most part. There's some kind of thorny thing that will grow into a tree, but I can't think of the name right now. Renting may be my best option.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I agree with a small excavator. A subsoiler or some other single pointed implement for the back of a tractor may work.or a breaking plow, but would need a large machine and it would make a mess and a lot of manual labour.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If they are actually small trees that have been cut, but just enough sticking up to be something for the horses to get injured on, I'd rent a stump grinder.

That way you get the problem below grade without tearing up the soil. You can spray the remaining stob with tordon to prevent any further growth.

dobiedisco

Equipment
Sep 7, 2015
Fort Smith, AR
There are at least a couple hundred of various sizes, most probably no larger than 1" thick, just enough to injure a sole. I don't mind the sections getting torn up for a bit if it gets rid of the danged things.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I second the Pirahna Tooth Bar, I have taken out stumps up to 4" with the PTB. Much quicker than a backhoe.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I have and use my stump grinder all the time. I probably have removed over 300 stumps with mine.After having one I'd never be without one.

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
Buddy of mine is an operator for a construction company. His go to for everything is an excavator. I'm clearing for a home site and he is always talking me into renting one. $200 bucks for a Deere 35D w/ 12" and 16" bucket and blade on the front. On a trailer Pick up Saturday morning return Monday morning. It's worth every penny. He uses the bucket to scratch the surface out there for similar situations small 1-3" cut off brush. Then uses the blade to push the debris away. I've also watched him dig out some 12-16" stumps with it. I tend to watch as he is way more efficient than I! Get more of my moneys worth!!!

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Box blade will rip them out. I had a bunch in one of my new food plots and I used my box blade

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
For that size you should be able to rip them out with either a piranha tooth bar, ratchet rake, or similar or with the scarifiers of a box blade. Using a subsoiler then following with a chisel plow, then FEL or box blade would work too.

Are the thorny things honey locust? Those are pretty much a devil plant, but tordon on the stump or brush killer on the leaves will kill them.

If there's any regrowth, let them get several inches high, then spray with brush killer, and knock them out with after at least 2 weeks. Or cut them off with a brush cutter and spray the stump, but don't dig the stump out for a few weeks.

dobiedisco

Equipment
Sep 7, 2015
Fort Smith, AR
For that size you should be able to rip them out with either a piranha tooth bar, ratchet rake, or similar or with the scarifiers of a box blade. Using a subsoiler then following with a chisel plow, then FEL or box blade would work too.

Are the thorny things honey locust? Those are pretty much a devil plant, but tordon on the stump or brush killer on the leaves will kill them.

If there's any regrowth, let them get several inches high, then spray with brush killer, and knock them out with after at least 2 weeks. Or cut them off with a brush cutter and spray the stump, but don't dig the stump out for a few weeks.
That's it, honey locust!