Another clutch problem

farmin

Equipment
Kubota L2000DT
Apr 22, 2014
Monroe, Michigan
After 25 years of abuse mowing thru the swamp, the clutch had slipped enough that the tractor and PTO would almost stop. So this year I decided to replace the disc before trying to use it again. I bought some parts from my local Kubota dealer, but he wasn't exactly the most helpfull with my grey market machine. He was quick to say "make sure you need it, because we don't and nothing can be returned!". I ordered an aftermarket disc online, but it was too small in diameter, so I returned it. I took the disc that was in the machine to a local shop for repair. They send them out for another company to reburbish. After a call to pick up my new disc, I was surprised. A totally new disc had been shipped along with the center hub from the old one, so I could see how worn out the old hub was. I blew out the pressure plate and that "looked good" to me. After installing the new parts (disc, throw out bearing, and a rear main seal), I adjusted the pressure plate as the service manual states when installing a new disc. I started the tractor for a trial run, but couldn't get it in gear. Grinds like crazy. If I start it in gear, no problem. I can go from one gear to another until I put it in neutral, let the clutch out and then try to put it in gear. I have adjusted the pressure plate from one end to the other 1/8th of a turn at a time. I have put a few clutches in vehicals, but never had a problem like this. I'm begining to think that the disc itself is a few thousands too thick. Right now I'm stumped.:confused:

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I was thinking the same thing, too thick.

Is there anything limiting the clutch pedal travel?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it have a clutch pedal rod adjustment? It could be backed off and not engaging the pressure plate fully.
If you start it in gear can you stop it by pressing the clutch pedal and how far do you have to push it down? a little or a lot?

Did you replace the throw-out bearing or pilot bearing?
Did you have the flywheel or pressure plate resurfaced?

If you didn't do all of the above any of those could be causing your problems.

A bad/worn throw-out bearing will not allow the pressure plate to release.
A bad worn pilot bearing will allow the input shaft to bind and keep spinning even with the clutch disengaged.
Groves and valleys on the pressure plate will cause the clutch disk to bind and catch.

farmin

Equipment
Kubota L2000DT
Apr 22, 2014
Monroe, Michigan
Every time I make an adjustment to the pressure plate thru the window in the bell housing, I adjust the linkage at the pedal. The manual calls out 13/16" to 1 3/16" free play in the pedal. I have adjusted the linkage out to the bare minimum of free play (maybe an 1/8") and the results are the same. I had the flywheel resurfaced, but nothing done to the pressure plate. If I start the tractor in gear, everything is perfect. It does not want to move, I can shift from reverse to any gear with no grinding. I can move the tractor under its own power. All goes south as soon as I shift to neutral and release the clutch and then try to put it back into gear. The manual gives a dimension of 2 1/4" from the mounting surface of the pressure plate to the contact surface for the throw out bearing. I did everything by the book, except resurface the pressure plate. It makes no mention of that. My throw out bearing is new and my machine does not have a pilot bearing. There is no place for it and the input shaft is not long enough to contact the flywheel (must be a grey market thing?). I checked the input shaft for a bad bearing before putting it back together. My tractor is a bit different in the PTO area than an equivalent L225 as mine has a 4 speed PTO, so I believe that is why no pilot bearing. I did order one from Kubota to see what came in. No place for it in the flywheel. Again this is not my first rodeo, only with a foreign machine. I have two Case tractors (930 & D), a Farmall M, and a Allis Chalmers B. I've replaced the clutch in the 930, M & B. Never had this problem before. Those only got a disc, nothing more.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll give you the benefit of doubt that your just frustrated and not trying to be rude and insulting, but comments like "Again this is not my first rodeo" can rub some the wrong way!
You know when someone like me from halfway across the U.S. asks questions it's because we don't know what you've done or how you've done it or exactly what you working on and exactly what level your at.

I would say you either have the wrong clutch plate (really hard to tell if they didn't give you back the complete old assembly back), it's binding (can be because it's got a hub installed crooked), or the clutch disk is installed backwards or the hub is installed backwards in the disk (can be because the labeled it wrong) or the synco's in the tranny are shot (but you should have noticed it before even with a badly worn clutch)!

Last edited:

weldnut61

Equipment
3410 HST
Apr 27, 2014
Dallas Ga. UsA
Had a similar problem a few years back with a massey ferguson clutch change. After several frustrating attempts to adjust, fully disassembled it and began to compare old to new parts. Found a small difference in the face to fork mount measurement on the new release bearing. Would not fully release clutch if it was released in neutral. A different brand of release bearing fixed it. Hope this helps.