How big of a catch pan for hyd oil on 3010

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
I am going to change the hyd fluid on my L3010 HST the manual says there are about 4 locations that need draining. What size of a drain pan do I need. The tractor holds about 90 liters, what size of a pan will I need? Obviously if your draining in four places I will not need a 90 liter pan..thanks

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Haven't heard that question posed in that fashion. Use the largest container you can fit beneath each drain plug. Remove filter(s) last to prevent having an even bigger mess.

No idea how much fluid to expect from each drain point. Have sufficient containers available and be prepared to reinstall plug if needed before container fills to brim---for easier handling.

Drain main two first then each transaxle then filters.

Please post back how you make this work so the next reader with this question can learn from your efforts.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Usually what happens with multiple drain plugs is that one will drain out most of the oil. You might need a 90 liter pan or tub for the initial drain point just to be sure there is enough room to avoid spillage.

When doing mine, I use an old pot to dip out the oil into 5 gallon (oops - 20 liter) buckets using a funnel.

After that first drain point slows to a drip then the other plugs will drain out the remainder of the oil from the low spots - like the rear brake housing. A normal 10 liter pan for draining car oil should be enough for the additional drains.

Check to make double sure the 90 liter number is correct. That is more than 22 gallons. My M7040 and L48 TLB "only" take 15 gallons each.

Edit: TractorData has the capacity at 39 L.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/4/1249-kubota-l3010.html

Last edited:

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
My L4310 took just under two pails ( 23 liter pail) of super udt2. When i pulled the main drain plug it ran very slow (did not remover filler cap or filters) and when the container filled it was easy to put the plug back in, emptied the pail and repull the plug. I got about 23 liters from the main drain, then did the other drains.

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
First thing, does not hold 90 liters it holds 40 liters my mistake. I cut the bottom off a 45 gallon plastic drum. I drain the main transmission case and it held about 30 liters, then I drained at the mid pto about 3 liters then each rear wheel to finish it off. The plastic barrel worked excellent and did not spill a drop. Then I syphoned the oil back into the empty containers and did not spill a drop.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
First thing, does not hold 90 liters it holds 40 liters my mistake. I cut the bottom off a 45 gallon plastic drum. I drain the main transmission case and it held about 30 liters, then I drained at the mid pto about 3 liters then each rear wheel to finish it off. The plastic barrel worked excellent and did not spill a drop. Then I syphoned the oil back into the empty containers and did not spill a drop.
Ahhh, success is a wonderful thing. Well done.

Thanks for reporting back.