G2160 Temp Sender Location?

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
I'm getting the oveheat indicator flashing on the front panel after about 20 mins of mowing - but the mower is not obviously overheated. The over heat indicator seems to come on when the coolant at the top of the radiator reaches ~158 deg. I'm wondering if the sendor is bad or if maybe the thermostat isn't opening up completely perhaps leading to higher temps in the engine block than the radiator (or perhaps a blockage in the block).

Does anyone know if the temp sender is measuring the coolant temp and if so where? OR... does the sender measure the engine temp in some other manner? If I knew exactly where the sender is and what it is measuring I could draw some conclusions...

Thanks much for any tips,

Mike

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
Bump... really? No one on this board has any ideas where the temp sender is located or specifically what the overhead light is measuring?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why do you say it's not obviously overheating?
Have you taken a manual temp reading?
While it may not be blowing water out of the radiator overflow it could be overheating internally, and ignoring that could cost you huge if it hasn't already.
The temp sender is under the thermostat housing.
If the water pump is bad, if the thermostat is stuck or if it has a other issues, it could really be overheating.
First thing to do would be to pull the temp sending unit and get a reading on it, you will need to get a service manual to be able to tell what the readings should be for it to be working right.

Temp sensor P/N 16851-83040
$41.15
http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=76684

G2160.JPG

G2160 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
Thank you for your response "Wolfman". This is a big help - as I previously mentioned, the radiator coolent only registers 158 degs when the sender indicates an over-heat situation. Now that I understand where the sender is actually measuring temps at, I can see that it could be measuring higher temps in the engine block than the coolent in the radiator if the thermostat was only partially opening.

Last edited:

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
Just a followup for other's future reference. Yes, the Temp Sensor is located on the right-hand side of the Thermostat housing just below the level of the thermostat. I ordered a new sensor for ~$40. When I screwed out the old one, I noticed that the head of it was short and squared off... the new sensor had a rounded bullet shaped head. I screwed in the new sensor and problem was resolved... ran like a top all summer.

Mike B

Equipment
G1260-RS48, B2100
Jul 7, 2013
Skagit Co. WA
Yep, that's exactly what I did - measured the rad and hosing with an IR Therm and the reading seemed fine. What I can't figure out is how on earth does that sensor get damaged like that - in my case, probably 1/4" of the tip was just gone! I wouldn't think coolent flow could do that...:confused: