Anyone wax their tractor?

tractor boy

Equipment
Kubota B6200D
Aug 23, 2013
Clarkson, NY
Yup, I've put the buffer to the fenders, which I'm not refinishing. Guessing I'm not the only one who's used a clay bar as well?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Buffing huh... I guess if I had a deep scratch that needed it, I probably would.

I did have a few minor scratches that the wax seems to have covered up, but I havent had it out in the sun since I waxed it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You butter glass?:D
Butter or glass neither one covers the amount of slickness or shine by themself so I figured I'd combine the two and get my point across. :D
Maybe I shood have used "owl snot" or "greasy sting out of a cat's ass" for my Va. friends... ;) :D :eek:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Butter or glass neither one covers the amount of slickness or shine by themself so I figured I'd combine the two and get my point across. :D
Maybe I shood have used "owl snot" or "greasy sting out of a cat's ass" for my Va. friends... ;) :D :eek:
Maybe you should have. My mom always says "drier than a popcorn fart". :p

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm glad you guys love your shinny tractors :p, but for me, it just does not register :confused:.

Then again I don't wax my tool box, my welder, compressor, or my impact for that matter.

However, unless in active use they will be clean, everything in it's place, everything working properly (well, not on the tractor yet, but working on it). I guess it mainly depends on which mental box you put things in. My road truck, car, and street bike all get attention with wax, and sometimes clay bar. But that's a different mental box from tractor/implement/toolbox/etc.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess I look at it like this:

Tractors cost more than my truck

Spend more time on the tractors than I do my truck

Tractors make me money, truck cost me money

This is about like a old dog, never bite the hand that feeds you. Forget the truck, lets go polish the tractor.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, they cost a lot, but in my case, no where near what the truck cost. But the truck carries my family on vacations (and emergency trips too), used to haul my rock crawler buggy all over the SW US, and part of it's purpose (for me) is to look good and protect it while doing it. If I had one of those state maps, it would all be colored except the NE and NC US, and several non-stop AZ to AL.

My welder(s), lathe, mill, and many other things are comparable in price to the tractor, but again, I wipe them down, keep them clean and functional, but no wax. Some of my high density storage units cost new over $3k (Vidmar, Lyonn, New Era), and they don't get waxed either. Like I said, different mental boxes. And I grew up on farm land in N AL, so maybe that's part of it too. My grandfather and the rest of those ol' boys would laugh themselves right off their feet if they saw someone waxing a tractor. Truth be told, most didn't wash their trucks either, like tractors, they were tools to be taken care of and used, not pampered. Pressure wash it, keep it clean, sure, but waxing... would never have crossed their minds...

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, and just to be clear, not trying to be argumentative here. I've got friends who think I'm crazy the way I take care of things. I need to work on something, all tools needed go in the carry box/tray/whatever. Need more, add to box. And NOTHING goes directly back in the box, even if I didn't use it. I've got a nice decommissioned hand towel hung on the side of the box. The tray/box goes on a cart nearby, and each tool gets wiped down and put into it's place. If it's pneumatic, it gets a drop or 2 of p-oil and a quick blip before wiping down and putting away. I've even got "patches" used to clean inside sockets. Not only are they clean and ready to go next time I need them, I know just where they are, and if I left something under a hood, it's quickly evident.

On top of that, my off road trucks have everything neatly secured. Wiring harnesses are all stripped of unnecessary "option" wiring, then re-loomed and secured. I also can't abide a leaking vehicle, so the tractor needing a few seals I'm just too overloaded to deal with right now just drives me to distraction.

So I'm no stranger to borderline OCD and other (sometimes) less than optimal use of time vs value. Everyone has their own way, and clearly I'm in the minority on this thread, but just explaining my opinion and thinking...

tractor boy

Equipment
Kubota B6200D
Aug 23, 2013
Clarkson, NY
I can only speak for myself as to why I'd wax my tractor. Suffice to say it's a combination of waxing everything I've ever owned that had wheels going back to my sweet purple metallic Sting Ray and spending many years as a professional detailer. This summer a friend gave me a great little tractor that makes a perfect restoration project and at the same time has been an immense help around the ranch. It deserves to look good.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My last post didn't really tell the truth. I really just love shiny new equipment. I used to wash and wax my Cat loader when I was at the quarry. That was a job, front to back it had lots of paint. I just can't help myself.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
first thing when it was new, i gave my l3200 a good detailing, .... now it needs a paint job, before any wax/polish will be of any use....
pushing brush, logging and general moving of land.... cleaning up after a wildfire.... it has been used and worked hard... it will deserve a freshening when the job is completed...

moondog933

Equipment
M7040,Landpride Cutter RCF 2784,FEL LA 1153,FORKS PFL 3048,John Deere MX10
Jul 26, 2013
oberlin, la.
Call me Krazy but I wash and wax my tractor and vacuum the inside, wipe the windows and armorall the interior. All While listening to my radio I might add. I am also thinking of putting window tint in the cab windows. Looking for the fur dice now !!! I also pressure wash my implements top and bottom and give everything a good greasing before leaving for my 35 days of work outside the country.
I believe that is one reason I got $18,000 for my 6 year old L3420 with backhoe attachment and FEL on my recent trade in for this M7040 !! :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Call me Krazy but I wash and wax my tractor and vacuum the inside, wipe the windows and armorall the interior. All While listening to my radio I might add. I am also thinking of putting window tint in the cab windows. Looking for the fur dice now !!! I also pressure wash my implements top and bottom and give everything a good greasing before leaving for my 35 days of work outside the country.
I believe that is one reason I got $18,000 for my 6 year old L3420 with backhoe attachment and FEL on my recent trade in for this M7040 !! :)
I've always believed in preventative maintenance and care, and also experienced high resale value because of how I take care of my equipment. I usually have someone waiting to buy what I'm selling, because they know it's been cared for.

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
Wow, coming up on 7 pages of waxed / non-waxed tractors.

My dad always taught me to keep a reasonable amount of care for the painted surfaces, but take exceptional care of the mechanicals. So when mine gets dirty after mowing the meadows, it gets broomed off before it's put away in the barn. Gives us both a chance to cool off a bit. Typically after a day of mowing, I'm a little too tired to do much else...

Like the tractor I sold for it, it'll get everything washed off and out thoroughly every so often, usually mid-summer, or if I notice any stuff building up anywhere. I might pull out the Zymol and go over it if I'm feeling really ambitious and it's been awhile. It's a tractor, so it's maybe a bit more for me than for it. I echo what's already been said that it's much more pleasant to work on a reasonably clean machine.