b2920 PTO loud chtter

stilt2k

Equipment
kubota 2920
Apr 23, 2014
oak ridge tn
I have a 06 B2920 with 220 hours on it I bought I used last fall with 200 on it I have done a full service on it when I picked it up I was tilling with it this weekend and I noticed I loud chatter when tilling when I lift up it still has the chatter unless their is no load or the 3 point is only half way up has someone had the same issue and if so any thing would help note this is the first time I have used the rear PTO the mid PTO does fine no noise when I mowed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your getting the sound one implement and not another, it's most likely the implement and not the tractor.

I would check out the PTO shaft U-joints, that will pass sound through to the tractor easily!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Do everything you can to minimize the angle of the PTO/implement shaft. If you can move the implement mount pins to get it farther from the tractor this will help. You can also possibly alter the length of the top link. I agree with Wolfman that this sounds like a U-joint issue. As the shaft turns, the tiller is alternately speeding up and slowing down. It can cause a racket in the drive line of the tiller, either in chain drive tension snapping, or gear drive backlash. It will get worse when the shaft angle is pronounced, either up or down. Think about the way a 4WD pickup lurches when you are on dry concrete in 4WD and turn sharply.
It is highly unlikely there is a problem with the tractor PTO.

Last edited:

stilt2k

Equipment
kubota 2920
Apr 23, 2014
oak ridge tn
Thanks for the info I put the tiller on the other tractor witch is a lot bigger with no cutter but I very slight but on my kubota the pto shaft is all the way in but the chatter comes and goes and it's flows all out through the transmission

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
but on my kubota the pto shaft is all the way in
If the shaft is bottoming out because its too long, that will cause it to make noise as it can't flex properly.

Last edited: