L3800 PTO Rattle/Noise

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
It's hard to describe a sound but I have a rattle or slight ticking when the pto is engaged. I can only hear it at very low at low RPM's. It's coming from around or below the PTO area. I know this is vague but does anyone else have a similar sound at idle when the PTO is engaged?

I stopped by and asked the guy at the parts counter at my local Kubota dealer,the one I bought my tractor from, and he said it was normal.

I did use a 6ft finish mower and a 6ft tiller for about 3 hours yesterday with no problems.

Any info would be appreciated, just want to make sure I'm not causing any unnecessary damage to my tractor.

Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Might try going back to the dealer and demo another model just like yours and see for yourself if it really does make the same noise you are hearing. If not them I would take your tractor back to the dealer and make them listen to it in person. Sometimes you just have to take it to the next level yourself so they will listen to what you're saying.

No matter what your experience level some dealers will just say "it's normal" just to get you out of their hair. I've been there myself with a bushhog I bought years ago. It would shake you out of the seat and the dealer said it was normal. Long story short I had to get Bushhog involved before the dealer would fix it.

Bottom line, don't just assume they're right. It's under warranty so if you have a problem it needs fixed on their dime not yours.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Might try going back to the dealer and demo another model just like yours and see for yourself if it really does make the same noise you are hearing. If not them I would take your tractor back to the dealer and make them listen to it in person. Sometimes you just have to take it to the next level yourself so they will listen to what you're saying.

No matter what your experience level some dealers will just say "it's normal" just to get you out of their hair. I've been there myself with a bushhog I bought years ago. It would shake you out of the seat and the dealer said it was normal. Long story short I had to get Bushhog involved before the dealer would fix it.

Bottom line, don't just assume they're right. It's under warranty so if you have a problem it needs fixed on their dime not yours.
Thanks for the reply, I did look to see if they had another tractor like mine or the L3400 on hand but they did not. A coworker of mine has a friend with the same model and I'm going to listen to his on Thursday or Friday.

I try to never assume and it did come across as them trying to get me out of their hair, that's why I thought I would ask the fine gents in here their opinion.

Thanks again, ill keep you posted on what I find out.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Maybe your dealer was right and it's just something with that model tractor. Either way if I was in your shoes I would want to be sure before something breaks. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
My L3800 dt makes no rattle or ticking noise when pto is engaged. Find a new dealer and get another diagnosis.
Thanks for the reply, there is another dealer that I'll try and get by as soon as i can.

A I said, you can only hear it at very low rpm. Also I should be able to listen to another model tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Funny side note, I recorded a video with my phone trying to capture the sound and I couldn't hear it when I watched/listened to it, go figure.

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
I've noticed my 3800HST has a rattle when the PTO is engaged at low RPM with no load. Goes away when RPM's are increased and don't hear it when mower is hooked up.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I've noticed my 3800HST has a rattle when the PTO is engaged at low RPM with no load. Goes away when RPM's are increased and don't hear it when mower is hooked up.
Thanks, that's exactly the same situation I have. Ill keep you posted with any addition information I get.

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
My L3800 HST is similar.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Mine does not do it, but it's a gear drive. Must be a HST thing?
Not that I want to get into a HST VS Gear debate, but it does appear to be something to that, according to the responses so far.

Thanks

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Not that I want to get into a HST VS Gear debate, but it does appear to be something to that, according to the responses so far.

Thanks
Yeah, the gear model has a 2 stag clutch and a different type of pto engagement. But other than that I don't know...

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
It's because the HST has the over run thing it's what's making the noise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I stopped by a coworkers friends house after work yesterday and his L3800 with only 8hrs on it makes the same noise as mine.

Ford man says it's the over run thing, still curious what that is exactly.

Anyway thanks Mike!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That over run thing in simple terms means that when you have a pto driven implement on the tractor and stop the implement won't keep pushing you until it stops turning.

Back in the day you had to plan ahead when you needed to stop. It was not uncommon to push the clutch in and the tractor go another 10' or 15' before stopping. You didn't just run up to a bank or head in to a tree and stop, it just didn't work that way. That little over run thing made our lives much safer and easier.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
That over run thing in simple terms means that when you have a pto driven implement on the tractor and stop the implement won't keep pushing you until it stops turning.

Back in the day you had to plan ahead when you needed to stop. It was not uncommon to push the clutch in and the tractor go another 10' or 15' before stopping. You didn't just run up to a bank or head in to a tree and stop, it just didn't work that way. That little over run thing made our lives much safer and easier.
I gotcha, thanks for the info!

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Ya the L3800 has over run thingy . And it's where the noise is its a two piece thing and it meshes together and at low rpm it's lose so it rattles .