L2850 power steering issue

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
Hi,
I have a mid 80's L2850 with front end loader.. the steering has become increasingly hard... the loader is not on the tractor now.
and it seems as time goes on the steering is getting harder and harder. There is plenty of hydro oil ( is between the lines on the sight glass actually near top line)
also at higher travel speed the right front (as you sit in the seat) wheel wants to start to wobble ( turn in and out) but at slower speeds its fine.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

TTD

Sep 9, 2013
FROSTPROOF, FL, USA
Let's try the cheap fixes first...thoroughly grease your front end, don't just zap the grease zerks with a few hits of grease, make sure to push all the old, dirty grease out and watch for your grease to follow, then stop. A lot of times people just give them zerks a few shots and that's not the proper method. Check your tie rod ends for too much free play, dirt and sand wear out these ends and cause them to become too loose, causing your wheel to wobble left n right. Check your wheel hub bearings, they might need replacement, jack the tractor up and grab your wheel from top to bottom and wiggle it to check for excessive end play. Check this stuff first, then we'll start getting more technical.

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
ok.. will try that...also I will add there are no oil leaks on the the front axle... and yes there is oil in it :D

also yes we have dirt and sand here.. no rocks.. and one other thing that is quite nasty to tractors... chicken manure. My tractors are used in chicken houses regularly.

texasgeezer

Equipment
l2250dt
Nov 10, 2011
pottsboro tx usa
Not an expert or mechanic, but my L2250DT, I believe has the same type pump.

My problem was the hydraulic pump ( very common problem ). The pump has a shaft that frequently breaks due to bushing friction & cracking. This shaft connects two sets of gears for hydraulic pressure. One set is for the power steering. Luckily when I ordered my 'used' replacement I got a later model pump that has a better shaft.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/member.php?u=2 This member (service dept vic) & others have posted detailed information about it.

If you search for "power steering pump rebuild" it will bring up several threads.

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
there is one more issue .. I didn't think was related... but now that I think of it it could be... it also has a FEL ... and in the last couple years the arms when up will sink down I was thinking maybe a bad cylinder seal or a valve issue...

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
Update on the PS.... I am thinking that it might be the hydro pump.... because now the lift arms will not go up... or they will jump a bit up and stay and eventually go up... but but on the whole they are un responsive to raising.... is there a way to test the pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your L2850 is a GST isn't it?
My #1 suggestion would be to get the service manual.
it will walk you threw troubleshooting the issue.
You have a very complicated hydraulic system on that tractor, it also has a 2 stage pump setup.
if your having problems with both the steering and the 3 point I wouldn't think it's a pump output issue as steering and transmission shifts are on one pump and 3 point and remote hydralic power is on another pump.

But with reading about all your issues, one thing comes to mind, it sound like it's sucking air into the system. If you suck in air that that would explain the loader, three point, and steering issues! There is a rubber hose that feeds the pumps and an O-ring or two, if any of those were to be leaking it would be an issue. also it has 2 hydraulic filters, I would change both of those too!

There is not a free download manual to be found, and the only sale one I've ran across isn't cheep, but the cost of it might save you 100 times as much, example is one of the valves that controls the system is over $1200.00 alone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-Trac...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item27e1acfd7a

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
Your L2850 is a GST isn't it?
My #1 suggestion would be to get the service manual.
it will walk you threw troubleshooting the issue.
You have a very complicated hydraulic system on that tractor, it also has a 2 stage pump setup.
if your having problems with both the steering and the 3 point I wouldn't think it's a pump output issue as steering and transmission shifts are on one pump and 3 point and remote hydralic power is on another pump.

But with reading about all your issues, one thing comes to mind, it sound like it's sucking air into the system. If you suck in air that that would explain the loader, three point, and steering issues! There is a rubber hose that feeds the pumps and an O-ring or two, if any of those were to be leaking it would be an issue. also it has 2 hydraulic filters, I would change both of those too!

There is not a free download manual to be found, and the only sale one I've ran across isn't cheep, but the cost of it might save you 100 times as much, example is one of the valves that controls the system is over $1200.00 alone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-Trac...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item27e1acfd7a
No it is not a GST its a standard L2850 DT with 4 on the column and hi lo range. with a FEL attachment and I did have that book... I had it on the computer .scanned... but its on the computer that is not working... so guess I have to hunt for the book archive I try to scan all my books to PDF.s makes them easier to find sometimes.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just pulled the parts setup on a DT with PS and it still has a 2 stage pump.
and I still stick with my thought of it sucking air.
You could get a pressure gauge to test the PS pump system but with the PS setup piped the way it is it's extremely difficult to get the adapter to tie it in, it uses banjo bolts.
You could test the main stage pump with a Gauge as you could connect that gauge into the diverter block on the side of the frame and get good readings.

You could pull the PS return line and check flow there, you won't be able to test pressure, but if it's foamy then 100% it's pulling in air.

First picture shows in yellow where it could be pulling in air.
Second picture shows return on the PS. pull the line off side of filter housing plug that side and put open line into bucket and check for foamy fluid, or lack of fluid flow.

L2850 suction line.JPG

L2850 PS return line.JPG

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
one more thing... I just tried .. with the 3pth arms... when lever lifted the would not move.. so I pushed down on them .. I heard the pump whine kick in and felt the jerkeyness in it... I checked the fluid level again and it is between the marks in the sight glass...
before when I had the FEL on it... it seemed it was getting slower ... ( last year) and the arms would drop actually noticeably on their own...and it was really hard to steer with the FEL on ... it was better without it... but now its hard unless moving. there is the short hose that is hooked back to the diverter block where the FEL attaches I am guessing they used a hose instead of turning the valve on the block.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Every thing your saying sounds line air in the system, I'm not ruling out pump seals and any other problem, but a leak on the intake pipe sounds more like it and would effect everything.
On the back side of the intake pipe to the pump can rub and make a small hole that will pull in air as will the rubber coupling hose.

Can you post pictures of the diverter block FEL hook up?

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
that makes sense... I will look at it next couple days...I was wondering if that hose on the suction side may have a hole... but would it not leak? unless its above the oil level... or only a leak that would develop when suction is applied... the hose is a heck of a lot cheaper than the pump...

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
looked at the ps pump yesterday... well at the short rubber hose on the suction side looks like it will be 'fun' to replace.. it is original to the tractor... I am guessing I will have to unbolt the steel suction tube from the back of the transmission housing which will necessitate draining the oil... not what I want to do... but if I have to .. I have to... I believe that and the PS return hose are the only 2 original rubber hoses on the tractor... several years ago I replaced all the fuel hoses and rad hoses. I did not want leaking diesel fuel or a fire.

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
well did a little work on the 2850 over the weekend... pulled the hydro filter after running it and trying power steering and the 3pth... the filter was full and no air bubbles... checked the rubber hose on the return no visible signs of leaks ... dumped out filter did not see anything amiss in there... oil is kinda dark for hydro but not bad... filled filter up with fresh oil put it back on and it would not prime .. not like it used to it used to have no problem with priming.. now it ***finally*** got oil back circulating... but when under load ( like me standing on 3pth arm while it trying to raise) pump makes a nasty racket... whining grinding clicking kind of noise and some metallic noise as well... and the PS does not work... and the 3pth rises about as fast as a glacier moves....hydro also does not have much pressure on it... on the loader hose you can press the ball in on the bypass hose while running and get fluid out... I am fairly certain the pump is shot.
when I change the pump I am going to change the PS return hose and the sump suction hose... any other hoses? of course new filter and oil too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do believe that will do it.
Get the pump tested, mine makes a lot of noise when it sucks in air and won't prime.
You won't get a leak on the hose, it's not a return hose it's a suction hose so as it builds suction, it will pull air in.

jkebxjunke

Sep 9, 2013
Delaware
Well took the pump off today... and it turns by hand easily... too easily and with oil in it and my thumb over the suction side it will suck.. a little but not very much or strong... pulled the bearing and gear out of the gear drive on the the engine side... gear looks fine looks like normal wear for almost 30 yrs ( not much but you could see where the teeth mesh) no chipped or broken teeth... the more I think about it the tractor has always had a FEL on it... so that pump was worked hard... probably just wore out. not time for it but going to go ahead and change the filters and hydro fluid too and the PS return hose and the suction side hose too

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That pump is a 2 stage pump and one stage runs the FEL and 3 point and or remotes, while the other stage runs the PS, it's possible that only one stage is worn.
But if you want to just change it all out for a new pump, send me the old pump, I'll put it to good use. :D