Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks all! :D

BadDog,
It does help that I have the motivation of a ton of snow headed my way!:eek:
I'm shooting for another next year, I want an M next year with a cab!;)

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Jolly good job, old chap! (to continue the theme of our previous thread):D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You mentioned on your initial post that it had over sized front tires and rims. I don't know if that tractor is the 4 wheel drive one or not but if it is, you may want to change the front tires back to the original size. The mis-matched sized tires will put a lot of additional strain on the transmission and drive train.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
armylifer,
It has over sized front and rear, wider yet shorter than stock tires on it!;)
First thing I did was check RC on stock ( 7-16 front and 12.4-24 rear for an 1.53409 ratio ) to the set up now, ( 27x8.5-15 R4's front and 13.50-16.1 Rear for a 1.56962 ratio ) well within range.

This arrangement of tires is the same or very close to Turf Tires that came stock on it.

Thanks for thinking of it though!:cool:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I felt I needed to revisit this thread again.
I spent the winter moving snow, spring moving mud, and summer moving trees and stumps. All the while the transmission got worse and worse to shift forward to reverse, slow to get it moving when it was cold, and I lost the 4 lower gears.
I've been back into the side cover 3 times trying to find the elusive bad part only to draw a blank every time.
Testing a GST transmission is loads of fun (NOT) and every time the tests said nothing was wrong with the transmission. :mad:
Well when I rebuilt it the last time I went threw every single part except the hydraulic clutch, I was told it was new.
So wrenches started flying and apart it came, just to get to the clutch and check it all out.
Well upon disassembly yep the clutch disks are in perfect condition, spec'ed out as new thickness and they are not worn at all, dove a little deeper and BAM there it was the whole problem all along the piston seal on the hydraulic clutch was all torn up, I'm amazed it has ever moved, literally chucks missing out of it!
Looks like the mechanic put a new clutch pack in it and never even went into the piston.
The original owner had complained to the dealer that it felt like it was slipping, they tore it down 3 times and the last time broke a ton of parts trying to put it back together (read the beginning if you haven't yet).
Stupid me assumed that they had gone completely through the clutch or at least just replace the whole thing so I had disregarded it as a potential problem all along, Ugg! :eek:
Well I noticed that the shuttle gear has some bad wear, I think it was caused by the clutch pack not working properly, so I'm going to change that out while I'm in there. The dang gear I need is not cheap, $650 for one gear, OUCH! Oh well got to get it done.

Well I figured while it was down for the tranny I would multi task and replace the front gear case cover on the motor, it was damaged this winter by a cheap rebuild water pump and has been held together with some Epoxy putty. I've had the cover and all the gaskets, parts for a full service, new hoses, block heater and other replacement parts, so good time to do it all.
Poor tractor all tore down!:(

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well I felt I needed to revisit this thread again.
I spent the winter moving snow, spring moving mud, and summer moving trees and stumps. All the while the transmission got worse and worse to shift forward to reverse, slow to get it moving when it was cold, and I lost the 4 lower gears.
I've been back into the side cover 3 times trying to find the elusive bad part only to draw a blank every time.
Testing a GST transmission is loads of fun (NOT) and every time the tests said nothing was wrong with the transmission. :mad:
Well when I rebuilt it the last time I went threw every single part except the hydraulic clutch, I was told it was new.
So wrenches started flying and apart it came, just to get to the clutch and check it all out.
Well upon disassembly yep the clutch disks are in perfect condition, spec'ed out as new thickness and they are not worn at all, dove a little deeper and BAM there it was the whole problem all along the piston seal on the hydraulic clutch was all torn up, I'm amazed it has ever moved, literally chucks missing out of it!
Looks like the mechanic put a new clutch pack in it and never even went into the piston.
The original owner had complained to the dealer that it felt like it was slipping, they tore it down 3 times and the last time broke a ton of parts trying to put it back together (read the beginning if you haven't yet).
Stupid me assumed that they had gone completely through the clutch or at least just replace the whole thing so I had disregarded it as a potential problem all along, Ugg! :eek:
Well I noticed that the shuttle gear has some bad wear, I think it was caused by the clutch pack not working properly, so I'm going to change that out while I'm in there. The dang gear I need is not cheap, $650 for one gear, OUCH! Oh well got to get it done.

Well I figured while it was down for the tranny I would multi task and replace the front gear case cover on the motor, it was damaged this winter by a cheap rebuild water pump and has been held together with some Epoxy putty. I've had the cover and all the gaskets, parts for a full service, new hoses, block heater and other replacement parts, so good time to do it all.
Poor tractor all tore down!:(

Dayum man, I think I would have to shed a tear or two on that !!!:(

But I am sure that even with the little set back - she will be up and running in no time, "mo' better than before" :)

I had not read the entire post till today, wow - even at my finest - i dont think i would have the time or the patience to do that !!!! :D:D

nice work on the original and I am sure you will get it back together a second time better than ever !!!

best of luck !

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The man has a lot more patients than I do for sure

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks gang!:D

Tranny parts on order and hope to have them soon!
Front of the motor is back together and just waiting on new hoses to complete that job.

Even with the purchase price, time to get it, parts, and time working on it, I'm still way ahead of the $$ figure that I would have into another tractor so I'm happy. Besides it has really already paid for it's self with one winter of snow removal and all the trees and stumps it has dug out. ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You sir are one brave man tearing that thing apart like it's a field repair on steroids!

I wouldn't have had the nerve to dig into something that deep without a decent garage over my head and a couple of benches with labeled bins and keyrap for all the parts.

I have a full engine rebuild to do on my D17 and that motor is coming off and on a stand in the garage, so hats off to you for doing that out in the naturals and just gettin' it done... wow!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea it's on a wood pad 16' x 8' (6" thick), it's a nice semi solid surface to work off of right at this moment.
Long story short, had to move a road to be able to build my garage and I just got the road done a little while ago.
Now I'm in the middle of trying to get the pad leveled for the new garage/shop that I'm building and was hoping to put off any rebuilding till then, but the clutch just wasn't cooperating with that plan!

Motor is all back together, now just waiting on parts to show for the transmission, then I'll put that back together and be back to work.

I also just picked up all the steel for the root rake and grapple, but that will have to wait till I get some other projects done.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Finally Success! :D
I rebuild all of it and I now have all my gears, super smooth engagement, and no grinding on the shuttle!
Now I can get some more dirt and log work done!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Finally Success! :D
I rebuild all of it and I now have all my gears, super smooth engagement, and no grinding on the shuttle!
Now I can get some more dirt and log work done!

No better feeling that success !!!

excellent job! :)