The first one

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well splitting wood this morning I took a bit of a brake and I happened to walk down and get the mail. And I found something on the ground. Yes a CHESTNUT, the first one of the year, and it was soooooo sweet and crunchy too, yup it wont be long now, winter is coming

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The buildings are ready.
The fire wood for this winter is ready.
The fire wood for next winter is ready.
Working on the fire wood for the winter after that.
The equipment is ready.
Everything else is ready.
But :eek:, I AM NOT READY! :( :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I still gotta get the firewood in. Started on it, but it's gonna be a couple weeks before I can get to it. They are saying it's gonna be less snow then last year here. But colder temps this year.

Have to so the wood in the fall and can't store it. Anything left ends up full of termites and ants in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I do not have an ant or termite problem but the yellow jackets and hornets love to make nests in the stacked wood. I stack the wood where people will not be bothered by them and after a couple good frosts I move it next to the basement door(walk out basement). I like the wood to season for at least 1 year preferably 2. Also, by having 2 years worth of wood ahead if something happens, and it has in the past, I don't have to worry about it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Firewood is ready,done in march. Too bad i dont heat my house with it- for my garage & my buddys house. About 5 cords ready to go.
I made 1/2 my pellets for house, another ton to go.

Snow plow is good to go, snowblower isnt.
Everybody wants to bring the winter storage stuff in early. Im nowhere near ready for that. I still have 6 acres of grass to cut.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmm I guess if a man had a ready supply of sawdust from a saw mill it could pay for it self over several years, ,,, BUT man the cost would sure cover a lot of heating

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am so depressed,, the chestnuts were ripe and almost ready to start falling,,, I figured another warm night and then spread out the tarps,,,, got some hard wind and they trees are now empty, the coon deer chipmunks wabbits and everything else has cleaned up the ground like you went over it with a leaf vac,,,, if I have half a peck of chestnuts I got a lot,,,I am so bummed, had to cancel orders for the nuts, there are some not very happy people after those phone calls

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did just that, not to bad a bit time consuming but a lot easier then cutting and splitting and stacking wood,,lol.. What do they charge you for the sawdust from the mill, or just pick it up and haul away? And really how much do you burn in an average year? Im getting a little long in the tooth so maybe this might be a better way to go, rather than cutting, loading, unloading, splitting, stacking, loading the stove, remove ash,,, man Im tired just talking about it

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
skeets,
So sorry you lost your Nuts... to the Deer, Wabbits, Chipmunks and Squirrels!

There is a Wood pellet plant in town, the pile of sawdust the size of a small mountain, and trucks are in and out everyday.
There is sawmills all over here and most either sell sawdust to them or take it down the road to have it turned into paper. ;)

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
All this talk about winter. Bah. 1974 I bought a 6 bedroom farm house on the ocean. 100 years + and no insulation. Wife and I cut, blocked and trucked home in pickup 16 cords year after year. Later insulation took that to 8 chords. 1988 gave up the farm and bought a 3 bedroom by the ocean. 8 chords became three. 6 years ago gave in to aging body and installed pellet stove. 3 cords of round wood became 110 bags of pellets. Much better. Last winter to acknowledge my 67th Herself had a heat pump installed. Now if I feel a chill I reach for the remote. Shudda done that years ago. More time for toys and less time working to keep warm. First ya get old, then ya get smart(er).

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
The leaves are changing pretty fast here and I've got 5 cords of wood split ready for the colder days ahead. I've had a couple of mornings in the mid 30's but all-in-all it's the nicest time of year...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
All this talk about winter. Bah. 1974 I bought a 6 bedroom farm house on the ocean. 100 years + and no insulation. Wife and I cut, blocked and trucked home in pickup 16 cords year after year. Later insulation took that to 8 chords. 1988 gave up the farm and bought a 3 bedroom by the ocean. 8 chords became three. 6 years ago gave in to aging body and installed pellet stove. 3 cords of round wood became 110 bags of pellets. Much better. Last winter to acknowledge my 67th Herself had a heat pump installed. Now if I feel a chill I reach for the remote. Shudda done that years ago. More time for toys and less time working to keep warm. First ya get old, then ya get smart(er).

Never better words said " First ya get old, then ya get smart(er)" .........;):D;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe when I cant start the saw or the splitter, and load the truck , I ll thinnk about a pellett stove, nice but not really my cup of tea ,I guess Im still a stupid kid at heart,,lol

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I still heat my cabin with oak & juniper (that I cut, haul, & split) in the insert fireplace, does a great job, but requires lots of attention.(the firebox just isn't big enough to load up for a long term burn) After watching my buddy load pellets twice a week, program night, morning, and evening temps, I'm pretty sure I'm going that route next year. Higher cost, but huge savings in labor. I'm sure I'll miss cutting wood, but I'll survive.