Nearly rolled - Stay safe

wozza

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 12, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Had a near catastrophe yesterday. Was working on a bit of a slope trying to build up some footings on my shed pad with sand and gravel. I had a fair bit of sand down and started to top it with gravel. Coming across the slope I started to raise the bucket and the load of gravel shifted causing the BX to sink into the sand on one side and raise the left rear off the ground. I was about to jump off and at the same time lowered the bucket to the ground which stopped it rolling.

It was my own stupid fault and should serve as a reminder not to become complacent when working on our machines. So a reminder to everyone to stay safe.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How long ya think its gona take to get all that soft brown stuff off the seat :D
Glad your OK mate, bet ya a beer you dont make that mistake again ;)

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
Had a near catastrophe yesterday. Was working on a bit of a slope trying to build up some footings on my shed pad with sand and gravel. I had a fair bit of sand down and started to top it with gravel. Coming across the slope I started to raise the bucket and the load of gravel shifted causing the BX to sink into the sand on one side and raise the left rear off the ground. I was about to jump off and at the same time lowered the bucket to the ground which stopped it rolling.

It was my own stupid fault and should serve as a reminder not to become complacent when working on our machines. So a reminder to everyone to stay safe.
Scary. We’ve probably all been there. I know I have. Glad it all worked out okay for you.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Glad it didn't go over. Thanks for posting, these postings serve to remind us to be careful, and that it can happen to anyone.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you try to jump off, you run the risk that the tractor will land on you. When using my BX, I rarely use the seat belt, but if I am doing work that I believe the tractor might roll over, I use the seat belt, because I know that I have a better chance of survival if I stay in the seat than if I get thrown off, and the tractor rolls over me. I also have a gauge that tells me the degree of slope, and keep a close eye on it. I never go across a hill, only up or down, and never turn on a hill. I have loaded tires, and a very heavy weight box, and my hand is always on the loader handle to drop the load quickly. When traveling with a load in the bucket, I raise it only enough to give the bucket ground clearance, and never raise it any higher than necessary to dump the load.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I wear my seat belt if I am not on level ground.

Be ready to drop the load.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...I never go across a hill, only up or down, and never turn on a hill. I have loaded tires, and a very heavy weight box, and my hand is always on the loader handle to drop the load quickly. When traveling with a load in the bucket, I raise it only enough to give the bucket ground clearance, and never raise it any higher than necessary to dump the load.
The BX is a pretty stable tractor. It has small tires and not much ground clearance...nice low center of gravity. Raising a heavy load obviously could cause a problem, but just be careful and use common sense.

I mow fields with fairly steep slopes. I am mowing across the hill. I use a B2920 as my smallest machine and an MX as my largest, with an L-series in the middle. I have a flail mower on the back. Being cautious and using good common sense, these tractors can actually handle a side-slope quite well. I have mowed a 30 acre all-slope field in this manner for 4 years now and not had an issue. The point I'm making is simply that side slopes can be operated on; just use caution.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Troverman - I don't have much in the way of slope to deal with but would love to see video of you crossing slopes you regularly mow and showing what slope you would avoid.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Troverman - I don't have much in the way of slope to deal with but would love to see video of you crossing slopes you regularly mow and showing what slope you would avoid.
I'm curious too! I pucker at a 5 - 10 ° side slope!

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Thanks for telling us.

Kennyd4110 asked about rear ballast.

A word of warning for those who use a rear grader blade as ballast. I got complacent and got a sharp reminder that it's OK as ballast - as long as it's not touching the ground :eek: . I was repairing a track and had a bucket-load of stones, tractor was nose down on a slope, with the roll centre pretty much parallel to the slope, so I was being extra careful. I decided to get off to check the exact position of the bucket before dumping the load, so as usual applied brakes, lowered the blade (happy it would be an extra good ground anchor too).... whereupon the upper rear wheel promptly started lifting up in the air. Luckily I was only lowering the blade slowly, still had my hand on the raise/lower lever, so I was able to get the blade up again pronto. I don't know how close the whole lot was to going right over and rolling down the slope.

The tractor has a ROPS. I bought a seat belt, like Kevin1 says.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I had a scary moment a few weeks ago. We have a puddle on sloping gravel road at out property. I've probably driven though that puddle 100+ times without any problems. We recently had some heavy rains that caused a lot of flooding. The puddle has become a major hole and I almost rolled my tractor. Thankfully I was going slow so I was able to avoid a major disaster. The width of the puddle did not change, only the depth. The lesson for me was to never assume.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve mowed my yard for almost 30 years, so I know it. Not much is flat. Some is steeper than this.

I posted this a couple years ago mowing my ditch. I chuckled to myself that the tractor looked tipped over from above. (I think someone dumped their McDonalds bags is why I stopped[emoji35]). My right front comes about a foot off the ground exiting the ditch ahead of where the tractor sits - you can see some old ruts.

I don’t know degrees, etc, but a BX is pretty nimble without the FEL on, like troverman said.

I’ve joked here for years my tractor needs to be part mountain goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
If you try to jump off, you run the risk that the tractor will land on you. When using my BX, I rarely use the seat belt, but if I am doing work that I believe the tractor might roll over, I use the seat belt, because I know that I have a better chance of survival if I stay in the seat than if I get thrown off, and the tractor rolls over me. I also have a gauge that tells me the degree of slope, and keep a close eye on it. I never go across a hill, only up or down, and never turn on a hill. I have loaded tires, and a very heavy weight box, and my hand is always on the loader handle to drop the load quickly. When traveling with a load in the bucket, I raise it only enough to give the bucket ground clearance, and never raise it any higher than necessary to dump the load.
Can you give me an idea using your gauge at what angle (degree of angle) you'd be in danger of tipping over?