Leaving Valve in Float for Long Time

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Probably a dumb question, but I have a habit of doing it, so I figured to ask what you guys thought.

When I park the tractor, I tend to put the valve in float to drop the FEL or snowblower, and leave it there.

Sometimes it'll sit for weeks in float.

Today I realized it was left that way since last use of the snowblower, which was November sometime...

Is it okay to leave it in the detent, or better back to the neutral position?

All works fine now, and always has. I know the biggest problem is water/corrosion mucking the detent end of the valve.

Just curious if I should change my habit, and why?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Uhmm. I guess leaving it in float could result in long term strain on the detent mechanism, but I really don’t know how it works mechanically.
My habit has always been to lower the loader, shut off the tractor, then relieve any pressure on all cylinders (lower, curl, etc). I don’t leave the stick in float.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it okay to leave it in the detent, or better back to the neutral position?
It should be left in neutral, leaving it in detent will compress the detent spring and eventually it will quit working, not the end of the world you would just need to rebuild the detent.

Leaving it in detent is not going to make the water corrosion issue any more or less of a problem, but if it rusts up in that position, you will have a real heck of a time fixing it as the loader will be dead. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks, guys.
RJ and Wolf man, figured as much. It does make sense.
One more bad habit to kick...damn, list is getting longer..just ask my wife ....[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Don't worry about the detent springs. Spring technology/metallurgy is so far beyond that it is no longer an issue,

When was the last time you lifted you car or truck off the ground "to keep the springs from taking a set" ?

The other aspects apply when present. i.e corrosion etc.

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
Don't worry about the detent springs. Spring technology/metallurgy is so far beyond that it is no longer an issue,

When was the last time you lifted you car or truck off the ground "to keep the springs from taking a set" ?

The other aspects apply when present. i.e corrosion etc.
Guess I'm a creature of habit. I still block up my 8000lb boat in the fall to take pressure off of the leaf-springs.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
This! Think about the springs in firearms magazines - they are compressed years on end for some folks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This! Think about the springs in firearms magazines - they are compressed years on end for some folks!
Are your firearms magazines subject to water, rust, corrosion, freezing, thawing. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just look at it this way. The same effort it took to get in the habit of leaving it in float will work to stop the cycle. Make it part of your shut down procedure and doing it right will be second nature.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Just look at it this way. The same effort it took to get in the habit of leaving it in float will work to stop the cycle. Make it part of your shut down procedure and doing it right will be second nature.
Hmmm... Doing it right?... 'Might be just a judgment call based on ignorance.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hmmm... Doing it right?... 'Might be just a judgment call based on ignorance.
Leaving it in float is the same as parking it with the bucket in the air. You're leaving it in a position where it could fall or shift. Might appear to be sitting flat when in fact it's resting on a rock. You could unknowingly stick your foot under the edge about the time when the rock kicks out and the bucket fall on your toe.

"Doing it right"

On any modern loader with electric controls even if left in float when you turn the key off it automatically goes to neutral position. So that is the right way.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Leaving it in float is the same as parking it with the bucket in the air. You're leaving it in a position where it could fall or shift. Might appear to be sitting flat when in fact it's resting on a rock. You could unknowingly stick your foot under the edge about the time when the rock kicks out and the bucket fall on your toe.

"Doing it right"

On any modern loader with electric controls even if left in float when you turn the key off it automatically goes to neutral position. So that is the right way.
This ^^^^^^^