BX23S TPL float

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have an 80 series bx23s-au.
This is the Aussie version that comes with a factory 4in1 bucket.

Im waiting on a box blade to arrive and wanted to know how I can float the TPL.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Hi 34,

If you mean how can you float the upper link - you can replace it with a piece of chain. That will allow it to float, yet limit it. I have done this when brush hogging rough terrain.

Jack

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I have an 80 series bx23s-au.
This is the Aussie version that comes with a factory 4in1 bucket.

Im waiting on a box blade to arrive and wanted to know how I can float the TPL.
That 4 in 1 bucket must be nice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Float on a three point is automatic, there is no down pressure. ;)
Just drop the box blade on the ground and go.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you mean how can you float the upper link - you can replace it with a piece of chain. That will allow it to float, yet limit it. I have done this when brush hogging rough terrain.
Changing the upper link on a box blade to a chain could quickly become disastrous. :eek:

You could very easily flip the top link connection point of the Blade right into the tractor!

The top link on a three point on a box blade controls the amount of cut, shortening it would cause it to cut deeper and lengthening it will cut less and skim over the surface.
This also works in reverse on a box blade with a rear blade as most have.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
That 4 in 1 bucket must be nice.
Yeah its standard on the AU model.
A 4in1 is common here which does not seem to be the case elsewhere.

Only got 15 hours on it and still getting used to the backhoe

Made a smudge bar to grab in the bucket.
In the middle of making a tow hitch than can be grabbed by the bucket

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
I have read to either remove the return spring (for the down side) on the TPL control lever.

From the pics ive seen the control is not the same on the 80 series

The other solution ive read is to hold the TPL control in the down position either by using a bungee or manually

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have read to either remove the return spring (for the down side) on the TPL control lever.

From the pics ive seen the control is not the same on the 80 series

The other solution ive read is to hold the TPL control in the down position either by using a bungee or manually
There is no springs on the lever.
The only spring is in the inside of the control valve, that would require you tearing the tractor apart to change it.

Someone with a BX23S will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the lever should be able to be put in the down position and stay there?
There is no feedback control on that model so it could very well be self canceling all the time and return to center on release.

Now if it is self canceling, holding the valve in a down position constantly with a bungee will do damage as it's going to put the hydraulic system into bypass.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Now if it is self canceling, holding the valve in a down position constantly with a bungee will do damage as it's going to put the hydraulic system into bypass.
34by151 - if yours is like my BX2360, it returns to a neutral (centered) position, i.e., self-cancelling?

If so, you and Wolfman are both correct.

Best to just hold it down by hand. Easy enough to do, and I find it better for making small adjustments by the "Quarter-inching" adjustment the BX's have. Just pop the lever up/down quickly with thumb or index finger, and the TPH will raise/lower about 1/4".

I would not bungee it in ANY position. You will get accustomed to it quickly. Pretty simple.

I will try to get a pic of my control....again, it's a BX2360, they've been around awhile. Hopefully it's helpful.

If your control looks/acts/ is labeled differently, post a picture of it. (You need 5 posts before you can post photos)

Last edited:

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
I just discovered kubota have added a detent to the 80 series.

Normally the lever returns to neutral
The old method of locking it in the down position with a bungee is not needed.

Right beside the lever is a slot.
When the lever is in the down position the slot is exposed
Placing a piece of steel (about 40mm wide) in the slot locks it into the down position.

Tested it out with a ruler, works great

I will get some pics and post them latter today

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Here is a pic of the 80 series controls.
If you compare the pic in post 9 you can see the extra slot added between the seat and the TPL lever.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-tEZJaDWvIxCg-rFjBqXHPMhrddTOD3D/view?usp=sharing

The slot measures 35mm x 6mm and is open when in the lever is in the down position. Inserting some flatbar into the slot prevents the lever returning to the neutral position.

Also a pic of the factory 4in1 bucket that comes on the BX23S-AU
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vguDVJ8HP30WZY9ODCwcrFGs0Z1g-ncH/view?usp=sharing

The plastic tube taped on is my very simple level indicator

Last edited: