1st tractor purchase

Muddy boots

Equipment
MX5200, grapple, tiller, brush hog, backhoe
Jan 14, 2019
Paw Paw, MI
Hi guys, looking to get my 1st tractor and could use some opinions. I have a 98acre property in sw MI. The property is mostly river bottom timber that’s muddy and mucky most the year. I’ve considered skid steer or tractor since I purchased the farm in 2016. I’ve decided on a new tractor at this point and possibly a used skid steer in the future. Mostly because versatility of tractor and price of implements. I want to make trails through brush and timber, keep trails and property clean of fallen trees and debris, build small roads over creeks to connect trails, maintain a 7-10 acre food plot system and anything else required to make and manage this farm 100% for whitetail. I know that size of tractor will be important as I want to maintain the trails as UTV size not car. I originally was looking at a L4701 HST but have recently decided on a mx5200 to get the extra power in a similar size machine. I’d like to get it w/ bigger bucket, grapple, backhoe w/ thumb, brush hog, tiller and quick hitch. Looking for any input or recommendations on tractor size, implements, questions to ask dealer and overall advice or suggestions. Thanks all for taking the time.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If it’s always wet and muddy a tractor is not going to be your friend, especially in that size. Sounds like you may need something with tracks. Pics of the property would probably get better answers:D

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Hi guys, looking to get my 1st tractor and could use some opinions. I have a 98acre property in sw MI. The property is mostly river bottom timber that’s muddy and mucky most the year. I’ve considered skid steer or tractor since I purchased the farm in 2016. I’ve decided on a new tractor at this point and possibly a used skid steer in the future. Mostly because versatility of tractor and price of implements. I want to make trails through brush and timber, keep trails and property clean of fallen trees and debris, build small roads over creeks to connect trails, maintain a 7-10 acre food plot system and anything else required to make and manage this farm 100% for whitetail. I know that size of tractor will be important as I want to maintain the trails as UTV size not car. I originally was looking at a L4701 HST but have recently decided on a mx5200 to get the extra power in a similar size machine. I’d like to get it w/ bigger bucket, grapple, backhoe w/ thumb, brush hog, tiller and quick hitch. Looking for any input or recommendations on tractor size, implements, questions to ask dealer and overall advice or suggestions. Thanks all for taking the time.
If I could offer some help I would suggest AG Tires only if your going to be in the mud mostly. You’ll want as much digging capacity as possible. I have the MX5800 and for the price difference it was not that much more than the 5200. I feel I have plenty of power. The only thing I would say if your moving a lot with the grapple you’ll need a heavy ballast if you don’t have the backhoe connected. I would also look at piranha tooth for the bucket. I would also suggest adding front and rear remotes to the tractor in the deal.

As for the skid steer option, a high flow with tracks would be suggested and you could run all the same implements as the tractor. You might quote both ways and see where the prices land.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I am also concerned about the mud. Mud and tractors doesnt go well. Muddy compacted road...fine. Muddy field, no good. If it is wet most of the year, it will be bad.

As long as you have enough acreage that dries out to do your tractor work on, you should be good. Try to make the machine as light as possible when going over mud...so I would not fill the rear tires. This way you have flexibility.

Muddy boots

Equipment
MX5200, grapple, tiller, brush hog, backhoe
Jan 14, 2019
Paw Paw, MI
Little update. Good news got my tractor!!! Bad news..... had it buried to the frame in 2 hrs. Haha. It’s been a really wet spring and I had it delivered day after Easter. Really digging the package I went with, however it’s not ideal as the majority of my farm is river bottom muck land! I’d consider a track package haha. Any thoughts on that??? I have a feeling they’re gonna be ridiculously expensive. I think the tractors in the profile pic. Mx5200, fwd tine tiller, brush hog, backhoe, grapple, hd bucket, r4 tires loaded.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Little update. Good news got my tractor!!! Bad news..... had it buried to the frame in 2 hrs. Haha. It***8217;s been a really wet spring and I had it delivered day after Easter. Really digging the package I went with....
Unfortunate choice of wording... LOL

They told you NOT to load the tires...remember?

This may be another example of having an experienced tractor-operator come out and actually lay eyes on the property/task-at-hand before purchase.

Sorry this happened to you...but I suspect you'll figure it out how to make what you've got work for you. I know you're not the ONLY one to acquire new equipment and get it stuck right-away. (That'd be ME TOO!) BTDT

George (the idiot who bought a 8-ton smooth steel wheeled asphalt roller and, first day owning it, drove it out into the pasture the day after it rained.... where it sat for a month while I figured how to get it back outta there.) LOL

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Little update. Good news got my tractor!!! Bad news..... had it buried to the frame in 2 hrs. Haha. It’s been a really wet spring and I had it delivered day after Easter. Really digging the package I went with, however it’s not ideal as the majority of my farm is river bottom muck land! I’d consider a track package haha. Any thoughts on that??? I have a feeling they’re gonna be ridiculously expensive. I think the tractors in the profile pic. Mx5200, fwd tine tiller, brush hog, backhoe, grapple, hd bucket, r4 tires loaded.

Should have bought one with these!

https://www.ebay.com/i/221204656793?chn=ps

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Additionally that MX isn't big enough in the first place. You need something with some balls, that don't have it.

First thing I'd do is lose the loaded tires. The weight is sinking you. I see you were told not to load the tires.... duh.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kubota makes a track machine but it's a bit more than 85 grand, more like $125 grand. Looks good on the M9 btw. Maybe I should get a set...lol