Backhoe hydraulics

RICH02

Equipment
l3940HST
Aug 4, 2017
North Collins , New York US
I traded my mahindra tractor for a kubota L3940 . When i Traded I kept the mahindra 3710 backhoe . Im getting started on mounting the backhoe but need a little help with the hydraulics. According to the manuals the kubota produces 14.7 gpm ( 9.8 plus 4.9 for steering ) and the mahindra 3215 had 10.8gpm (7.4 and 3.4 for steering) . So with the kubota having 2.4 gpm more then the mahindra , would it be safe to run the hydraulics thru the kubota PB or aux ports? I dont want to ruin a great machine and i could put a pto pump on the backhoe if its necessary. Thanks for any help.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My preference is always an external pump and tank. No cross contamination of fluid and easier hookup and removal. Besides, you don't need to run the tractor at rated pto rpm to use the hoe constructively so long as you buy a pump rated with a high enough GPM flow.

My last one (that I sold years ago) was external and the rated flow was such that I could run the tractor just above an idle and use the hoe. Saves fuel and wear and tear on the machine as well.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Did the mahindra have open center hydraulics? If not, you need to convert it to open. I would be more concerned with this, than a little more hydraulic volume.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So with the kubota having 2.4 gpm more then the mahindra , would it be safe to run the hydraulics thru the kubota PB or aux ports?
It will be fine, it will just move a little quicker.
Mahindra uses an Open center system so You're good there.

I would recommend that you connect it all up ,run the tractor hydraulics (but do not move the tractor) for a couple min moving all the cylinders on the BH from one extreme to the other, then shut down the tractor and change the hydraulic fluid and filters.
This will help with any cross contamination of fluids. ;)

Last edited:

RICH02

Equipment
l3940HST
Aug 4, 2017
North Collins , New York US
Thanks for the response . I was a concerned about burning the tractor pump up :) . Im going to try running the PB and if it seems like its struggling Ill go with the PTO pump. Ill definitely Flush the system and change Oil and filter. I took really good care of the mahindra but the backhoe has been sitting for a year . Once Im done with the mount and hydraulics , Ill have to paint the Hoe Orange lol
Thanks again