Vehicle Tradein $$

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Not much to add here except to reiterate discussing the trade after you are happy with the price you have negotiated on the car you are buying.

Also, I have never taken the trade-in car to the dealership with me unless I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm talking a bumper to bumper cleaning, especially the interior. I get it looking like it just came off the showroom floor. After that's done I wax the crap out of it and put that tire-wet stuff on the tires. This all takes a couple of hours but I've found it to be very well worth it as I've always got what I wanted (and sometimes more) on the trade-in. (Like many have mentioned, I would much rather do the trade-in rather than dealing with Craigslist idiots.)

I even had on car salesman say "Your truck is so clean we could eat off it."

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
When I am going to buy a new vehicle, and want to trade a vehicle I own, I look at the KBB trade value and the dealer's used inventory for the same or similar vehicle that I am trading.

I know what I want for my trade, and I know what the new vehicle can be sold for. I don't wait for a price from the dealer, I give them a price.

When they try to reduce the price of the trade by $5k, I ask them why they are asking $7k more for the same vehicle they have on their lot.

I can usually come to terms with most dealers, but when I buy a vehicle it is not a must buy that day situation so I can just walk away.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When I have to buy a new truck I take what they give me for my old one, cause it more than likely needs 2 or 3 times what they offer to fix it all up again

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
One of the perks of my job is that I don’t have to deal with that ;).

Last dealer I work at would sell me used vehicles at whatever they had in it. I bought my f250 within minutes of it being traded in. I even had to go pick up the camper for the guy that traded it because the fifth wheel for his new truck wasn’t there.

Current dealer sells us used vehicles at $1200 over what they got in it, but if it still on the lot after 60 days then it’s $500.

We get new vehicles at dealer cost but that’s a program through the manufacturer

My favorite vehicles to buy are the ones that come through service and people are tired of fixing and want to dump lol. Made lots of good deals that way.

Some dealers will also take anything in on trade. Boats, quads, side by sides, motorcycles, tractors, hell one dealer I was at took in a living room furniture set lol. Never hurts to ask!