Vehicle Tradein $$

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
What kind of value do you get when you trade in your vehicle? We tend to buy something we like, after a lot of research and searching, settle on what we want to spend and how much we want if we trade in a vehicle. The last few vehicles I have managed to get almost twice what was originally offered. Ford Explorer offer $2500 I got $4700, had the Ford for 16 years and got 20% of the original cost. Subaru outback offer $3500 I got $5500, had it for 12 years and got 29% of the original cost. We try to buy before we absolutely need to, that way it is easy to walk away if the deal does not feel right. Just curious about other people's experiences.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What kind of value do you get when you trade in your vehicle? We tend to buy something we like, after a lot of research and searching, settle on what we want to spend and how much we want if we trade in a vehicle. The last few vehicles I have managed to get almost twice what was originally offered. Ford Explorer offer $2500 I got $4700, had the Ford for 16 years and got 20% of the original cost. Subaru outback offer $3500 I got $5500, had it for 12 years and got 29% of the original cost. We try to buy before we absolutely need to, that way it is easy to walk away if the deal does not feel right. Just curious about other people's experiences.
I have found over the last 40 years - that when you buy a "new" car/truck and then get close to the end of the discussion......THEN say you want to trade in a car/truck....the dealer now has to turn and offer you a low ball price on your old one.

Many dealers make you feel great by offering you a hellva lot more for your trade in than normal, only after the math is complete do you find that they really lowered the already too high cost of the new vehicle.

I always get down as lows a I can, telling them I am paying one price for all the above........the vehicle, the taxes, the dmv fees etc......I know after doing research on the "new" car what I should be paying for it - and if they get in the ballpark I listen.

I start my conversation with...... "If you treat me like an idiot....this will be a short conversation!" .....

I ignore all the bs too - I know what I want when I walked in - and when they say that "this is the best we can do" - I say thank you .........thank you ....no, and tell them I have an appointment with joblow down in the next town.....

AS for trade ins, I always make much more selling the vehicle myself. Only once did I trade in a van for another........it was right at the "breaking" point too....ol dodge with tranny problems!:p:D

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Past few truck trade ins, I was offered about half of what trade in value showed on various websites, however I was buying a used truck 3 years behind current year. Last truck trade in was a 2010 f250 with 120K miles in average shape they wanted to give me $6k for it when trade in was 12K and retail was 16K. Finally found a dealer that would give me 9500 for it.

Dealerships are businesses there to make money but they are one of the few that get away with very shady tactics like manipulating numbers during negotiation.

There is no such thing as a great deal or being given in trade more than something is worth at a dealership. If you think you had that deal then you had been swindled and just didnt realize it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I run them until they are basically shot and then donate the carcass to a non-profit like Mother Waddles and write off whatever the vehicle Kelly blue book's for.

Been doing that right along.

Last 2 vehicles I bought, one was a low mileage off lease, clean car fax, no accidents, female driver, still under factory warranty which I extended out because of all the electronics. Runs like a top and averages 40mpg city and highway.

Second was a one owner outright buy 2008 Suburban LTZ 4x4, loaded with 66K miles on it, always garaged (I know the owner personally). 16K cash.

Both will go until ythey either cost too much to maintain or die and then off to Mother Waddles and Waddles picks up with a tow truck if necessary.

Don't buy new or trade in anymore. Both losing deals.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
In our area it is such a hassle trying to sell a vehicle, not many people or ways to get the word out. We haven't bought a new vehicle since '96 Ford, always seem to find that low mileage one we are looking for then the dealing begins. Last time we were trying out vehicles other than Subaru and ended up finding a low mileage MKC and got into it for what I thought was a decent cost from where the dealer started.
On a side note has anyone had any exposure to the new Subaru Ascent with with the 2.4L turbo? Not a bad looking vehicle, OB on steroids. Friends just bought one but I have not had a chance to look at it closely or drive it, they seem to love it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I almost always trade-in my stuff, and take the loss as a way to avoid having to deal with Phoenix area a$$holes. There is probably no place in the US with worse "customers" for selling a used car/truck/motorcycle/boat/atv/etc.
"I'll be right over!" (never show up, or show up 12hrs late at 3am)
"It's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll pay full price!" (then offer 3% of asking price)
Or show up late, look at the car for an hour, then walk away without saying a word.
How about"Give me the keys so I can test drive it! What do you mean, you want to ride with me?!?!" then leave all POed.
"I'll take it, here's a 3 party, out of state check, that is post dated 3 weeks."
I'd rather take the trade-in hit and be done with it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I almost always trade-in my stuff, and take the loss as a way to avoid having to deal with Phoenix area a$$holes. There is probably no place in the US with worse "customers" for selling a used car/truck/motorcycle/boat/atv/etc.
"It's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll pay full price!" (then offer 3% of asking price)
Or show up late, look at the car for an hour, then walk away without saying a word.
How about"Give me the keys so I can test drive it! What do you mean, you want to ride with me?!?!" then leave all POed.
"I'll take it, here's a 3 party, out of state check, that is post dated 3 weeks."
Sounds like Craigs List to me. CL, home of the tire kickers and no shows.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sounds like Maine CL to me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The 40mpg car I bought (2014 Ford Focus SE hatch) I bought from a Ford dealer not an individual. Took it for the usual test drive, car was fantastic. They were asking 14, I offered 11 CASH, had 5 grand in my pocket is C notes.

Drummer said no way. I got up and said... see ya. Got to the door and it was 11 cash. He really crapped when I peeled off 50 C notes and told him to get it ready, I's pick it up the next day and pay the balance...in cash.

I wanted 2 separate transactions because now the government requires any transaction over 10 grand to be documented and reported to the IRS.

Nice car. Wanted an RS but the wife said no. Mine is at least a 5 speed but then I'm a standard trans guy anyway.

Won't ever buy another because Fords s moving the assembly to China. Mine was built in Wayne, Michigan at Michigan Truck and assembly.

Financing anything (unless it's 0 percent) is always a loser, same with leasing. The only entity that makes out on a lease is the dealer.

I got the Focus for less that 1/2 of the sticker price. The Leasee took the depreciation hit and got nothing in the end except another lease payment.

Wouldn't have bought the Suburban (I despise Obama motors) but the price was right and I knew the original owner.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
While touching on the subject of CL, I sell my excess hay inventory on CL every year. I have this rule, I'll meet you at the barn at such and such time and be prompt because if you don't show in 15 minutes after that time, the barn is locked and I'm gone and bring cash, I don't do checks and don't try to lowball me. It is what it is. Finally, don't whine, I hate whiners and if you whine the prices goes up depending on the amount of whining and my mood.

I don't have many issues when I lay it out in black and white. I make them pay in advance of loading too (I don't load except rounds). Made that mistake once and had to unload the trailer myself.

Most times the transactions go smoothly. Could be because I'm usually wearing a sidearm. I like to be armed when around hay in the barn, one never knows what might pop out. Something about the sight of a Kimber 45 ACP makes people respectful.:)

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sounds like Maine CL to me.
Since 2008 I have been buying and selling all kinds of "stuff" on craigslist.....
cars,trucks,motorcycles,cell phones, kubotas :D, stereo stuff, wire, insulation...more than you want to know.....

two days ago I bought a very nice old Craftsman 10" table saw with a 350 fence on it - excellent shape all the way around.

Adding everything up (bought and sold) I hit 100K dollars.....
and met 115 people....

only had ONE person that wanted to @#$#@#@ me!!!!

That was a little ol' lady about 65.....drove my used car 35' came back a day later and wanted to give me a check and $500 in cash.....($5500)

needless to say, I told her we could drive to her bank the next day and cash the check........she said in a later email.....she was sick!

Other than that the other 100+ people have been pretty straight!;)
But I know that is not the case all the time!:p

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The last one I traded in was a fluke, got way more than it was worth and yes didn't have to deal with the nut jobs on Cl to do it! ;)

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't think that the dealer wants my stuff by the time I'm done with it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't think that the dealer wants my stuff by the time I'm done with it.
That was the way my last trade-in went. After getting almost $20k off list on a new Lincoln, we asked about the trade for our 1999 LHS. They said they didn't want it, because no one wants one anymore, KBB value was $550, 203k mi, needed windshield (more than BB value) and driver's leather seat cover. (more than BB value)
I said deal was off unless they took it in trade & gave us something for it, so they "gave" us "$932" in trade. So they made (at least) $4k on the sale instead of $5K.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
That was the way my last trade-in went. After getting almost $20k off list on a new Lincoln, we asked about the trade for our 1999 LHS. They said they didn't want it, because no one wants one anymore, KBB value was $550, 203k mi, needed windshield (more than BB value) and driver's leather seat cover. (more than BB value)
I said deal was off unless they took it in trade & gave us something for it, so they "gave" us "$932" in trade. So they made (at least) $4k on the sale instead of $5K.
How did you get 20K off? Just curious, that's great for any kind of vehicle.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't know how 'Foot did 20k, but last 2 or 3 Chevy trucks I bought when they had $7,500 off, or one was 17%.. maybe $8,700. Got an Equinox at 20% off....we typical get 1LT trim-level Chevys, and they're often the ones on sale. I've had 6 Silverado Z-71's..she's had vans, now 2 Equinox.

Darn things are too expensive for MSRP...

We typically trade about 5-6 years. My trucks have ~60k miles; wife's car ~ 90k (and she has 2 mile drive to work).

We do trade ours. Dealership we bought 12 new ones from likes them because we take care of them. I think last trade for me was $14k out the door. I was okay with that for 6 years.

I can't buy a 6-year life-expectancy pickup for $14k, and it's got power train warranty while I have it.

We live in a very rural area. Everybody knows everybody, and we know the owner. With that said, I think they could have done about $2,000 better on a deal several years ago...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
End of the year clearance. (bought a 2017 at the end of 2018) They had a lot to move, and the one we bought has mid level equipment and most Lincoln buyers want all the bells & whistles or they want to save on a bare bones model. Plus when you buy higher priced vehicles (like Lincoln) there is usually more room to dicker than on lower price models. Cash also helps.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
That is good planning, we try. Got the 2016 MKC for about 60% of original cost per the title. The turbo made me do it, lol. That new Nautilus has a 2.7 turbo so may have to check one of those out in a couple of years.