Oil Issue

JMO

May 31, 2017
San Antonio TX
No I did not do the happy dance (just got a new knee), but if you would have seen the grin on my face you would have known how I felt. Some might call it a S...E.. Grin!!!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
JMO, good that you got it going with no damage.

I realize you have to be excited about getting it fired up, but just a note...your MX4700 has no GAS tank! It probably seems trite to even mention it, but if you don't change your vocabulary and keep mentioning your diesel has a gas tank, sooner or later someone will be dumping gasoline in the diesel tank. Call it diesel, then your wife, kids, neighbors will have at least heard that word before.:D

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
JMO, good that you got it going with no damage.

I realize you have to be excited about getting it fired up, but just a note...your MX4700 has no GAS tank! It probably seems trite to even mention it, but if you don't change your vocabulary and keep mentioning your diesel has a gas tank, sooner or later someone will be dumping gasoline in the diesel tank. Call it diesel, then your wife, kids, neighbors will have at least heard that word before.:D
That’s funny, my 4 year old boy says every time we go to the gas station that the green one is for daddy’s truck and the black one is for mommy’s car! He also knows the tractor runs on diesel in the yellow cans and the zero turn runs on gas in the red cans!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
That’s funny, my 4 year old boy says every time we go to the gas station that the green one is for daddy’s truck and the black one is for mommy’s car! He also knows the tractor runs on diesel in the yellow cans and the zero turn runs on gas in the red cans!
Just don't do that at the BP stations I'm familiar with. They use green for gas and yellow for diesel. :eek::eek:

My good friends wife stopped at a BP to fill their diesel Sprinter van. Selected the green nozzle and proceeded. A bit down the road and things turned ugly to the tune of nearly $15,000. She was well versed with diesel products, but it is crazy how our brain gets conditioned to patterns (green = diesel).

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just don't do that at the BP stations I'm familiar with. They use green for gas and yellow for diesel. :eek::eek:

My good friends wife stopped at a BP to fill their diesel Sprinter van. Selected the green nozzle and proceeded. A bit down the road and things turned ugly to the tune of nearly $15,000. She was well versed with diesel products, but it is crazy how our brain gets conditioned to patterns (green = diesel).
See it happen all the time here at work. It gets very expensive real quick. For some reason too I have seen so many people put DEF in the fuel tank or fill the DEF tank with diesel. If my wife needs to use the truck I make sure it has plenty of fuel in it so I don’t have to worry about her putting gas in it lol

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Several moons ago I had a '83 Nissan Maxima which had a diesel engine. I was going to Springfield, Mo and had a motel room reserved. When I got to town a wasn't sure where the hotel was located so I stopped at a "gas station" that also had diesel pumps. As i was putting fuel in my car I went in and asked how to get to the motel.

As I drove to the motel I noticed nothing different but when I got situated in the motel I went out to move the car to a different location and noticed something different as I moved 500'. When I left town I began to really notice some lag in power and more black smoke than usual, but I was up and down some Missouri hills. Finally it wouldn't pull any hills and I pulled over and got it towed to the nearest station (about 1/2 mile!).

As I was waiting for the tow I checked the primer at the filter and was able to get some fluid on my fingers. First thing I noticed, it evaporated pretty quick. Then I smelled it. Yep, gasoline.

I told the driver what I had done. He pulled me behind his station and stopped over a large pot hole. He/we pulled the drain plug and let it run. Then filled up with diesel. I sat there for a half hour drinking coffee with it idling to be sure it would run.

I looked at my fuel ticket and had about 1/3 tank of gasoline in the diesel tank. I never had any troubles with that engine. I sold it running with 365,000 miles and the only thing I ever did was change the timing chain as recommended.

And...I used a Frantz filter after the first 20,000 miles, and changed the toilet paper roll every two weeks because of the mileage I drove.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent to hear you got it going, Just keep an eye on the temp levels, operations, and sounds as you run it. ;)

It does sound like you dodged the bullet. :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
See it happen all the time here at work. It gets very expensive real quick. For some reason too I have seen so many people put DEF in the fuel tank or fill the DEF tank with diesel. If my wife needs to use the truck I make sure it has plenty of fuel in it so I don’t have to worry about her putting gas in it lol
Prior to my retirement from the Freightliner dealer where I worked, I saw numerous Fed-Ex trucks come in not running because the driver's put gas in the diesel tank. It' usually but not always does bad things to a diesel engine.

having said that I've put diesel in my zero turn Kawasaki powered lawnmower and it's not hurt it. Little down on power and smokes and won't idle but other than that, no issues.

I ddin't work as a diesel tech so I don't know what it cost the drivers who were independent contractors but I bet it wasn't cheap.

When I fuel my pickup truck, I never pay any attention to the nozzle cover, I look at the pump itself and the nozzle. Diesel nozzles are usually coated with crud because it's oily. gas nozzles are always clean because gas is a solvent and not oily.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
After traveling across the country several times by several different routes, I never pay attention to the pump handle color. I have seen diesel pump handles in black, white, yellow, green, red, & blue. My local stations all seem to use green for diesel, but I even keep an eye on them. I think green is most common, but diesel cans are yellow. Go figure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just up the road they redid a fuel station and turned it into a truck stop, and Recreational vehicle stop, they added more pumps, they added one that is particularly confusing if you don't know what your doing.

It has 6 nozzles, Diesel Large nozzle, Diesel small nozzle, off road (Red Dyed Diesel), Non ethanol gasoline, Kerosene, DEF fluid.

It's a kick in the pants to pull up at the pump, pop in the large diesel nozzle, start filling and play nascar pit crew to see if you can clean the windshield faster than it will refuel! I can't do it, I'll have to time it sometime, but i think it takes less than 30 seconds to fill the tank. :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just up the road they redid a fuel station and turned it into a truck stop, and Recreational vehicle stop, they added more pumps, they added one that is particularly confusing if you don't know what your doing.

It has 6 nozzles, Diesel Large nozzle, Diesel small nozzle, off road (Red Dyed Diesel), Non ethanol gasoline, Kerosene, DEF fluid.

It's a kick in the pants to pull up at the pump, pop in the large diesel nozzle, start filling and play nascar pit crew to see if you can clean the windshield faster than it will refuel! I can't do it, I'll have to time it sometime, but i think it takes less than 30 seconds to fill the tank. :D
One has to wonder how many people will use the wrong nozzle???

Myself, I prefer the smaller nozzles and flow when filling my pickup truck with 3 tanks. Diesel has a tendency to foam and kick the nozzles off too soon. Especially on the 2 inboard tanks. The 100 gallon bed tank, not so much but foam is still an issue there as well. I go a long way on 150 gallons.

Just read about a guy on an RV forum I'm on that put regular unleaded in his diesel pusher and then gave his wallet to the repair shop. Guess his smeller was broken.:eek:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Sorry I have derailed this thread lol! But since we off the tracks... wolfman-stations like those keep shops busy,at least around here, and troopers if they want to check your fuel for off road fuel. When people have that many options it’s easy to make a mistake.

Sidecar-you have mentioned a 14 Ford and a 97 Ford if I recall correctly from your posts. I know the 97 could have 2 inboard tanks but where would you stuff two tanks under the 14? I have seen f450 and 550s with custom beds,hauler beds,that have two tanks but would like to see how you have a regular pick up set up on two tanks under it and one in the bed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sorry I have derailed this thread lol! But since we off the tracks... wolfman-stations like those keep shops busy,at least around here, and troopers if they want to check your fuel for off road fuel. When people have that many options it’s easy to make a mistake.

Sidecar-you have mentioned a 14 Ford and a 97 Ford if I recall correctly from your posts. I know the 97 could have 2 inboard tanks but where would you stuff two tanks under the 14? I have seen f450 and 550s with custom beds,hauler beds,that have two tanks but would like to see how you have a regular pick up set up on two tanks under it and one in the bed.
I have 97 F350, 7.3 with 2 frame mounted tanks and a 100 gallon in bed tank and a 14 Focus hatch. The 100 gallon in bed tank feeds the tractors in the field and the truck so it's all undyed ULSD. Now, if I';m home, the tractors get filled from the bulk tank and that is off road.

Around here, the 'fuel police' us a clear hose and dip you tank. usually at public auctions of farm equipment. That seems to be the hot spot. Never had an issue, I don't use off road fuel in my truck, only the tractors.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have 97 F350, 7.3 with 2 frame mounted tanks and a 100 gallon in bed tank and a 14 Focus hatch. The 100 gallon in bed tank feeds the tractors in the field and the truck so it's all undyed ULSD. Now, if I';m home, the tractors get filled from the bulk tank and that is off road.

Around here, the 'fuel police' us a clear hose and dip you tank. usually at public auctions of farm equipment. That seems to be the hot spot. Never had an issue, I don't use off road fuel in my truck, only the tractors.
Gotcha. I got a 95 250 sitting in the drive still debating what to do with. Hard to find time to mess with it between work and 2 little kids.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Gotcha. I got a 95 250 sitting in the drive still debating what to do with. Hard to find time to mess with it between work and 2 little kids.
Bought my '97 new, ordered it in fact. It's an XLT with cloth interior, buckets in the front, bench in the back (4 door). Never seen Michigan snow. Stays in the garage all winter, just under 90K miles in all the years I've owned it.

Paid 30 for it, A plan. Been offered 22 cash but it's not for sale. The 7.3 Navistar is the best engine Ford ever put in a medium duty pickup. Little down on power stock but easily modified and the engine is really bulletproof so long as you remain sane with the power output. Stock is 325, mine is 400 courtesy of Gale Banks and that is plenty for my uses. Will be in my estate I'm sure.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'm sooo happy to be wrong. Glad it's running!