First tractor purchase advice

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
After more research and seeing tons of videos of B series tractor and implement use on properties similar to mine I'm starting to think that a B series may be sufficient, maybe a B2650. Getting work done quickly isn't my priority so if I need to make a few extra passes with the blower or trips with gravel/dirt I don't mind, I'll have the time.

From what I've seen there isn't much the B series can't do for my requirements. I just didn't think initially they were as capable as I'm now discovering. A smaller tractor would also be more nimble in the woods which is my second priority after snow removal.

The B2650 was one machine I seriously considered, but I ended up with the L4060. There are a lot of B2650 owners here that are very satisfied with this model.
Since you’re looking at the larger B series machines... make sure you do your homework on the B3350 in particular (new or used). The 3350 has been plagued with dpf problems. There was talk of a redesigned B3350, but I highly doubt it’s out yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
The B2650 was one machine I seriously considered, but I ended up with the L4060. There are a lot of B2650 owners here that are very satisfied with this model.
Since you’re looking at the larger B series machines... make sure you do your homework on the B3350 in particular (new or used). The 3350 has been plagued with dpf problems. There was talk of a redesigned B3350, but I highly doubt it’s out yet.

Thanks for the heads up, the local Kubota dealer I went to visit yesterday actually told me the same thing and recommended I steer clear of the 3350.

I'm really torn between 2650, 4060 and finding a good used 4240 (or similar). It's my first tractor and after seeing the 4060 at the dealer it looked huge compared to the 2650. I'm sure that I'd get used to the size and comfortable with it over time, and probably appreciate the extra power getting up the steep laneway and better lift capacity. I don't want to regret getting too small. I'm also 6'4" and the 2650 did feel a bit cramped in the cab.

I still have some time to decide so will keep collecting advice.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tractors are kind like boats,, they all look a lot bigger, until you start to use them

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
When I traded my B8200 for an L3410 I almost had the delivery driver take it back because it seemed so huge at the time. I really thought I made a mistake, but enjoyed the 3410 for 13 years or so.
I once talked to a wealthy homeowner that had a spank’n new 100+ hp John Deere and 20’ batwing he bought to cut his 5 acre front yard, so I guess there are machine size limits... I just haven’t reached mine yet!

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
When I traded my B8200 for an L3410 I almost had the delivery driver take it back because it seemed so huge at the time. I really thought I made a mistake, but enjoyed the 3410 for 13 years or so.
I once talked to a wealthy homeowner that had a spank’n new 100+ hp John Deere and 20’ batwing he bought to cut his 5 acre front yard, so I guess there are machine size limits... I just haven’t reached mine yet!
I suspect I would be perfectly happy once I got an L4060 home and started using it. I'm also finding that the used L40 series tends to hold its value so the added comfort going new and not having to worry about used tractor history would be a big comfort.

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
To be clear, I’m not necessarily suggesting a larger tractor. Just agreeing with skeets that they can seem over-large when shopping as a first time buyer, or trading up.
There is also a smaller Grand L’s in the L3560, which is a popular choice. For a more basic machine there is also the L2501, L3301, etc...
Good luck with whatever you decide!

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have a Grand L3540.

I like the features of the grand series.

High and low range that you can shift while is moving. Plus 3 range the you shift while it is stopped.

The 3pt has extenders on it to make it a lot easier to hook up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxOALRWm-I

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
To be clear, I’m not necessarily suggesting a larger tractor. Just agreeing with skeets that they can seem over-large when shopping as a first time buyer, or trading up.
There is also a smaller Grand L’s in the L3560, which is a popular choice. For a more basic machine there is also the L2501, L3301, etc...
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Understood. Cab is a must though with a 1km laneway to clear and -20C.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
OK for my 2 cents. Put the snowblower in front of the tractor or standard rear facing. The inverted thing was tried and died years ago, in fact it was how blowers started. What do you do when you can't drive thru the snow? You back in and take a bite then repeat, repeat. Been there, don't want to go back. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

KURTEE

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I've been looking for months and was hoping to find a good used machine with low hours but that proved more difficult than I thought. The difference on a 10 yr old machine with 750-1500 hours was in most cases $3-5K, that just didn't make sense to not buy new. The fact that all tractors (in Canada anyway) are increasing in price by 4% in March helped make the decision.

So, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a new L4060 with cab with the following:

LA805 loader, 72" square bucket/skid steer
R4 industrial tires
third function
block heater
loaded tires
LP 72" box scraper
Walco 2000 lbs pallet forks
HLA 66" light duty root grapple

I also separately ordered a Woodland Mills WC68 6" PTO driven wood chipper. I'll look for a snow blade before next winter.

I like the idea of having the full warranty and good relationship/support from the local dealer.

Thank you to all who weighed in and provided excellent information in helping make my decision. I take delivery in a month or so (at my request) and will post pics then.

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
You have a similar setup as my L4060 and (most) implements. The Grand L cabs are really comfy, you will definitely enjoy your new machine!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Very nice, congrats. I'm kind of surprised you didn't pick up a snowblower at the same time.

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I've been looking for months and was hoping to find a good used machine with low hours but that proved more difficult than I thought. The difference on a 10 yr old machine with 750-1500 hours was in most cases $3-5K, that just didn't make sense to not buy new. The fact that all tractors (in Canada anyway) are increasing in price by 4% in March helped make the decision.

So, I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a new L4060 with cab with the following:

LA805 loader, 72" square bucket/skid steer

R4 industrial tires

third function

block heater

loaded tires

LP 72" box scraper

Walco 2000 lbs pallet forks

HLA 66" light duty root grapple

I also separately ordered a Woodland Mills WC68 6" PTO driven wood chipper. I'll look for a snow blade before next winter.

I like the idea of having the full warranty and good relationship/support from the local dealer.

Thank you to all who weighed in and provided excellent information in helping make my decision. I take delivery in a month or so (at my request) and will post pics then.

Re reading your specs, I notice there are not any rear remotes. Do you never plan on using a 3 point implement that requires hydraulics? I had 2 added at purchase, and am glad I did. I use them for an angling blade with toplink, and for the rotation/ deflector on a snowblower.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Very nice, congrats. I'm kind of surprised you didn't pick up a snowblower at the same time.
I decided this late in the season and the fact that I won't get it for a few weeks yet that I'd wait and maybe pick up a used front blade next Fall. The chipper is something I'll use right away and all summer so I went with that instead as an immediate purchase.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Re reading your specs, I notice there are not any rear remotes. Do you never plan on using a 3 point implement that requires hydraulics? I had 2 added at purchase, and am glad I did. I use them for an angling blade with toplink, and for the rotation/ deflector on a snowblower.

There are 2 rear remotes and third function for the front.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I decided this late in the season and the fact that I won't get it for a few weeks yet that I'd wait and maybe pick up a used front blade next Fall. The chipper is something I'll use right away and all summer so I went with that instead as an immediate purchase.
Nothing wrong with that. I was just a little curious because I was under the impression that you folks get a fair bit of snow there. Anyway, all the best of luck with your new investment, I know you'll enjoy it.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Nothing wrong with that. I was just a little curious because I was under the impression that you folks get a fair bit of snow there. Anyway, all the best of luck with your new investment, I know you'll enjoy it.
Yes we get a good dump here every year. Our lot is still vacant, build is starting this spring so that's why there's no rush. Next winter will be a different story and I'll have what I need in place.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yes we get a good dump here every year. Our lot is still vacant, build is starting this spring so that's why there's no rush. Next winter will be a different story and I'll have what I need in place.
Sounds good, best of luck to you my friend.